The Pro Road Cycling Thread

I was talking to Chesterbells last night on Twitter about Strava and the 'flybys' option for seeing who you pass on your ride. it got me thinking, has anyone encountered any pro's when they've been out? I know Evan Oliphant of Team Raleigh rides around my way sometimes as does one of the NFTO guys, but I've not encountered them personally. I did once get passed by four guys absolutely flying up a steep climb, one of whom I believe was a regular in the Scottish hill championships, I couldn't believe the pace they were doing!

Last year I had the pleasure of riding a few miles in the company of “G” “Yogi” and Shane Sutton. I was absolutely on the rivet. They were chatting idly. First rise in the road and off the back I went.

Ian Stannard is a regular sight around Alderly on his TT machine.

I was also out in Denia, Spain about 8 years ago doing a week of semi-serious training. Our last ride was in the company of none other than a certain Mr. Valverde. For all the unpleasant stuff we hear about him, he was absolutely top notch that day - answered loads of questions (none drug-related admittedly), was great company, bought us all dinner and, in 36 Deg C, looked the absolute bollocks in his arm and leg warmers “I never ride without them, unless I am racing”. There’s a beautiful climb out of the Val D’Ebo there. He flew up it. On the big ring.

Onto the TDF - can’t make my mind up on this; one day I see nothing but a Froome win, the next, I see those cobbles causing havoc and Nibali making cycling hay. Pity Kittel’s out as I genuinely think Cav’s train will be bringing him right into the mix this year. Shame it won’t be against Kittel, but should allow Cav to get a good handful of wins and creep closer to the all time stage win title.

Bet they were fantastic experiences. Valverde is a strange one, there's both a lot to like and a lot to dislike about him - often at the very same time!!

Speaking of G and Yogi both have been named in the SKY tour line-up: The full team is: Froome, Porte, Thomas, Konig, Poels, Roche, Kennaugh, Stannard, Rowe. Pretty good line-up but you would have thought they'd include some climbing doms ;-)

Nationals road race was great yesterday, well deserved again for Kennaugh but a fantastic performance from Cav. The way he dropped Stannard and Rowe on the flat was quite something to see.

More teams in;

Movistar: Quintana, Valverde, G. izzagirre, Jose Herrada, Anacona, Castroviejo, Malori, Dowsett, Erviti (Some serious TT power there, maybe a bit weak in the mountains)

Saxo: Contador, Majka, Kreuziger, Rogers, Basso, Sagan, Tosatto, Bennati, Valgren (pretty much as expected, well balanced though Kiserlovski and McCarthy are unlucky to miss out)

Astana: Nibali, Fuglsang, Scarponi, Kangert, Taaramae, Westra, Boom, Grivko, Gruzdev

Well worth a bump this thread. If only there was a cycle touring thead...... Maybe there's a niche thread waiting to happen. Or even a cycle commuting thread.

Great Tour this year.... many stunning mountain satges and the Alp D'Huez stage was a corker... I struggled up that three years ago with the missus....(won't even give you our time !)... thosw guys just fookin smashed up it...

Vive Le Tour.. can't wait for the Vuelta !

Terrible two days for the sport, and Belgium cycling in particular, with the deaths of two riders in successive races, one of whom succumbed to injuries from a crash and one to a heart attack. RIP to you both.

Paris-Roubais today. Anyone watching? For the casual cycling fan this is one of the Spring Classics. It's a one day race of 200+km with several stretches over narrow cobbled paths. Usually results in crashes galore!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.