The Official EDS and Academy Thread 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
CTID101 said:
Sorry mate but I think it says it all that none of those teams came in for any of those players, they are clearly just not that good.

I can't imagine the club rejecting any offers to take one of our lads on loan so the offers clearly didn't come in and we had to use our little black book to get Wabara out to Doncaster and Rusnak out to Oldham etc.

Rekik is an exception.

Let's look no further than the case of Andros Townsend for an example of not writing a player off. 21,22,23,24 is not old. Gaining confidence and learning the game is key for young players. The likes of wilshere, rooney and fabregas bursting on the scene at 16-17 is rare. Most players don't peak til mid to late 20s. Not saying keep everyone on books but should not be a case of "he is 21, he hasn't played for the first team, he won't make it".

I am not writing them off but just saying that I have seen a lot of people say "Oh why don't we loan X to Y or Z"

I am just saying its not as easy as that, we have always struggled really to get players out on loan and I think it really does come down to the fact they are deemed by alot of managers not good enough because from the outside I don't see teams knocking down our door to loan some of the players who we as fans have put as the big hopes to come out of the academy.

salfordpaul said:
Rekic is no gem of our academy. Never trained there, hardly played there, fast - tracked and propelled to senior football and bought for 2 million euros. In short I feel you have probably been at academy site more than him I guess. He is no academy gem. He has flirted with our first team and on his 3rd loan. He is good enough to be talked about as a developing first team player. He didn't even take his coat off at platt lane. Gems aren't bought in football. Gems are found and often cheap or for no money at all. 2million euros is not a gem it's an expensive punt. Somebody like Dennayor could be classed as a gem "hopefully" and any local we collect for free but 2 million gem??? I personally don't think so nor do I think he will ever play again in our first team. But Dennayor will IMO

Did Rekik shag your missus? you seem to have a vendetta against him.

salfordpaul said:
Rekic is no gem of our academy. Never trained there, hardly played there, fast - tracked and propelled to senior football and bought for 2 million euros. In short I feel you have probably been at academy site more than him I guess. He is no academy gem. He has flirted with our first team and on his 3rd loan. He is good enough to be talked about as a developing first team player. He didn't even take his coat off at platt lane. Gems aren't bought in football. Gems are found and often cheap or for no money at all. 2million euros is not a gem it's an expensive punt. Somebody like Dennayor could be classed as a gem "hopefully" and any local we collect for free but 2 million gem??? I personally don't think so nor do I think he will ever play again in our first team. But Dennayor will IMO
Would that be the Belgian Jason Denayer who has been at the club since 1st July this year?

spinzer said:
salfordpaul said:
All i can say is wait and see.
The only question now is how Rekik recovers from that injury, and if he can get into his old form which he was in before his injury, cause he was pure class. Ask anyone who watches Eredivisie.

People are going way over the top re Rekik imo.

Long long way to go before being a Premier League central defender. Nowhere near it v Milan in either game, mostly just a spectator then dropped a few clangers/fouls. The suggestion is that he is a better prospect than players we have had in the past. He simply isn't. We have had other young cbs over the years who were very impressive at a young age & never made it. Some of them were physically much better suited to our league. He may not even be in the top prospects at our club. If he does make it, I recon it'll be in a different position.

Agree that Denayer looks a level above, but still not sure he will be a centre back either. Potentially top player in some position though.

Neville Kneville said:
People are going way over the top re Rekik imo.

Do you blame them though when the coach of the EDS said it would be a "failure of the club" if Rekik doesn't make it?

Rekik is playing and impressing at a decent level (where the more experienced Boyata completely failed last season, as well as Abdi Ibrahim and Omar E. - who is now playing in the Bundesliga) at the age of 18. 18! Most defenders aren't Nastasic and develop slowly... look at Vidic who was loaned out to a small Serbian club in his early 20s. Let's not forget that Rekik, aged 18, was called up not for Netherlands U19s or U21s, but for their senior team before his injury. So visibly he is highly rated by important figures in the game.

Denayer does look a talent, but it's also premature to say he's better than Rekik since Denayer has yet to kick a ball in anger at senior level, whereas Rekik, who is only 6 months older, already has a series of loan spells under his belt and some Champions League experience... add Europa League to that once he recovers from his injury (soon). However, Denayer does have that aura of class about him like Kompany and should be loaned out next season.

I really don't understand the lack of optimism about Rekik on here. The lad is so far ahead of where most quality CB's are at his age. Far too many people seem to be mentioning him being too small aswell? Moronic, he's 6 foot. If that's too small to be a CB then someone better go tell Thiago Silva, Sergio Ramos, Carlos Puyol, Diego Godin, Walter Samuel, Collocini, Koscielny, Vermaelan, Jagielka, Kolo Toure, Marquinhos, Miranda and Demichellis that they should pack their bags then. Ridiculous.

The sad thing is, if he wasn't owned by us but was just owned by PSV and doing this well, I'm sure half of the naysayers would be falling over themselves saying how we should pay £20m for him, just like with Marquinhos. Have a bit of faith FFS

BigOscar said:
I really don't understand the lack of optimism about Rekik on here. The lad is so far ahead of where most quality CB's are at his age. Far too many people seem to be mentioning him being too small aswell? Moronic, he's 6 foot. If that's too small to be a CB then someone better go tell Thiago Silva, Sergio Ramos, Carlos Puyol, Diego Godin, Walter Samuel, Collocini, Koscielny, Vermaelan, Jagielka, Kolo Toure, Marquinhos, Miranda and Demichellis that they should pack their bags then. Ridiculous.

The sad thing is, if he wasn't owned by us but was just owned by PSV and doing this well, I'm sure half of the naysayers would be falling over themselves saying how we should pay £20m for him, just like with Marquinhos. Have a bit of faith FFS

Some morons might be saying lets pay 20 mil for him, but they would be morons, he has proved nothing.

Nastasic was Bobby Moore, Maldini & fucking Beckenbauer rolled into one last season according to some. Now most people with a brain are starting to realise that he is a kid, who may or may not become a top player. The proof is in actual defending, not just looking nice & tidy. Rekik is currently not good enough at it to be anywhere near City as a cb at Prem level. The last time he played in our reserves he was nowhere near good enough for example to stop Liverpool or Utds kid strikers, they left him for dead.

Nedem Onuoha was a miles better cb than him at the same age. As was Micah, who is now a fullback, Ian Brightwell, Steve Redmond & several other cbs who ended up playing at a lower level with barely a first team appearence.

He did ok, when we played him at fullback.

Ok.

Not earth shatteringly the best kid of his age you've ever seen, not anywhere near Micah at the same age, just ok.

He is a young kid who has a chance of making it. That's it.

The rest, as with Nastasic last season, is bullshit similar to the kind of nonsense the rags spout about their young players.

BigOscar said:

agree

mansour's tow ropes said:
BigOscar said:

agree

Why would anyone want to pay 20 mil for a kid who doesn't currently look as good as the bloke next to him who isn't good enough for Chelsea ?

Can someone explain ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.