The Official Ashes 09 Thread

ECB-logo.jpg
VS
cricket-australia-logo.jpg

5th Ashes Test. England v Australia- Aug 20-24th at The Oval

It all boils down to this. Two combatants lock horns in the oldest of cricket battles. Australia versus England, the final test of the series, with both teams still able to win, lose or draw the series. A draw will see Australia retain the Ashes.

This has been an epic series. Although England was rolled comprehensively in the fourth test, these teams are evenly matched. The series has had many twists and turns.

The first test at Cardiff ended in a draw, largely thanks to some stoic batting by Paul Collingwood, who played out 245 balls in scoring 74 on the last day. Australia’s batsman hit form early with Katich, North and Haddin all scoring tons and Ponting scoring a brilliant 150. Michael Clarke also made 83. There were criticisms of the Australian bowling attack being unable to finish the English tail to win the test, Panesar, Anderson and Swann were able to weather the assault long enough to secure the draw.

The second test at Lords saw Australia stumble at one of their favourite grounds. England’s openers set the scene with Strauss scoring 161 and Cook 95. England managed to score 425 and when Anderson and Onions ripped through Australia’s first innings to bowl them out for 215, Australia struggled to stay in the game. England amassed 311 declared in their second innings setting Australia over 500 to win in the fourth innings. Australia managed to rally for 406, with Clarke in great touch making 136 and Johnson and Haddin making 50s in the lower order, but it was not enough.

The third test at Edgebaston saw young Australian opener Phil Hughes dropped, with Shane Watson taking his place. Debutant keeper Graham Manou also came into the team at the last minute after Haddin broke a finger in the warm up. The match was rain affected and ended in a draw. Watson had some success at the top of the order making 50s in both innings, while Michael Clarke continued his fine run of form with an unbeaten ton in the second innings. There was success for the swing bowlers of both teams, with Hilfenhaus picking up 4 wickets and Anderson 5 in the respective first innings.

The teams moved to Headingly for the fourth test, with Australia comprehensively beating England in three days. England’s batting faltered badly in the first innings, managing only 102 all out. Stuart Clark replaced Hauritz in the team and choked the English batting to take 3/18 in the first innings. Siddle fired with the ball to take 5/21 and roll the English tail. Australia then made 445, with Marcus North making a fine century, Clarke 93, and Ponting and Watson among the runs. It was all done and dusted as Australia rolled England in their second innings, with only some lower order resistance from Broad and Swann who both made 60s. Hilfenhaus picked up four wickets while Johnson found his lost rhythm and took five for.

We now move to The Oval, for the fifth and final test of this series. With everything at stake for both teams, here are the main selection issues:

England’s faltering middle order: Bopara, Bell and Collingwood all failed dismally in the fourth test. Every mad dog and Englishman have been named as possible inclusions in the middle order. Mark Ramprakash was considered a possibility in spite of his age, as was former Queensland batsman Stuart Law. In the end the selectors went for a more conventional selection, naming the uncapped Jonathon Trott as Ravi Bopara’s replacement. Trott is an aggressive right hand batsman who averages 44 in First Class cricket.

Australia’s bowling attack:
The pacemen all hit their straps in the fourth test, and the question is whether or not Stuart Clark or Nathan Hauritz will play in the final test. Clark’s control and wicket taking was vital in setting up the win, but selectors have murmured that they would prefer 3 pacemen and a spinner. Hauritz has bowled well all series, but Clark could consider himself unlucky if dropped.

Leading Run Scorers This Series

Micheal Clarke- 445 runs at 89.00
Marcus North- 349 runs at 69.80
Andrew Strauss- 344 at 49.14
Ricky Ponting- 311 at 51.30
Simon Katich- 249 at 41.33

Leading Wicket Takers This Series

Ben Hilfenhaus- 18 wickets at 26.38
Peter Siddle- 16 wickets at 29.50
Mitchell Johnson- 16 wickets at 32.62
Stuart Broad- 12 wickets at 36.33
James Anderson- 12 wickets at 39.91

Thursday weather, London

14.gif

• Heavy Rain Shower
  • Max: 25°C 77°F
  • Sunrise: 05:54
Friday weather, London

3.gif

• Sunny Intervals
  • Max: 22°C 72°F
  • Sunrise: 05:56

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRING IT ON!!!!

bornblueegg said:
For me its not the preparation, the coaching or anything else. It was the team performance.

We can see it needs to be pitched up, they're told to pitch it up and no other them do.

We can see from the first shambolic innings our mistakes from batting so we do the same stupid thing.

we lost wickets in clusters and did not do a boycott (hate the bloke) but he could get out of a hole like that.

Fair play, our friends from the land of the kangaroo out played us in every department and no doubt I'll have a certain Russian ballet dancer telling me it was Strauss' fault, but no.

It wasn't the ball, it wasn't losing KP or Freddie, it wasn't even the pitch. It certainly wasn't the coaching staff or the teams preparation.

It was, quite simply failure to take part.

Balls people

Named in honour of Colin Bell actually,blueegg - I'll just add it to the multitude of your other errors.
Why do you singularly fail to see any fault in our captain,despite almost every major cricket expert highlighting them?
I can hardly be bothered listing yet again his numerous shortcomings,but if you honestly think that choosing to bat first in the most recent fiasco was inspired decision-making,then I despair.
Yes, the team as a whole did fail.
But who is ultimately responsible for motivating,leading and getting the best out of that team?
Strauss is a lousy captain,by any yardstick,and is only captain by default.
I fervently hope England win this test,and therefore the Ashes.
But if they manage to do so,it would be despite his lack of direction and not because of it.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
bornblueegg said:
For me its not the preparation, the coaching or anything else. It was the team performance.

We can see it needs to be pitched up, they're told to pitch it up and no other them do.

We can see from the first shambolic innings our mistakes from batting so we do the same stupid thing.

we lost wickets in clusters and did not do a boycott (hate the bloke) but he could get out of a hole like that.

Fair play, our friends from the land of the kangaroo out played us in every department and no doubt I'll have a certain Russian ballet dancer telling me it was Strauss' fault, but no.

It wasn't the ball, it wasn't losing KP or Freddie, it wasn't even the pitch. It certainly wasn't the coaching staff or the teams preparation.

It was, quite simply failure to take part.

Balls people

Named in honour of Colin Bell actually,blueegg - I'll just add it to the multitude of your other errors.
Why do you singularly fail to see any fault in our captain,despite almost every major cricket expert highlighting them?
I can hardly be bothered listing yet again his numerous shortcomings,but if you honestly think that choosing to bat first in the most recent fiasco was inspired decision-making,then I despair.
Yes, the team as a whole did fail.
But who is ultimately responsible for motivating,leading and getting the best out of that team?
Strauss is a lousy captain,by any yardstick,and is only captain by default.
I fervently hope England win this test,and therefore the Ashes.
But if they manage to do so,it would be despite his lack of direction and not because of it.
If Straussis ultimately responsible, which I agree with how if we win can it be despite of..

teams in:

Australia (unchanged)
Simon Katich, Shane Watson, Ricky Ponting (capt) , Michael Hussey, Michael Clarke, Marcus North, Brad Haddin (wk), Mitchell Johnson, Stuart Clark, Peter Siddle, Ben Hilfenhaus

England
IN: Flintoff, Trott
OUT: Onions, Bopara
Andrew Strauss (capt), Alastair Cook, Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Jonathan Trott, Matt Prior (wk), Andrew Flintoff, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, Steve Harmison, James Anderson

Blue down under said:
First blow struck by ENGLAND, winning the toss and Strauss electing to bat.

We just need ONE early wicket and we are into the tail...

Your gonna see a masterclass in cricket sonny Jim, ELngland are gonna walk all over you.

*Nurse, it's happening again...*

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.