The Post Transfer Deadline Day (positive) Thread

I seriously don't understand the flapping on BM - this window has been one of if not the best ever. The side is younger, hungrier and full of pace. In fact you could argue that having a slightly smaller squad means that players like Foden and Diaz will get game time in the domestic cups - something that rarely happened last year. Pep will now have time to show his coaching abilities to get the new players integrated into the system he wants. Forget all this Utd nonsense I would much rather be in our shoes. Also an added benefit is that he will be able to keep those on the bench happier as they will all get plenty of games. The Jan window will allow us to add a player if injuries dictate or if fatigue sets in - which is how a mid-season window should be used. I wouldn't be surprised if Sanchez joins then. Bernardo, a top keeper and the three fullbacks have improved us no end and we have got rid of 30+ fringe or older players = fantastic job by all concerned.

Full back additions were excellent. Silva 2 bit too similar to what we already had,won't add an awful lot new but will take the pressure off Silva 1. Goalkeeper had to be an improvement ( in fact anything would) . we needed something different up top, that's a worry. Centre half should have been addressed long before now. Dont tell me Evans was the best we could come up with.

An amazing window all in all, although I would have loved Sanchez and another CB (not Evans).

We are not gonna let the same situation where we have to offload and buy loads of players happen again, and the fact that we have almost filled every problem area and shipped away almost all deadwood (apart from Mangala and Delph), we look very strong for the future.

We have 16 brilliant players, 2 great prospects and 2/3 squad fillers (Mangala, Delph maybe Zinchenko). We have a potential brilliant team with options.

I only have 2 concerns, firstly we are very light in cover at centre back, left back and forward so if we are to win the league we're going to have to be very lucky with injuries. Secondly our achilles heel last season and so far this - our profligacy, if we'd signed Sanchez that might have helped, but if we continue missing chance after chance then it could be a very frustrating season.

The right club is the one that he wants to go to. It's his choice, not ours. He showed last season that he was willing to go to Valencia and this window that he was prepared to go to Milan. If my employers asked me to leave to go somewhere I didn't want to be and on no doubt inferior conditions of employment, I wouldn't be keen either.

There seemed so many people against the Evans signing that I thought Mangala's decision would be well received. I wasn't against the Evan's signing but personally I prefer Mangala though it's clear Guardiola doesn't.

I hope Mangala gets a few games in cups and I feel he could still be a useful squad player in the right circumstances.
It isn't just his choice though is it. You can't compare it to normal employment either as you are not an asset that is worth £23m to your employer like Mangala is.

I'm glad you want him to play in the cups, I don't, I hope he plays in the reserves and doesn't get called up for France. I'm a City fan and this shite bull in a china shop has really fucked our club over. Him and his agent should be embarressed they couldn't find a club but that's probably a reflection on how bad he is.

I'm sure Bony wanted to sign for Real Madrid not Swansea but he had the brain to see that Swansea was a realistic and good move. We have bent over backwards to accomodate players in the past with loans and reduced transfer fees (Nasri and Tevez). This is all on Mangala.

Getting off topic now so that's my final comment.

For me, anything that keeps Aguero at the club. Obviously not happy being benched already and with the arrival of Sanchez I could see that happening more this season. He's played a huge part in recent history of this club and will still play as massive part for years to come. It would insane to lose one of the world, and our, best ever strikers. So for me, Sanchez not coming, is a positive in this regard.

Pep (in Colonel Troutman voice): Do you hear me Txiki, its OVER!

Txiki: NOTHING IS OVER! NOTHING! YOU JUST DON'T TURN IT OFF!
For all the flack Stallone has always got for being a crap actor, I thought that scene was very well acted and convincing. "I can't find your legs. I can't find your legs Jonny".

I'm personally chuffed to bits with the window. Sanchez would of been a cherry on top but I'm quietly confident that once the likes of Bernardo and Mendy settle in completely we'll be near unstoppable.
There's clearly a nervousness up front on the scoring front, but just one big win were the ball and the ref go right for us, will break that hoodoo.
I think Ederson looks great, love his long precise kicks and last game how he commanded his area with a couple of catches was very encouraging.

All the worry over Vinny staying fit all season i understand but maybe he doesn't need to be fit all season, just long enough to actually instil some well needed confidence in Stones and Otti who can both do what Pep wants if given time and support.
Mendy, Walker and Dani all have obvious quality that will shine through once they learn their team mates better.

The two strikers are both top quality and we are very lucky to have them both and with the options of Silva, Bernardo, KDB, Gun, Sane, Sterling and then Yaya, Dino and the young lads Foden and Diaz, there's so many goals and possession in our team, can't believe people would be worried.
The consensus seems to be that we have had a very good window. I agree.

I share the concerns about central defence though. I think we are short on numbers. And there is a question mark over their ability too, but it's right to give Stones time.

I am happy with the 1st choice central defenders, but Kompany will not play every game. The key for me will be how we do in his absence. Some people made the point earlier in the window to me that the reason our central defenders could not cope last season was because they were exposed by weak play around them: keeper and fullbacks. I think that is true to an extent, but the central defenders in this City team are on occasion going to have to defend one on one. Last season we had one defender who was too frightened to tackle whilst the other one dived in and took out everything that moved.

If you look at what our critics outside the club say, they all focus on the defence too. Not many independents rate Stones or Otamendi however I think Stones can go on and become one of the top defenders in the league, but he was far from that last season. Hopefully this is his season alongside Kompany

No, we have 3 who Pep trusts to play and 4 he wants to be there, and if we'd sold Mangala, we'd have had 4 he trusts and 5 he wants to be there.
Mangala is a solid defender who doesn't have the qualities on the ball that say, Stones has. Stones has qualities on the ball but imo is nowhere near a solid defender at this moment in time. Anyone can feel free to disagree with my take on it - it won't change (not yet anyway).

Yes, we are short at LB. How are we short on CM and CB ? We have 4 players (Yaya, Fern, Gundogan and Delph) for 1 position in a 4-1-4-1 which I think is the best way to utilize our squad. At CB, we have Vinny, Otamendi, Stones and Mangala as the 4th option. It's upto Pep and the players to perform.

We're not short in numbers at CM and CB, were short in quality.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.