The Pro Road Cycling Thread

Rascal said:
Shame the rain ruined the Giro today

But Brad in California on now

Another good showing from Adam Yates in California. I think if he had held off for another 100/150m he could well have won the stage.

The Giro is always a great race but the weather can kill it. This year is very odd in that California has a much better field than the Giro. Can't say that I've ever seen that before. Especially now that Kittel is out of the Giro. Poor guy was running a 104 degree temp yesterday before the race and couldn't start. Makes me very glad that I chose him to be on my RCUK fantasy team early. He is by far the best pure sprinter on the planet right now in my opinion. Nothing against Cav as he is certainly the best of this generation, and maybe all time, but he has now been overtaken by the youngster.

Today's Giro stage should be good. I expect Matthews to possibly win the stage but at least to hold onto pink. I expect a similar result tomorrow. Then another flat stage before getting into a few decent mountain stages.

California was great where Davey cut Wiggins' lead in half. Really shows the strength of those guys. Wiggins is probably the second best time trialist in the world once you get over say 15K. But he isn't and has never been the best climber. That showed yesterday as he didn't quite have the pop at the end of the stage. I'm starting to wonder if Sagan will get any victories this year. Looking at the stage previews and nothing looks to be a great match for his skillset.

Anyone watching? Don't agree with BMC pushing on in these circumstances, poor form for me.

I will catch it tonight. Though I would guess off of your post that something happened, wreck or otherwise that either slowed down the pink jersey or some of the GC contenders. The rules of sportsmanship from team to team isn't set in stone, much like when do you advance down the pitch versus when do you kick the ball out? But if BMC was ahead of the fray and it occurred behind them, there is nothing really bad form. If it was in their group or ahead and they rode through and then attacked, then that would go against the normal "rules." There have been occasions like in 2012 at the TDF when I thought that Sky milked the sportsmanship thing in their favor to prevent attacks from happening.

But that makes me interested to see what happens tonight. The last two days haven't been great to watch. I'm ready for some intrigue.

Pokes28 said:
I will catch it tonight. Though I would guess off of your post that something happened, wreck or otherwise that either slowed down the pink jersey or some of the GC contenders. The rules of sportsmanship from team to team isn't set in stone, much like when do you advance down the pitch versus when do you kick the ball out? But if BMC was ahead of the fray and it occurred behind them, there is nothing really bad form. If it was in their group or ahead and they rode through and then attacked, then that would go against the normal "rules." There have been occasions like in 2012 at the TDF when I thought that Sky milked the sportsmanship thing in their favor to prevent attacks from happening.

But that makes me interested to see what happens tonight. The last two days haven't been great to watch. I'm ready for some intrigue.

I'll not go into details Pokes as I wouldn't want to spoil it for you. It's one of those occasions that will split opinion amongst fans 50/50 as a fair case can be made for either side of the debate. Technically I wouldn't say BMC broke any of the accepted rules of the road so in that sense they will feel vindicated, but each case is different and in these circumstances it didn't sit comfortably with me.

Shands said:
Pokes28 said:

I'll not go into details Pokes as I wouldn't want to spoil it for you. It's one of those occasions that will split opinion amongst fans 50/50 as a fair case can be made for either side of the debate. Technically I wouldn't say BMC broke any of the accepted rules of the road so in that sense they will feel vindicated, but each case is different and in these circumstances it didn't sit comfortably with me.
I agree with what Sean Kelly said, that they were right to continue. Having said that it certainley give us cycling fans something to talk about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.