The official EDS and academy thread 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
LoveCity said:
4-3 to Palace. So that's 11 goals in the last 4 games our EDS have let in now, we seem to sign plenty of nice midfield and attacking prospects but maybe we should do some work on our defence? Especially as Rekik isn't likely to play for the EDS much again.

Our only decent defensive prospect is away on loan.
Player development comes first, results come second.

LoveCity said:
You can't stop trying to develop the best players in a position because you have top players at first team though. Look at Barcelona, they have midfielders in their B team who would probably get in some Premier League and La Liga sides. It's better to have a luxury of riches, you can at least sell them on (with clauses) then to help FFP and your academy's reputation.

Also I'd rate Boyata's chances here as below 5% now and I don't know where the hype for Nuhu has come from (maybe that YouTube video...), he's 21 (almost 22) and not even been loaned anywhere better than the Norwegian league yet, the same league Mohammed Abu was a star and has since gone on to struggle in La Liga, 2. Bundesliga, and Ligue 1. I'll be very (pleasantly) surprised if he winds up in the first team fray.

Only Rekik seems to have a chance IMO of those you listed who aren't already in the first team. Yet it seems we have tons of midfield and strike prospects. Maybe some better defensive prospects will come through the 16s and 18s like Tosin Adarabioyo.
Completely agree about continually developing all positions but i wonder if they have priorities? How limited is the EDS squad size at the moment?
Your probably right about Boyata, gutted for him, thought he might make it.

mgreenz97 said:
LoveCity said:
4-3 to Palace. So that's 11 goals in the last 4 games our EDS have let in now, we seem to sign plenty of nice midfield and attacking prospects but maybe we should do some work on our defence? Especially as Rekik isn't likely to play for the EDS much again.

Yes, that old mantra to excuse our academy's failings (I agree results aren't the all important but there is a line where a club's academy setup descends into farce and we've crossed it I think). But the fact we're shipping in about 3 goals a game at the moment at U21 suggests our defenders aren't developing doesn't it? And we have an experienced defender (Boyata) in that back line.

The combined value of the team that lost today probably pushes £10million with Guidetti, Lopes, Suarez, Boyata in there yet we're heading the wrong way in the lowest group. Questions have to be asked of the coaching, let's not just hide behind "Results don't matter!".

LoveCity said:
mgreenz97 said:
LoveCity said:

Yes, that old mantra to excuse our academy's failings (I agree results aren't the all important but there is a line where a club's academy setup descends into farce and we've crossed it I think). But the fact we're shipping in about 3 goals a game at the moment at U21 suggests our defenders aren't developing doesn't it? And we have an experienced defender (Boyata) in that back line.

The combined value of the team that lost today probably pushes £10million with Guidetti, Lopes, Suarez, Boyata in there yet we're heading the wrong way in the lowest group. Questions have to be asked of the coaching, let's not just hide behind "Results don't matter!" forever.
well, there are some good attacking/midfield talents that could play for the first team like Guidetti, Lopes and Pozo.

Strange game today.I think it was probably a fair result although we did have plenty of good situations without making the most of them.

Guidetti showed good instincts for his goal.He was marked by a giant so when the ball was swung over from a corner he didn't compete but dropped off hoping it would clear everyone which it did.Chest control followed by a cross shot which went in odd a defender.Boyata's goal was just bundled in when the keeper messed up but then they seemed to just slice through us to get two goals back.

One of them was after we gave the ball away with both full backs up field and they just got in down the inside right channel to score.The other was the same line and Lawlor was a bit unlucky he didn't save it.He got his body in the way but it looped up and bounced in.Our 3rd was a nice goal and for once Suarez got a simple pass right.Fofana was free on his right and he scored with a low shot under the keeper.

The 2nd half was weird as we probably had more of the game but for me they were always dangerous and had quick talented players up front. Twice we allowed shots from outside the box and both went in.The 2nd was especially poor as it was just a long clearance which we allowed their guy to get onto and he smashed a great volley over the keeper from quite wide out but he should never have been allowed the time to do it.

Guidetti looked fitter but did little apart from the goal.Suarez disappointed.Lopes goodish but the final ball or shot wasn't right.Boyata wasn't fit at all I didn't think.Heavily strapped on his right leg.Huws and Evans ok but I never felt they had a killer pass in them.Fofana looks like Helan and was missing too much for the playmaking role he seemed to have.Neat goal though.

The Man With The Stick said:
LoveCity said:
If the focus, at the moment, is solely developing players for the first team, then maybe they think we're covered in defence for a few years?
There's a few in our first team defence who could easily be around for another 5 years...

Kompany
Clichy
Richards
Nasty
Rekik
Nuhu
Boyata
(probably missed someone)
Kolarov is the same age as Clichy and Zabba could play for another 5 years yet.
Oh, plus Hart and Pantilimon as well.

Just got back from a bitterley cold Platt Lane and it wasn't good.

Don't get to see the younger players much, maybe 2-3 times a year but as it was Good Friday thought i would pop along.

Seen some comments that the defence is not good but i thought Plummer was excellent at centre half and Leigh impressed at left back. The problem today was they had no protection whatsoever and at times they were left all on their own as Palace who were impressive themselves upfront were left to attack freely.

Wasn't impressed by anyone else, Guidetti was lucky for his goal but did nothing all game, you can tell he's nowhere near fit. Lopes had few flashes of quality but didn't influence the game in any way and Suarez was awful, gave the ball away constantly, never looked threatening and was brought off later than he should have been. Fofana just looked like a big strong lad, took his goal well but didn't do much else but can't really say anything else as it was his first start.

It's clear there is talent there but the way they set up and are told to play is not getting the best out of the players there. Never heard Lombardo shout and felt he should have made subs much earlier like Palace did.

I don't think having a mate of the current first team manager in charge of the club's younger players is the right way to run it. It needs someone completely separate from the first team as stability and continuiity is needed to bring the best out of the players here at the moment.

Yes results don't matter at youth level but you have to see some kind of potential and on today's showing and past comments from others, no one is showing that which isn't good enough. Palace looked more promising as a team and as individuals and we looked disjointed and without a clue and we are the ones who have spent £15m+ on the current 16-18 year olds.

WNRH said:
Just got back from a bitterley cold Platt Lane and it wasn't good.

Don't get to see the younger players much, maybe 2-3 times a year but as it was Good Friday thought i would pop along.

Seen some comments that the defence is not good but i thought Plummer was excellent at centre half and Leigh impressed at left back. The problem today was they had no protection whatsoever and at times they were left all on their own as Palace who were impressive themselves upfront were left to attack freely.

Wasn't impressed by anyone else, Guidetti was lucky for his goal but did nothing all game, you can tell he's nowhere near fit. Lopes had few flashes of quality but didn't influence the game in any way and Suarez was awful, gave the ball away constantly, never looked threatening and was brought off later than he should have been. Fofana just looked like a big strong lad, took his goal well but didn't do much else but can't really say anything else as it was his first start.

It's clear there is talent there but the way they set up and are told to play is not getting the best out of the players there. Never heard Lombardo shout and felt he should have made subs much earlier like Palace did.

I don't think having a mate of the current first team manager in charge of the club's younger players is the right way to run it. It needs someone completely separate from the first team as stability and continuiity is needed to bring the best out of the players here at the moment.

Yes results don't matter at youth level but you have to see some kind of potential and on today's showing and past comments from others, no one is showing that which isn't good enough. Palace looked more promising as a team and as individuals and we looked disjointed and without a clue and we are the ones who have spent £15m+ on the current 16-18 year olds.

Can't really disagree with anything there from what I saw apart from re Plummer.I wouldn't say he had a bad game although he did allow that long ball to be brought down and volleyed in for the winning goal and just looked stunned that the guy had pulled it off.Yes it was a great bit of ability but that can happen when you let them have a go.

Even their 3rd goal,Leigh had forced the guy across the box and approx to the edge of the D but he was just allowed to shoot and score with a great left footer.Should a central defender have got out to block it or was it the job of Evans or Huws as sitting midfield players.The end result is we allowed to longish shots to be taken and both went in.

I actually have been impressed with Plummer this year but I am still not wholly convinced.Leigh I like at left back but I didn't think he was all that good today and was caught out positionally a few times.

I too am not sure about Lombardo.I don't care if he Mancini's best mate or his sister as long as he is a top coach but I doubt he is that. He does seem a little quiet from all the games I have seen.

Its a joke that Lombardos main credentials for coaching a big part of the future of our club are based around the fact he is Mancinis mate.

I'm not sure any of our young 'stars' have progressed to the standard expected,none are close to the first team,however much we hope and kid ourselves,that can't be just bad luck can it?

Razak is reasonably close... as in, 2 injuries away from possibly getting some meaningful game time... then again, Mancini would probably go and shift Milner to the middle then, so maybe 3 injuries away. ;)

I think most of the kids we sign have the fundamental talent to be high level players, our developmental system and poor choices of loans (look at what an actual good loan can do for a player - Guidetti/Feyenoord... just so rare) tend to ruin/hurt their potential. Boyata had an incredible amount of potential, it's amazing he has deteriorated to what he has become.

Players with the natural ability of Suarez and co., do you think they'd be failing at Ajax? They'd probably have 30+ first team appearances now and be on talkSPORT's "Here's what you need to know about Man United/City target Denis Suarez" features.

If we loan someone to Feyenoord next season let's hope it's someone better than Elabdellaoui because that is a great place for someone to develop if they can get in the team. Maybe Razak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.