The Post General Election Thread

Len Rum said:
The perfect fumble said:
Rascal said:
That is all it will be.

Have you seen the scale of the cuts to Gt Manchester councils.

Osborne's words are cheap, I'll start celebrating the beginning of a "Northern Powerhouse" when I see the investment necessary to bring it about.
Is there any new money in this "Northern Powerhouse" or is it just the same money being regurgitated from Westminster to the Cities?
Manchester seem up for it ( despite their budgets being slashed again), but could Salford apply for it or any other City for that matter who fancied a piece of the "action" transferred from Westminster. These Cities could of course "blow" the money even worse than Westminster!
The good thing about this policy is that although it was a Tory sound bite which didn't really register at the election, we will now have five years to see if it really works.
At the moment it looks like a idea dreamed up by "Jeffrey" in the first flush of post electoral success. Without "new money" in five years time it will probably have been overtaken by other events and completely forgotten about.

Salford are already part of it. The new mayor will be for the whole of Greater Manchester not just the City of Manchester. The 10 councils agreed to it a few months ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/feb/12/secret-negotiations-restore-manchester-greatness

The first deals arising from the new Manchester Devolution fund are in due diligence as we speak and we will see announcements in the press within 8 weeks.

Wonderful news for Manchester is George Osborne.

Prestwich_Blue said:
worsleyweb said:
The first deals arising from the new Manchester Devolution fund are in due diligence as we speak and we will see announcements in the press within 8 weeks.

Where are they building the workhouses then?

Opposite Rascals house.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Lucky13 said:
A week on from the stunning victory and I can confirm that Tameside Hospital is still open and I haven't died from poverty.

It's too early to pronounce about the good things that the Tories will bring now they have their desperately-longed for majority!

Tameside Hospital still being open can never be classed as a good thing

Lucky13 said:
Len Rum said:
Len Rum said:
Is there any new money in this "Northern Powerhouse" or is it just the same money being regurgitated from Westminster to the Cities?
Manchester seem up for it ( despite their budgets being slashed again), but could Salford apply for it or any other City for that matter who fancied a piece of the "action" transferred from Westminster. These Cities could of course "blow" the money even worse than Westminster!
The good thing about this policy is that although it was a Tory sound bite which didn't really register at the election, we will now have five years to see if it really works.
At the moment it looks like a idea dreamed up by "Jeffrey" in the first flush of post electoral success. Without "new money" in five years time it will probably have been overtaken by other events and completely forgotten about.
My question answered by the Financial Times regarding the Northern Powerhouse:
"The prize on offer for devolved city administration is not financial but attitudinal .
Funds for health, housing and skills will shrink for years to come.
Far from portending a shower of new money devolution means ceding control over and responsibility for where the axe will fall"
Nice one George.

Just to be clear here, you'd rather Manchester not to be in control of more of its budget?
Richard Leese, Labour leader, was gushing at the prospect of a Tory idea.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.