The official We want rooney at city thread!

savo said:
Mods,
Can we get a poll going on this one? I'm convinced that the majority of posters on here will deplore the idea of Shrek in a city shirt.

Errrrrrrrm there is 1,,,,,,lol

Nay-sayers! Read this. Think on.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/james-lawton-ferguson-feels-old-trafford-sands-shifting-beneath-his-feet-2111202.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 11202.html</a>

James Lawton: Ferguson feels Old Trafford sands shifting beneath his feet
Rooney's desire to walk away leaves United manager cast in the unlikely role of victim

It may still be a little too early to dismantle the stage at the Theatre of Dreams but if you wanted to find the face of changing times yesterday it was the one owned by Sir Alex Ferguson.

You had to go back to the sheepishly backheeled goal by one of their greatest heroes, Denis Law, that briefly condemned them to the wilderness of the old Second Division at, of all places, Manchester City's Maine Road, to find a time when Manchester United had been so roughly thrust into an uncertain future.

Ferguson looked pained and more than a little bewildered when he announced that, yes, it was true, Wayne Rooney had made himself available to the highest bidder, had decided that United was, all of a sudden, someone else's dream and paymaster.

The strongest word is that Rooney, like his former team-mate Carlos Tevez, will soon enough be wearing the light blue of City, the club who may, finally, have achieved the ambition which so many times they have been forced to believe United had proofed against all threat and possibility.

Back in the Fifties the tactical improvisation of City's Les McDowall, who borrowed his Revie Plan of a withdrawn centre-forward from the brilliant Hungarians and had the phenomenal goalkeeping of Bert Trautmann, won an FA Cup but it couldn't begin to impinge on the momentum of the Busby Babes.

The Munich air tragedy threatened the very existence of United but it was quickly apparent that, with the likes of Bobby Charlton, George Best and Law, they would become strong at the broken places.

When the superb partnership of Malcolm Allison and Joe Mercer conjured the league title for City in 1968, the euphoria lasted only for the few days before United won their first European Cup against Benfica at Wembley.

Now, though, the end of all the years City have had reason to believe they were attempting to scale Mount Eiger in carpet slippers may well have been signalled by the Ferguson grimace and the forlorn admission that he had failed to persuade Rooney that his future lay at Old Trafford.

If it is true, if Rooney is indeed about to inhabit the Ali Baba cave of City's Arabian wealth, Ferguson knows well enough that he cannot expect the smallest wave of sympathy outside his citadel of Old Trafford – one that in the realities of football, which in today's game are shaped so hugely by random wealth, has never looked remotely so vulnerable in the era of the Premier League.

Ferguson for so long has exploited, with a shameless but brilliant ruthlessness, every advantage that has come his way. Some of his most celebrated servants, Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, even his alter ego Roy Keane, have felt the force of his judgement that, one way or another, they have outlived their usefulness. Yesterday we had another and entirely different picture. It was of Ferguson no longer the master of all he surveyed, no longer the man who turned almost every situation to his advantage, but one stretched and harried by new and unfamiliar circumstances.

Ferguson, the most successful manager in the history of English football, was plainly, and at least for a little while, cast in the unlikely role of victim.

Victim of the constraints imposed upon him by the bizarre situation of United, one of the game's ultimate cash cows, painfully crimped by a debt load unimaginable in those days when he was converting them from a club up for auction at around £13m into a juggernaut concern valued at close to a billion. A victim, also maybe, of Rooney's need for support in the self-imposed disasters of his private life that a ferocious old professional found impossible to provide.

Most of all, though, you have to suspect, Ferguson has suffered most from a dividing line that has never before been quite so arbitrary; the sheer scale of the wealth available elsewhere to a footballer in his mid-twenties who, you might have thought, had already acquired spending power beyond his dreams.

Yes, of course, there is a supreme irony here in that for so long Ferguson had every reason to believe that he could straddle that dividing line with hardly a care in the world.

He could beat down the doors of White Hart Lane and come away with Dimitar Berbatov. He could speculate on the potential of Cristiano Ronaldo at a give-away £12m. He could snap up Rio Ferdinand.

Now he has to look into the unyielding face of a Wayne Rooney, who despite the horrors of his recent experiences on and off the field, has the unbreakable understanding that at City he could snap his fingers for more than the near £200,000 a week already obtained by the strong but scarcely comparable Yaya Touré.

We know how Ferguson will handle any of the consequences that flow from his current crisis. He will fight on, talking up the best that he has left and treating any challenger to his position as just another outrageous imposter. It is the way he rose and, we can be sure, it will be the way he goes down, if that is indeed his fate.

He knows, of course, that nothing is guaranteed in football, and certainly not to City, who have been cast as his most likely tormentors, if they pay something like £100m for a player who in recent months has not exactly provided cast-iron evidence of the durability of his talent or the stability of his character.

The trouble, for Ferguson, is that he knows that when all is right with the prodigy who left Everton, his beloved Everton, with scarcely a backward glance, Rooney is capable of doing anything he likes on a football field. He carries the mystique and all the possibilities of natural-born genius.

That, be sure, is what burrowed deepest behind the haunted expression of the Manchester United manager yesterday. Such players as Rooney and Ronaldo are not supposed to walk away from Old Trafford. At least it was so before Wayne Rooney told Ferguson, with such shocking abruptness, that the football world had changed – and might, for him, never be quite the same again.

carrconormcfc said:
lee-mcfc said:
samaras please come back
Rather have him back than knowing the money I'm paying for tickets is going staight into that fat scouse twats back pocket

U ain't lying either are yers,,well thats where i go to bed,serious m8 i know we all have opinions but we have to leave the past behind us,and go forward as 1 with our owner if we want this to work,if not heyho,we can always go back to the good old days eh!!!!

Pam, nothing I read will change my opinion on Rooney. Well, maybe if he scored for the rags before taking his rag top off to reveal a City one underneath :)

You called him absolute gash last week. I just don't understand how him being linked to us suddenly makes him a better player.<br /><br />-- 20 Oct 2010, 03:17 --<br /><br />
superblue91 said:
carrconormcfc said:
Rather have him back than knowing the money I'm paying for tickets is going staight into that fat scouse twats back pocket

U ain't lying either are yers,,well thats where i go to bed,serious m8 i know we all have opinions but we have to leave the past behind us,and go forward as 1 with our owner if we want this to work,if not heyho,we can always go back to the good old days eh!!!!
We have unlimited resources. We don't have to associate ourselves with rag bellends. Plenty of other quality strikers out there.

carrconormcfc said:
larderland said:
in reply to the we dont want rooney thread were everyone is showing their obsession with the rags!!!tevez was a red until he came to us,loyalty means fuk all these days in football,sure tevez goes round every day saying he wants to quit football,jeez he must really be loyal... but yet no one says anything

anyway back to the point,hes a fantastic footballer,he would considerably weaken one of our main rivals and for me personally it would put the final nail in the coffin for man united football club, ppl keep saying tick tock but if this deal happened united would be finished in my opinion. i think ppl underestimate how big this deal would be on and off the pitch for both clubs.ye hes a rag but so was law and tevez,deal with it and if you listen to collymore,j redknapp and balague seems its a done deal and as merson said earlier there's no way you walk into Manchester united and say i want to leave without something definitely sorted out

so for me a no brainer,great footballer who will dramatically help us to win trophies
Words cannot describe how hypocritical that post is.
try them
tap up and down on the pretty letters and see if you can make some words

cant believe that people dont want him just because hes played for them lot!! yes hes been a little twat the last couple of years in his personal life but jesus last season football wise he was amazing!!!! if sheik mansour and the board want him then can we at least back sheik mansours judgement?? am sure he winces at some of the comments city fans make over certain things! time to stop acting like spoilt children and appreciate what is being done for our beloved club!! yes dzeko is an amzing player but why should sheik mansour pay well over £50m for him??? for some people on here they think its football manager and its not!! certain players come up at certain times that you cannot turn down and i believe this is one of them! how about we go back to the good old days of having nothing and aiming to finish any where higher than 4th from bottom?!?! FFS!!

richards30 said:
cant believe that people dont want him just because hes played for them lot!! yes hes been a little twat the last couple of years in his personal life but jesus last season football wise he was amazing!!!! if sheik mansour and the board want him then can we at least back sheik mansours judgement?? am sure he winces at some of the comments city fans make over certain things! time to stop acting like spoilt children and appreciate what is being done for our beloved club!! yes dzeko is an amzing player but why should sheik mansour pay well over £50m for him??? for some people on here they think its football manager and its not!! certain players come up at certain times that you cannot turn down and i believe this is one of them! how about we go back to the good old days of having nothing and aiming to finish any where higher than 4th from bottom?!?! FFS!!

What a load of Crap
One good season.
He hated us. Even stamped on a city scarf during the derby No Thanks

Damocles said:
dpkmanc said:
Ever used your eyes? I know you rate him so fair play, I don't see it, you do. However, look within your heart, Wayne Rooney? He isn't Lionel Messi, is he? And let's be honest, he knows that £200k-a-week is an option that Platini has put an end to within the next 3 years. I wouldn't have a heart attack if he joined us but I'd much rather Balotelli showed us what a genuinely world-class player looked like.

The time that we start signing players based upon 'feelings' rather than potential performance on the pitch is the time that there is absolutely no point to football any more.

It's a sport. A competition of 22 men plus their respective sides. I want City to win, thus I want the best possible staff and players at the club. He is better than what we currently have (Ade, RSC), has worked with Tevez before to huge success, and would fit nicely into a front 3 of Rooney, Tevez and Balotelli.

If Balo is good enough (WHICH HE ABSOLUTELY IS), he will get in the team whether Rooney is in front of him or Samaras is.

I don't care if he comes because he is getting paid a fortune, likes the colour blue, is shagging Ricky Hatton or was told to by his imaginary imp friend. There are absolutely no players currently at City who would still play for us if we were in Division Two, football is a selfish game and the realities of it must be faced. None of those people love the club as much as we do, and I highly doubt that even the older players such as Lee, Bell and Summerbee ever did. They might do now that they have been around for 40 years, but just after they signed, they didn't care (even the City fans amongst them still understand that football is a job, like any other). Our very own assistant manager was the assistant at United for over a decade, and played for them as well as us. However, he was seen as a 'safe pair of hands' when Mancini came in who 'knew nothing about the English game' by some fans.

It is possible within a contract to reject a move elsewhere. Even if the club accept a bid, you can say no, and that you want to stay.
Even if you don't get into the first team, or even the reserves, if being part of a club was that important, you would do it.

There is no love from those players, because they are all new. None of them have the club's best interests at heart (as they haven't had time to grow to love us), so why should we turn away somebody who could potentially give US the fans huge enjoyment (by propelling us to greater heights, by scoring important goals, by rubbing it in to the rags faces) just because some romantic notion of 'soul' which hasn't existed since the days of Meredith hangs over our head?

Fuck that, I'd personally enjoy him playing for City, for a variety of reasons, and I believe that he would add to the squad, whilst still having his best years to come. That's enough of a reason for me.
exactly this ^^^^^^^

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.