The price of fish.

We English principally eat cod and haddock. There is some cod in UK waters, but the bulk of both are imported and the supply is diminishing. In fact, these fish are at least on edge of being endangered. This is bound to keep costs quite high. Global warming is moving them further and further north.

Most of the fish in UK waters is stuff we don't - on the whole - eat. Lobsters are abundant, but people don't generally want lobster. There is hake, but again, most people don't ask for it and it's only really sold in high-end fish and chip shops and restaurants. Then there are things like spider crabs and mackeral, which we barely touch. Most of these fish get exported, principally to the EU.

I can't understand why anyone wanted to go to Jerusalem over fish. I think it just became totemic and got emotions stirring. Countries should not be run on the basis of emotion.

We English principally eat cod and haddock. There is some cod in UK waters, but the bulk of both are imported and the supply is diminishing. In fact, these fish are at least on edge of being endangered. This is bound to keep costs quite high. Global warming is moving them further and further north.

Most of the fish in UK waters is stuff we don't - on the whole - eat. Lobsters are abundant, but people don't generally want lobster. There is hake, but again, most people don't ask for it and it's only really sold in high-end fish and chip shops and restaurants. Then there are things like spider crabs and mackeral, which we barely touch. Most of these fish get exported, principally to the EU.

I can't understand why anyone wanted to go to Jerusalem over fish. I think it just became totemic and got emotions stirring. Countries should not be run on the basis of emotion.
It wasn’t really about the fish. That’s a red herring!

I caught 2 spider crabs on lugworm during the summer, bought them home and cooked them, nothing on them apart from a bit in the claws but mackeral are without doubt the best fish in the seas caught and cooked fresh.

I eat fish every Friday. Bloody lovely. All of it caught in British waters. In order of preference:
Halibut, Monfish, Haddock, Hake, Cod, Lemon Sole.
Once in a while we will do a seafood platter, Langoustine, scallops, mussels, crab and a nice Lobster.

One fish I wont eat is farmed salmon. In fact I wouldn't feed it to my cat. If land based farming followed similar practices to aquaculture it would be shut down tomorrow as inhuman, unsafe and massively damaging to the environment.

I do generally want lobster, but generally can’t afford it!

If supply and demand are still.a thing, then keeping more of our lovely Scottish fish, 80% landed, 88% value, should come down in price. If it doesn't it will rot. So, as a lover of seafood, I'm looking to personally get through a few metric tonnes.

So the divorce has finally been settled and the last problem, who keeps the hamster, sorted.

Dont steer clear, just dont eat anything. The Moroccans foul hook mullet from the bridges, that in itself is a sight to behold when a 5lb mullets lands in front of you whilst you're stopped at the lights. .........its a fantastic river, i've even swam in it a few times and locals do it all the time......
When I were no but a lad we used to go to Staithes.
In the evening the sea would be alive with sprats trying to escape the mackerel that had them trapped. You could foul hook a mackerel simply by dropping your line and jerking it up.
Mackerel only just caught is delicious.

I eat fish every Friday. Bloody lovely. All of it caught in British waters. In order of preference:
Halibut, Monfish, Haddock, Hake, Cod, Lemon Sole.
Once in a while we will do a seafood platter, Langoustine, scallops, mussels, crab and a nice Lobster.

One fish I wont eat is farmed salmon. In fact I wouldn't feed it to my cat. If land based farming followed similar practices to aquaculture it would be shut down tomorrow as inhuman, unsafe and massively damaging to the environment.
You eat fish every Friday,any reason why a Friday ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.