The Perfect Pushup...

bluebrown said:
Bigga said:
Since I've lost so much weight, recently, I've seen this product advertised lately, used by the Navy SEALs...

perfect-pushup2.jpg

Does anybody have these? If so, what are they like to use??
HA HA saw the advert for this last night, so funny. Just normal push ups will do the same

roaminblue said:
i really wouldn't bother mate. its just a money making scheme. you can get everything you get from that in a regular push up, or other body weight exercises. Even if it does work your body twice as hard, just do twice as many regular push ups.

Interesting, you both think so! I used to swear by push ups before my weight loss and now I'm finding it harder to generate the same energy needed for the effect I had, when I was last fit.

I have used dumb bells to twist and push out doing flys and have great results on my chest but not my back(cos I was restricting the muscle activity by lying down). Would this product not allow me to get both usages from my chest and back?

merlot somme said:
With push ups it does make a difference how far apart your hands are, and how low relative to the position of your hands your body can move (try doing push ups with each hand on a brick or a pile of books to see) but this looks a bit like a gimmick. You would probably be better off with some free weights, not too much, a 50kg set, something like that.

This is true. Many people are big proponents of free weights over cross trainers for this very reason, as they work your muscles on a more "unstable" basis and offer more muscles to be used. for example, people who swap a chest press machine for a barbell bench press often have to reduce the weight by as much as half.

if you are serious about push ups (which are a good multi-muscle work out) you do need to know there are different ways and methods.

for me, a true push up should be hands shoulder length apart, fingers facing forwards and you should lower yourself down til your chest basically touches the mat with your arms and elbows tight against your body, facing forward the entire time. If you try this as opposed to a regular wide arm push up, im sure you'll see a difference.

also try this: http://hundredpushups.com/week1.html

its a good routine and has set, clear goals which often help to keep you motivated

Bigga said:
bluebrown said:
Bigga said:
Since I've lost so much weight, recently, I've seen this product advertised lately, used by the Navy SEALs...

perfect-pushup2.jpg

Does anybody have these? If so, what are they like to use??
HA HA saw the advert for this last night, so funny. Just normal push ups will do the same

roaminblue said:
i really wouldn't bother mate. its just a money making scheme. you can get everything you get from that in a regular push up, or other body weight exercises. Even if it does work your body twice as hard, just do twice as many regular push ups.

Interesting, you both think so! I used to swear by push ups before my weight loss and now I'm finding it harder to generate the same energy needed for the effect I had, when I was last fit.

I have used dumb bells to twist and push out doing flys and have great results on my chest but not my back(cos I was restricting the muscle activity by lying down). Would this product not allow me to get both usages from my chest and back?
I think they just trying to get you to spend money that you dont need to. just get some much cheaper press up bars and alternate them from horizontal to verticle

Bigga said:

push ups are a fantastic work out, but im just against anything which is trying to make money off the back of something that can be done for free.

push ups by their very nature work your chest, your back and your arms.

i described what is my "perfect" push up above, that is very arm-tiring, particular emphasis on the tricep.

roaminblue said:
merlot somme said:
With push ups it does make a difference how far apart your hands are, and how low relative to the position of your hands your body can move (try doing push ups with each hand on a brick or a pile of books to see) but this looks a bit like a gimmick. You would probably be better off with some free weights, not too much, a 50kg set, something like that.

This is true. Many people are big proponents of free weights over cross trainers for this very reason, as they work your muscles on a more "unstable" basis and offer more muscles to be used. for example, people who swap a chest press machine for a barbell bench press often have to reduce the weight by as much as half.

if you are serious about push ups (which are a good multi-muscle work out) you do need to know there are different ways and methods.

for me, a true push up should be hands shoulder length apart, fingers facing forwards and you should lower yourself down til your chest basically touches the mat with your arms and elbows tight against your body, facing forward the entire time. If you try this as opposed to a regular wide arm push up, im sure you'll see a difference.

also try this: http://hundredpushups.com/week1.html

its a good routine and has set, clear goals which often help to keep you motivated

Maybe I'm tired, but I'm a bit confused at the set ruling! On any given day(well before I got ill) I could do 50-70 push ups in a single go(100 hundred when I was so much fitter!), but based on that, do the sets mean I do 10 in Set 1, Set 2 12, 7 Set 3 & 4 and max out til I can do no more in Set 5??

Bigga said:
Maybe I'm tired, but I'm a bit confused at the set ruling! On any given day(well before I got ill) I could do 50-70 push ups in a single go(100 hundred when I was so much fitter!), but based on that, do the sets mean I do 10 in Set 1, Set 2 12, 7 Set 3 & 4 and max out til I can do no more in Set 5??

yes, thats right.

so if you do your intial test and it puts you in the 3rd column, you would do 5 sets of push ups, with the first being 10, and the last being your maximum (but no less than 9)

that may be far to easy for you, and will be if you can bang out 70 on the trot, so maybe start on week 3 or something if you find that too easy

roaminblue said:
Bigga said:

yes, thats right.

so if you do your intial test and it puts you in the 3rd column, you would do 5 sets of push ups, with the first being 10, and the last being your maximum (but no less than 9)

that may be far to easy for you, and will be if you can bang out 70 on the trot, so maybe start on week 3 or something if you find that too easy

Cheers pal.

Gonna wait till my med tests are finished in the next four weeks, then hopefully be motivated to crack on!

Bigga said:
Cheers pal.

Gonna wait till my med tests are finished in the next four weeks, then hopefully be motivated to crack on!

good onyers mate.

if you ever wanna chat keepin fit n that, drop me a line. its one of the few passions i have. By sounds of things you had a good level of fitness so im sure you can get back to it and get yourself back. Not sure what the score is, but hope your med tests an everything go well

good luck

.whitey. said:
Have seem them myself, but not used em.

The only endorsement I can give is I was watching Hatton Vs Pacquiao 24/7, and Hatton was training with them. Great Idea in theory.

you can probably bet your arse (don't know about your chest) that anything that is visible in such well-produced and orchestrated commercials is usually only there by design and as part of a product placement agreement.

in this day and age even Hollywood screen plays are rewritten with scenes outside and in sunlight (as opposed to inside at night, as per the original story) where a character has to have a meeting over drinks at a bar, so that sunglasses and other garments/accessories (aside from the drink) can be brought into play and the production garners additional fees from its product placements.

all very sad - unless you're financing the film, but true.

Do you use a wide arm stance when you do your push ups mate?If you do then may I suggest you try the standard Royal Marines Commando style push up.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG571YkA6-w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG571YkA6-w</a>

also try this 100 push up programme.Its works,trust me!
<a class="postlink" href="http://hundredpushups.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://hundredpushups.com/index.html</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.