The press, City and Madeleine McCann

Prestwich_Blue

No, her disappearance isn't being blamed on us but her father, Gerry, was appearing in front of the Media Select Committee of MP's. Here's some of the things he had to say. Ring any bells?

Some reports...had been "embellished" or even made up, the culture, media and sport select committee was told.
Surely not!

"Our family have been the focus of some of the most sensationalist, untruthful, irresponsible and damaging reporting in the history of the press."
Join the club mate.

"We saw pressure particularly on journalists to produce stories when really there was nothing much to report."
I can't believe that.

"Much of the content in the first few days was highly speculative. It was not at all helpful to us.
"We fairly quickly decided for our own benefit not to watch the broadcasts or, indeed, to read the newspapers."
Wise move.

However, he also went on to say:
Mr McCann was also critical of many of the contributors to newspaper - and other website - chatrooms.
He said many had "too much time on their hands", adding: "I feel very sorry for those people who a need to do that [write abusive and unsubstantiated comments] and there's something clearly missing in those lives."

Just thought you'd like to know that. Must go - got loads of really fulfilling and meaningful things to do. Can't spend all day on here!

The press can be a horrible vehicle for rumour mongering and sensationalism.

however seeing those quotes against the backdrop of his story makes me suddenly stop being angry for their portrayal and alleged agenda against city

salfordtrueblue said:
Dont like this post,very bad taste.The way it trivualises the kidnapping or murder of a young girl.
I wouldn't trust the McCanns any further than I could throw them but this is about a Parliamentary hearing into standards in the press.

While I would never class City alongside whatever happened to Madeleine, I am trying to make the point that the principle of snesationalist reporting applies to everyone. Garry Cook has as much right to feel aggrieved as Gerry McCann, as his character has been assasinated in the press, as has Hughes and the name of the club in general.

salfordtrueblue said:
Dont like this post,very bad taste.The way it trivualises the kidnapping or murder of a young girl.

I don't think he intended to trivialise anything. He was merely making comparisons to the Maddie case and the way City have been treated.

Oh and it's a little ironic that one of the McCanns biggest gripes with the press is that they keep insinuating that she is dead, when there is actually no real evidence to suggest so.
Much like you have done with your post.

If it wasn't foe the media, the McCann case would have dropped off the radar after a week, like it should have, instead of being front page news on the Express everyday for a year.

Lol comparing the plight of the McCann's to City's situation. What a joke.

I'll leave comparisons to City aside, but the cheek of the McCanns to complain about the press. They brought most of it on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.