The Pro Road Cycling Thread

Well done Pokes on winning the fantasy league. Hope you've got a pink shirt on today :)

To the Dauphine!

Thank you, thank you. I hope we can do another for the TDF though I would like something more interactive than pick a team and forget about it until the end. The RCUK league system is pretty nice. I won my league in that one too.

I know that it is very easy to say, but the way that Quintana simply had more energy and never looked even the remotest bit in trouble even day after day in the mid and high mountains, I really struggle to believe he's not on something. Evans started off great and then ran out of gas. Every other GC contender had good days and bad days except the little Colombian. I know he's probably the best climber in the world right now (due to Froome's continued health issues), but damnation. The human body can't just keep working at the peak like he did these past two weeks. His work on the last ITT and then simply crushing the rest of the GC on the final day in the mountains alone tell me his recovery isn't normal.

I'm sad to say that other than Garmin or Sky, I don't trust any riders being clean.

Shands said:
Well done Pokes on winning the fantasy league. Hope you've got a pink shirt on today :)

To the Dauphine!

I really like the Dauphine. Looking forward to it.

Great to see G win Bayern, but didnt see any coverage.

Wiggins says he's not going to picked for the Tour De France team this year. Can't help but feel for him, and pretty disappointed in Brailsford if this is correct and he does miss it. He didn't get the chance to defend his title last year (not that I think he would have won it of course, but he should still be entitled to have the opportunity to show up and ride again, at least once). He's obviously put in the work this winter and early season to be ready for the Tour and if they're picking their nine on merit then he has to be in there, not only for the work he can do in the mountains, but also with Stannard out, the value he could add on the cobbles. I don't think Brailsford could justifiably say that a guy who has podiumed the tour twice, and who is showing good form, is not amongst his best riders available, so the only reason for him to be left out is that Froome doesn't want him there - understandable in itself perhaps, but potentially short-sighted and as I say disappointing.

Shands said:
Wiggins says he's not going to picked for the Tour De France team this year. Can't help but feel for him, and pretty disappointed in Brailsford if this is correct and he does miss it. He didn't get the chance to defend his title last year (not that I think he would have won it of course, but he should still be entitled to have the opportunity to show up and ride again, at least once). He's obviously put in the work this winter and early season to be ready for the Tour and if they're picking their nine on merit then he has to be in there, not only for the work he can do in the mountains, but also with Stannard out, the value he could add on the cobbles. I don't think Brailsford could justifiably say that a guy who has podiumed the tour twice, and who is showing good form, is not amongst his best riders available, so the only reason for him to be left out is that Froome doesn't want him there - understandable in itself perhaps, but potentially short-sighted and as I say disappointing.

It might be the best decision for team Sky but it's definitely not the best decision for UK cycling. It's mad that we have le Tour over here and the most famous British cyclist won't be taking part.

Shands said:

All about him and Froome not getting along, Froome had a dig at him yesterday again, he keeps doing it, and its just petty and not needed. Wiggins is a legend in British cycling and has deserves more respect than Froome is showing.

without a dream said:
Shands said:

It might be the best decision for team Sky but it's definitely not the best decision for UK cycling. It's mad that we have le Tour over here and the most famous British cyclist won't be taking part.

That's the thing, I'm not convinced tactically it is the best decision for Team Sky. You're absolutely right though, it looks to be a big public relations own goal too.

Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
Shands said:

All about him and Froome not getting along, Froome had a dig at him yesterday again, he keeps doing it, and its just petty and not needed. Wiggins is a legend in British cycling and has deserves more respect than Froome is showing.

Agreed mate. Wiggins is no saint, but I think probably since around last July onwards following Froome's win, he, publicly at least, has conducted himself pretty well and said all the right things. He got a bit of stick for his performance in the Worlds, but the whole GB team was rubbish that day so it's unfair to single him out on that basis. My feelings on Froome are well known so I'll not say anymore on him, but all told it's just leaves an unpleasant taste.

Shands said:
without a dream said:
Shands said:

That's the thing, I'm not convinced tactically it is the best decision for Team Sky. You're absolutely right though, it looks to be a big public relations own goal too.

Will be interesting to see what happens if the likes of Porte or Nieve struggle in the Dauphine, and Wiggins wins the Tour de Suisse. Surely that'll mean it's impossible not to include him?

So the Tour line-up thus far could look like:

Froome, Porte, Thomas, Nieve, Lopez, Kiriyenka, Zandio, Kennaugh and maybe older Henao if he's back?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.