The old days

Most matches being 3pm on a Saturday and tickets were never an issue. You also kept hold of the ticket for future proof of attendance!

I started going in 1998 which is nothing for some of you lot.

No I don't.

Football without financial influence causing disparity predates me watching football and I started in 1994.

Being a City fan has never been any different. It was fucking mint when we were shit, it’s fucking mint now.

You can live without all the microanalysis of everything off the pitch and finances if you wanted to. I don’t read the press unless a good article pops up in my WhatsApp group (shit articles are banned). Negative press doesn’t have any effect on City winning so I’ve no idea why anyone pays any attention to it. I don’t listen to talkSPORT, I don’t watch Sky Sports News…

As
You miss when we were shit, it used to kick off all the time and you couldn’t watch the games you didn’t make it to and coverage was a side column in the MEN?

We’re absolutely blessed to be winning it all now and watching hundreds of angles of every action at your finger tips day and night rather than passing round vhs to watch on shitty tv’s like United in 99.

It might be more expensive but the day out is better as well, town is a million miles ahead of any time before.

I don’t reckon theres any fans in England ever had a better time of it than City fans having a day out in NQ/Ancoats with their mates, strolling to the game, watching City rip apart some “European giant”, then heading back in to town after to celebrate and soaking up the highlights and podcasts about it over next few days.
Yep, as fans and Blues there is always something to complain about, but this is still a golden era. The monetisation of the game is intense, but that's the world these days. If football had carried on the way it was in the 80s matchgoing could have dropped to county cricket levels and it's not inconceivable that the game would have died, attendances across the board were awful, now they're back at fifties levels. The whole politics around football is largely a PL media phenomenon. If you follow a team lower down the leagues there's still an old school energy, and if you follow a top team likes ours has become, but just go to the games and watch the games, but don't read all the waffle in the national press, most of the drama disappears and you're left with a brilliant game. End of the day you either went to the match or didn't go to the match, watched it on telly or didn't watch it on telly, identify with the badge or don't identify with the badge. Only so much else I can pay attention to.

Being a City fan has never been any different. It was fucking mint when we were shit, it’s fucking mint now.

You can live without all the microanalysis of everything off the pitch and finances if you wanted to. I don’t read the press unless a good article pops up in my WhatsApp group (shit articles are banned). Negative press doesn’t have any effect on City winning so I’ve no idea why anyone pays any attention to it. I don’t listen to talkSPORT, I don’t watch Sky Sports News…
Quite agree.

I'm turning 60 this year and will have lived in Canada for 45 years.
The best part of my life and the years that are full of my fondest memories are the ten or so that I would go to watch City on a regular basis.
From first being stuck on my Dads shoulders in the Kippax to going down to the match with my mate Rourkey without a penny in our pockets other than bus fare home.
It would have been my Dads birthday today so, thanks Dad. I can still smell he beer, cigs and Manchester rain on your camel hair coat.

The final Pearce season was very difficult and pushed me to the extreme.

I’ve no idea whether this was true but I understand renewals were way down and only picked up when Thaksin Shinawatra bought the club and appointed Sven.

The 75 76 season in particular the semi against Boro was the best watching City ever got for me. The atmosphere and buzz on the Kippax, the great old pubs in Moss Side, Rusholme and town. Racism never a problem at City the cool cats saw to that. Mind you I will have rose tinted glasses on I was 19 then 67 now, everyone thinks their youth was magical.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.