The Post General Election Thread

Prestwich_Blue said:
Lucky13 said:
A week on from the stunning victory and I can confirm that Tameside Hospital is still open and I haven't died from poverty.
When Queen Nicola rules the North, you're going to be among the first up against the wall.

Nah, everyone has seen Braveheart, it'll be a return to being hung, drawn and quartered.

kas_tippler said:
Lucky13 said:
Len Rum said:
My question answered by the Financial Times regarding the Northern Powerhouse:
"The prize on offer for devolved city administration is not financial but attitudinal .
Funds for health, housing and skills will shrink for years to come.
Far from portending a shower of new money devolution means ceding control over and responsibility for where the axe will fall"
Nice one George.

Just to be clear here, you'd rather Manchester not to be in control of more of its budget?
Richard Leese, Labour leader, was gushing at the prospect of a Tory idea.
Most of the Labour councillors in Manchester make Thatcher look like a bleeding heart Liberal.

My late dad stood for Manchester council as a Liberal candidate in the early 1960`s and was up against the legendary Freddie Balcombe for Labour. Balcombe won but my dad polled exceptionally well.

After the result was announced he took my dad aside and said "You're a very good candidate. Why don't you come over to us and get yourself elected?" My dad said he couldn't do that to which Freddie said something like "It really doesn't matter what you actually believe but to get anything done you need to go with the flow. Labour, Liberal - it's just a label. The most important thing is getting yourself elected, however you do that."

Len Rum said:
Len Rum said:
The perfect fumble said:
Osborne's words are cheap, I'll start celebrating the beginning of a "Northern Powerhouse" when I see the investment necessary to bring it about.
Is there any new money in this "Northern Powerhouse" or is it just the same money being regurgitated from Westminster to the Cities?
Manchester seem up for it ( despite their budgets being slashed again), but could Salford apply for it or any other City for that matter who fancied a piece of the "action" transferred from Westminster. These Cities could of course "blow" the money even worse than Westminster!
The good thing about this policy is that although it was a Tory sound bite which didn't really register at the election, we will now have five years to see if it really works.
At the moment it looks like a idea dreamed up by "Jeffrey" in the first flush of post electoral success. Without "new money" in five years time it will probably have been overtaken by other events and completely forgotten about.
My question answered by the Financial Times regarding the Northern Powerhouse:
"The prize on offer for devolved city administration is not financial but attitudinal .
Funds for health, housing and skills will shrink for years to come.
Far from portending a shower of new money devolution means ceding control over and responsibility for where the axe will fall"
Nice one George.
You're right, there's no money.

This is the latest wheeze in a long tale of devolved power that never happens. Back in the day, John Prescott tried to set up regional assembles to mirror for the regions the "governments" they have in Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. There would have been regional assemblies, mayors and regional Development agencies. It came to nothing as it faltered at its first hurdle in the North East, it resulted in a few cities having mayors, no regional assembles and the disbanding of the regional development agencies. People just saw it not as "liberating" but as another layer of government and fat cat bureaucracy.

The Tories are not keen on regional assemblies, they like to play the England card as a counter to nationalism elsewhere in these Islands, it means they can also project our English national identity as kind of homogeneous Daily Mail, conservative, southern counties Morris Minor driving bloke, a bit Nigel Farage really, it's a con, I wince when they talk about speaking up as the authentic voice of England, which is their little england interpretation of our national identity dreamed up on a fag packet at some drinking hole in Westminster.

So, we have this dogs dinner proposal, if you can call it a proposal, of devolved power to spend shrinking budgets, which are still dictated by Westminster, but only if the cities chosen elect mayors, there'll be an election, but in our case that means not much more than the head of Manchester City Council playing musical chairs and then sitting down as our new mayor.

Is this exercise entirely cynical? You'll have to make your own mind up.

About the only thing that makes sense is that these City "Statelets" need, at the very least, some time to set up new procedures to decide how money is spent and where it goes, don't underestimate the size of the new local bureaucracy that will blossom in the North West empowered to spend money as "we see fit" to meet "our local priorities"

It is not devolution in any meaningful sense, the real power is retained in Westminster and specifically the Treasury, Will it result in a Northern Powerhouse? As of itself no. In a nutshell that would require a policy to join the dots in the region. Such a policy exists, there is a great deal of research done on why the area stretching from Sheffield to Liverpool, even Preston and back to Leeds could be an economic powerhouse, a population over 12 million or more, the single largest concentration of population outside London, but to use a phrase oft heard in regional development it would require massive infrastructure investment to "facilitate" all those capitalist juices flowing......roads, rail, broadband, airports, education, enterprise hubs, centres of excellence the list goes on, this stuff is not rocket science, there are plenty of examples of it working elsewhere, all over the world, a kind of "build it and they will come" philosophy.

Is this what is on offer? You decide.

worsleyweb said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
worsleyweb said:
The first deals arising from the new Manchester Devolution fund are in due diligence as we speak and we will see announcements in the press within 8 weeks.

Where are they building the workhouses then?

Opposite Rascals house.

I knew you would want them on council estates.

Keep the working class in there place aye.

M18CTID said:
Maybe I've missed something but has PB morphed into Rascal? I always had him down as more right-wing than left!

PB is a bright fella. He probably sees that the lefties on here are so hugely outnumbered by frothing far right lunatics he wants to add some balance. And the proof how far right it has become is that the very middle of the road PB is now being likened to my goodself.

Rascal said:
M18CTID said:
Maybe I've missed something but has PB morphed into Rascal? I always had him down as more right-wing than left!

PB is a bright fella. He probably sees that the lefties on here are so hugely outnumbered by frothing far right lunatics he wants to add some balance. And the proof how far right it has become is that the very middle of the road PB is now being likened to my goodself.

True.

I'm Lib Dem but but by the standards of this forum that makes me a Stalinist.

I do wonder whether one of our many right wingers on here is Jean Marie le Pen, given that he has some spare time at the present.

chabal said:
I do wonder whether one of our many right wingers on here is Jean Marie le Pen, given that he has some spare time at the present.

Le Pen would be left wing on here ;))

The idea of devolving power to the North west is a master stroke
The idiots in Manchester will go with outdated labour policies and even the short sighted the northern Labour voters will realize that the only people to blame will be Labour politicians.

This will undoubted be an unmitigated disaster for Manchester
The Conservatives have very little to loose in the North West so I actually think they have been very clever.

whp.blue said:
The idea of devolving power to the North west is a master stroke
The idiots in Manchester will go with outdated labour policies and even the short sighted the northern Labour voters will realize that the only people to blame will be Labour politicians.

This will undoubted be an unmitigated disaster for Manchester
The Conservatives have very little to loose in the North West so I actually think they have been very clever.

So you dont care Manchester faces huge cuts in its budget as long as the Tories gain votes.

Kin ell that is selfish. Manchester has some of the poorest areas in the EU ffs.

Rascal said:
chabal said:

Le Pen would be left wing on here ;))

Hey - that picture of you wearing a beret and with a string of onions around your neck.......surely not.......could it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.