The press, City and Madeleine McCann

The Invisible_Man said:
I'm sorry but who where the last people to see the girl alive? Either the parents or one of their friends. No correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that get them high up on the list of suspects if it happened over here?
But because it happened abroad we tend to have this ideal of foreigners doing crap in their jobs, how dare they suspect the lovely middle class McCanns. If it was a working class mother from Salford or any equel shithole the press would of crucified them. But because the press backed the McCanns (for a good while anyway) they (the McCanns) were happy to wide on that publicity wave. So in that respect; fuck them.

I'm done now.

you have one opinion and that is fine, it is not the opinion i take issue with. if this really needs to be continued, take it to the off topic and sever all ties of this debate with Manchester City.

however your belief is taken from shreds of disseminated information that is far from the whole story and does not take into account all aspects of the investigation and circumstances that ended in tragedy.

roaminblue said:
The Invisible_Man said:
I'm sorry but who where the last people to see the girl alive? Either the parents or one of their friends. No correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that get them high up on the list of suspects if it happened over here?
But because it happened abroad we tend to have this ideal of foreigners doing crap in their jobs, how dare they suspect the lovely middle class McCanns. If it was a working class mother from Salford or any equel shithole the press would of crucified them. But because the press backed the McCanns (for a good while anyway) they (the McCanns) were happy to wide on that publicity wave. So in that respect; fuck them.

I'm done now.

you have one opinion and that is fine, it is not the opinion i take issue with. if this really needs to be continued, take it to the off topic and sever all ties of this debate with Manchester City.

however your belief is taken from shreds of disseminated information that is far from the whole story and does not take into account all aspects of the investigation and circumstances that ended in tragedy.

To be honest it's going off memory; I stopped reading up on it after a week or so it became a circus. Still say fuck them though, even if they didn't do it they should be reviewed by services like any other poor sod would.
But it was a daft observation to make (not that I carn't see the O/Ps point) , considering how it's a subject that'll split people.

ManCityFC said:
a couple of probable murderers bitching at newspapers being newspapers.
FFS, it's comments exactly like this one that McCann was complaining about. Let's just hope his lawyers don't read Bluemoon!

The Invisible_Man said:

I'm done now.

i hate that scwewwy wabbit

Other girls of Madeline McCann's age have gone missing and had nowhere near to press coverage she got. Millions of people knows what she looks like because of the press coverage, when those people have no idea about the other people who are missing.

It is a tragic story, but Gerry McCann's comments do sound like he's biting the hand that feeds him.

I also have issue with Max Mosley's comments, here, too. He's saying that there should be time given to whoever a story is about to take into account what is going to be printed and seek out an injunction, if necessary. Now, I agree that the News of the World was out of order in printing him orgy story, but in a lot of cases, injunctions are sought when there's no real case.

He didn't sue the News of the World for libel, after all. It was invasion of privacy.

BlueMooney said:
Other girls of Madeline McCann's age have gone missing and had nowhere near to press coverage she got. Millions of people knows what she looks like because of the press coverage, when those people have no idea about the other people who are missing.

It is a tragic story, but Gerry McCann's comments do sound like he's biting the hand that feeds him.

this is the last i'm gonna say on this thread, but there is a huge distinction between wanting your daughters face on the front of the newspaper in order to raise awareness, and having an agenda driven, media-whoring newspaper like the sun print baseless rumours about you despite having very little or no information on the case in question.

the red tops live to sell newspapers, not to provide news; the slightest sniff of controversy and they suddenly start to see the world through green dollar bills. they care very little about their readership and the quality of the news they provide and have a long dark history of underhand dealings, gross exaggeration, and almost no accountability for what they write.

roaminblue said:
BlueMooney said:

this is the last i'm gonna say on this thread, but there is a huge distinction between wanting your daughters face on the front of the newspaper in order to raise awareness, and having an agenda driven, media-whoring newspaper like the sun print baseless rumours about you despite having very little or no information on the case in question.

the red tops live to sell newspapers, not to provide news; the slightest sniff of controversy and they suddenly start to see the world through green dollar bills. they care very little about their readership and the quality of the news they provide and have a long dark history of underhand dealings, gross exaggeration, and almost no accountability for what they write.

Funnily enough, The Sun was one of many newspapers that showed almost unstinting support for the McCanns throughout the investigation while at the same time - along with many other British newspapers - directing xenophobic vitriol in the direction of the Portuguese police, accusing them of all sorts of despicable rubbish. All this despite the fact the McCanns were official suspects in the disappearance of their daughter based on forensic work carried out by British (not Portuguese) forensic experts.

I've got my own thoughts on what happened, suffice to say that I've always felt the McCanns and their mates have a hell of a lot of explaining to do, and even if they didn't have anything to do with Madeleine's disappearance they're certainly guilty of neglecting both her and the twins by leaving 3 kids under the age of 4 alone in what was widely reported as being an unlocked apartment while they and their friends went on the piss. But hey-ho, the McCann's are well-to-do upper-class pillars of society so have every right to go and do such a thing whereas if it was an unemployed couple off some council estate then that would of course be wholly unacceptable to all those who don't see anything wrong with the McCann's leaving their kids alone in that room.

Having said all that, I don't see what the problem is with Prestwich's post - he was merely making comparisons and knowing his posting history, allegations of bad taste are miles off the mark.

M18CTID said:
Having said all that, I don't see what the problem is with Prestwich's post - he was merely making comparisons and knowing his posting history, allegations of bad taste are miles off the mark.

Totally agree; some people are far too precious and on the look-out for offence. All he is saying is that the (gutter)press don't give a toss about accuracy, as is shown by the McCann case. In no way is that even the slightest bit disrespectful, and you have to be a bit too sensitive to live in this world, if you really think that!

imo, of course. ;0)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.