The Piccadilly Gardens Problem

I’m not claiming it’s Nether Alderley or Hale Barnes but there seems a bit of an overreaction on here to me. I walk across it and through it multiple times each week and I’ve never been stabbed or assaulted. Been offered drugs or been mugged. Yes, there’s a few shady characters knocking about but it seems to me that the vast majority are just ordinary looking people going about their business. Not much different to most city centres in Europe really.

I’m not claiming it’s Nether Alderley or Hale Barnes but there seems a bit of an overreaction on here to me. I walk across it and through it multiple times each week and I’ve never been stabbed or assaulted. Been offered drugs or been mugged. Yes, there’s a few shady characters knocking about but it seems to me that the vast majority are just ordinary looking people going about their business. Not much different to most city centres in Europe really.
All good then.

Perhaps the council should look south and take a leaf out of Birmingham's book in terms of a vision to improve not only Piccadilly Gardens but the wider city centre.
The piece below makes interesting reading, particularly given that it's written by someone 'passionate about his home city, Manchester'.
As someone who visited Birmingham city centre for a meeting recently for the first time in around 25 years, I was struck by how much the place had changed for the better.

Perhaps the council should look south and take a leaf out of Birmingham's book in terms of a vision to improve not only Piccadilly Gardens but the wider city centre.
The piece below makes interesting reading, particularly given that it's written by someone 'passionate about his home city, Manchester'.
As someone who visited Birmingham city centre for a meeting recently for the first time in around 25 years, I was struck by how much the place had changed for the better.
I went to Leeds recently and had a good walk around their city centre and it’s fucking spotless!

It’s not got the same gravitas or quality of buildings as Manchester but it’s much nicer because of how clean it is. Didn’t really see any litter, any bin bags strewn about, any bin juice/sick stains/piss stains/shit stains all over their pavements, any graffiti, any gangs of youths hanging around looking dodgy like we have.

I got back to Mcr, walked from Victoria to Picc Gdns, saw all of the above plus some bloke who’d been twatted on Picc Gdns and was lying on the floor with blood coming from his head with a small crowd and two Policemen stood by him.

I’ve not been to Birmingham for the same kind of trip (only ever been in, pub, Villa Park/St Andrews, pub, out), I should do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Leeds recently and had a good walk around their city centre and it’s fucking spotless!

It’s not got the same gravitas or quality of buildings as Manchester but it’s much nicer because of how clean it is. Didn’t really see any litter, any bin bags strewn about, any bin juice/sick stains/piss stains/shit stains all over their pavements, any graffiti, any gangs of youths hanging around looking dodgy like we have.

I got back to Mcr, walked from Victoria to Picc Gdns, saw all of the above plus some bloke who’d been twatted on Picc Gdns and was lying on the floor with blood coming from his head with a small crowd and two Policemen stood by him.

I’ve not been to Birmingham for the same kind of trip (only ever been in, pub, Villa Park/St Andrews, pub, out), I should do so.

Prestwich hospital used to be the largest mental health institution in Western Europe, the fact that the majority of its space is now a Tesco kind of sums up our countrys overall approach to mental health for many years and the fact that Manc has more than it's fair share of these issues is evident .

Leeds is almost like a village, one horse and football team town compared to Manc, at my age (60) that's great but a little boring compared with the creative, leisure, social, work activities on offer for younger folks in Manc.

Its dickheads are largely comatosed on weed outside the city commuting in small numbers to town compared with those for whom Piccadilly Gdns is a modern day stock exchange for spice etc

Both cities have more plusses than negatives and PG has been best avoided for decades including when it was just alcoholics, sex workers in the 70s.

Like any City once people grow up, out of certain habits, they head to the hills which in Yorkshires case include several beautiful towns such as Harrogate, York, Wetherby, its more expensive to do so now as in Manc

Even York now attracts at weekend etc characters you'd see in Piccadilly gdns, likewise their largest mental health facility is a derelict building.....

Got 2 bottles put over my head and jumped by a load of black lads in a racist attack there when I was 19. Shithouses, doormen from Yates had to help me out said I was lucky I ain't been stabbed. Was after the 6-1 against Portsmouth.

I think you've nailed it Psycho. As a new visitor to our fair city, can you imagine your first impression on encountering Piccadilly Gardens and that stretch that leads on to Market Street from the station? Frankly, it makes me feel ashamed.

Last edited:
Prestwich hospital used to be the largest mental health institution in Western Europe, the fact that the majority of its space is now a Tesco kind of sums up our countrys overall approach to mental health for many years and the fact that Manc has more than it's fair share of these issues is evident .

Leeds is almost like a village, one horse and football team town compared to Manc, at my age (60) that's great but a little boring compared with the creative, leisure, social, work activities on offer for younger folks in Manc.

Its dickheads are largely comatosed on weed outside the city commuting in small numbers to town compared with those for whom Piccadilly Gdns is a modern day stock exchange for spice etc

Both cities have more plusses than negatives and PG has been best avoided for decades including when it was just alcoholics, sex workers in the 70s.

Like any City once people grow up, out of certain habits, they head to the hills which in Yorkshires case include several beautiful towns such as Harrogate, York, Wetherby, its more expensive to do so now as in Manc

Even York now attracts at weekend etc characters you'd see in Piccadilly gdns, likewise their largest mental health facility is a derelict building.....

The mental health issue is a valid one, but in all honesty it's the people who we class as normal who can be cunts and are cunts a lot of the time in the city centre itself. It's as if the fabric of decency gets stripped away when you enter Manchester city centre.

It smells as dangerous as it looks, there is no innocence about the city there isn't any warmth it's cold uninviting and feral.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.