The Pro Road Cycling Thread

Rascal said:
Shands said:
Pure entertainment that. It's hard to read too much into the Dauphine, but definitely some points of interest today.

Further to what we were talking about mate is Porte finished 10 mins down and finished with G and Lopez. Watching the race Sky had numbers and then it seemed very un Sky like that they were quickly down to Nieve. G had been working on the front, but usually Lopez stays longer. My point is when Porte slipped of the pace Froome was on the radio and I wonder if Lopez and G were told to nurse Richie home. Which again if is the case brings the Wiggo question to the fore. Is Froome that desperate for Richie to find some form before the TdF he is almost flrced to attack today.

Thoughts lads or am in cuckoo land lol

Froome seemed like he was shouting down the radio and shouting at his team-mates at every opportunity, demanding the pace to be sky high. Porte checked with Froome just before he dropped off, I'm guessing he told him that he'd be of no use today and decided to save his energy for tomorrow and beyond. Couldn't agree more that Wiggins is the perfect man to keep the pace high on the lower slopes like Froome was demanding today- he demonstrated this perfectly going up Diablo at the Tour of California.

Pokes28 said:
I've been reading a lot of things lately that Froome is generally not well liked. But he's younger and is the reigning TDF champ. So Brailsford and Sky feel they have to stick with him and make him happy. However in the last few hours Brailsford has come out and said that he is the one that chooses the team and that he has not decided if Wiggins is going to ride in the TDF. Considering the way Froome has been acting (kind of like Lance towards Contadour when they were on the same team), I wonder how this is going to go. Brailsford is so above board and as much as he obviously respects Wiggins, it is going to be interesting in the next couple weeks.

By all accounts, Froome is far more popular with the rest of the team than Wiggins. Although how that may have changed given Froome's outbursts in the last couple of weeks, I don't know. I don't think it's the case that Sky feel like they have to stick with him and make him happy- he undoubtedly has the best chance of winning the Tour this year. For people to even think Wiggins could stick with him in the mountains is crazy- a few accelerations from Froome and he'd be gone, and there is too little TT'ing this year for him to make it up. That's even if he could, Froome has a fantastic TT himself.

Couldn't agree more that it's really finely poised, and will be an interesting few weeks. Speaking of the Tour, are many people heading out on to the roads to catch it?

Nervous Nedum said:
Speaking of the Tour, are many people heading out on to the roads to catch it?

Haven't made any firm plans yet, but I was looking at the route for stage two and it goes right past the door of the house I lived at in Huddersfield when I was at Uni, so I might take a trip down memory lane and use that as my vantage point.

It really is fascinating stuff. Wish I had appreciated the nuances years ago.

2 relatively easy looking stages next up, so will Richie be there. Froome and Porte seem great mates and trust is important but if Porte aint TdF ready Sky surely must not risk him. Heneo and JTL not racing, Stannard and Shits injured and the squad looks stretched. Will be interesting to see hlw Wiggo goes in the tour of Swiss, He has a decent team there and Brailsford said the TdF squad would be picked after that.

Wiggo has to be plan B if Porte is out of form

Watching the last 7K back, the difference in approach between Froome and Contador when the attack's took place is quite interesting. Froome was pedalling at a noticeably higher RPM, his efforts were far more aerobic based than Contador's whose pedalling style looked more conventional, turning a bigger gear and definitely more anaerobic. I read something a little while back that, when tested as a junior, the doctors conducting the test were staggered by how little lactic acid Contador produced in his legs compared to other cyclists. Just goes to show there are different ways to achieve the same result.

The other thing I found fascinating is that, aside from an occasional glance round to see how Nibali was looking, Contador didn't take his eyes of Froome's feet and wheel for virtually the whole climb. None of his usual dancing out to the side to assess the rest of the group, no talking on the radio or preparing for an attack. It looked to me like he set out yesterday with no intention to attack or necessarily even battle for the stage win, his sole goal was just to stick to Froome like glue and gauge where they both are at, with whatever came of that being a bonus. It's smart riding really, you don't attack someone like Froome when he's at his strongest, and certainly you don't force it if it's in a race you don't need to win.

Shands said:
Watching the last 7K back, the difference in approach between Froome and Contador when the attack's took place is quite interesting. Froome was pedalling at a noticeably higher RPM, his efforts were far more aerobic based than Contador's whose pedalling style looked more conventional, turning a bigger gear and definitely more anaerobic. I read something a little while back that, when tested as a junior, the doctors conducting the test were staggered by how little lactic acid Contador produced in his legs compared to other cyclists. Just goes to show there are different ways to achieve the same result.

The other thing I found fascinating is that, aside from an occasional glance round to see how Nibali was looking, Contador didn't take his eyes of Froome's feet and wheel for virtually the whole climb. None of his usual dancing out to the side to assess the rest of the group, no talking on the radio or preparing for an attack. It looked to me like he set out yesterday with no intention to attack or necessarily even battle for the stage win, his sole goal was just to stick to Froome like glue and gauge where they both are at, with whatever came of that being a bonus. It's smart riding really, you don't attack someone like Froome when he's at his strongest, and certainly you don't force it if it's in a race you don't need to win.

Froome is definitely a pedal masher, he has such a distinctive style. It's starting to grow on me now, he looked really powerful yesterday. And I know tactically he was a bit naive, but that's for Brailsford to worry about. I'm just savouring what was a pretty cool stage.

In regards to Contador, he was in the big ring for most of the climb yesterday. Pretty sure he uses a quite ridiculous 11-32 cassette, but I could be wrong. I think I read it in an interview somewhere, and he stated he preferred climbing in the big ring hence the need for the cassette.

Was able to catch up yesterday with the TT and stage 2. It was pretty good drama. I can't believe that Kelderman is capable of putting that kind of effort in on an uncategorized climb after his efforts in the Giro. Really was the story of the day for me. I think that there is a healthy fear of Froome by the other riders. I think they are all waiting on any moment of weakness from him.

It's the good old Col De Manse descent today. Will Contador crash and cause Froome to take it to twitter again? Will Nibali go nuts? Will Carlton talk lots and lots about Voeckler? 1 out of 3 isn't bad.

Sergio Henao is back available going into the Tour de Suisse and may ride into TDF form giving a strong climber as an ally?

So you guys get Carlton Kirby and Daniel Lloyd? Our broadcast is Bob Roll and Steve Schlanger. They aren't bad. Less annoying than Todd Gogulski. Still not as good as Phil Liggit and Paul Sherwen. Yesterday's stage was close but not really exciting. Why would they even put in a stage with such a flat finish into the Dauphine? It isn't like there are any sprinters worth a damn that goes to it.

Pokes28 said:
So you guys get Carlton Kirby and Daniel Lloyd? Our broadcast is Bob Roll and Steve Schlanger. They aren't bad. Less annoying than Todd Gogulski. Still not as good as Phil Liggit and Paul Sherwen. Yesterday's stage was close but not really exciting. Why would they even put in a stage with such a flat finish into the Dauphine? It isn't like there are any sprinters worth a damn that goes to it.

If they had hilly or mountain stages every day then none of the big riders would turn up for fear of too much exertion. They have to balance making an entertaining race with not putting the riders well into the red prior to the Tour.

Commentators wise it's a mixture. Eurosport tend to use Kirby, Rob Hatch or Declan Quigley as their main commentator with Sean Kelly, Matt Stephens, Brian Smith or Magnus Backstedt providing the riders viewpoint. Sky Sports used Kirby for the Giro with Dan Lloyd as his co-commentator. My ideal combo would be Hatch & Lloyd but I think I've only heard them work together once. It's a shame Dave Harmon is no longer involved.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.