The Pro Road Cycling Thread

Manc in London said:
Henao was hurt in a training accident. Apparently a fractured knee
Kin ell.

Sky are having a dreadful season injury wise.

Kennaugh leader now in Swiss though, be good to see how he goes.

Rascal said:
Manc in London said:
Kin ell.

Absolutely gutted for Henao, hit by a car whilst warming up for the TT today. Kennaugh wasn't happy about it on Twitter, slating local police about the incident.

Nervous Nedum said:
Rascal said:
Manc in London said:
Kin ell.

Absolutely gutted for Henao, hit by a car whilst warming up for the TT today. Kennaugh wasn't happy about it on Twitter, slating local police about the incident.
Has Brad got a hit squad out so Sky only have 9 riders fit :))

Side note: Have any of you read the David Millar auto-biography? If not, you should give it a go, it is pretty cool. He gives some insight on several riders and his relationship with them. Basically trashes Wiggins a bit for not being a team player when he was being courted to join Sky a few years ago. His interactions with Cav are great.

I've always like Millar and the book is a very honest telling of his cycling life (granted from his point of view). The one guy you can tell he would do anything for is Brailsford. Considering everything that he risked to be a good friend to Millar during his lowest of lows during the drug scandal, he comes across as the most honest and forthright kind of guy.

As for the TdS, it has really been pretty boring considering the number of superstars involved. A few good crashes but that is about it. Nobody has put any pressure on Tony Martin. Though I've not watched the TT. I can't imagine anybody will surpass him.

The TdF could be great. I respect Sky, but I'm tired of them controlling the entire race. I loved the end of the Dauphine when the scraped up Froome couldn't hold off Contador and then he couldn't hold off Talanskiy. Was really a classic finish to one of the great races.

Funny old year for SKY. It seemed to start with last years TDF with injuries, particularly the one picked up by GT early on. Since then, JTL and Henao had 'passport' issues, and then the injuries, illness and exhaustion suffered by Porte, Kemnaugh and Froome.

Pokes28 said:
Side note: Have any of you read the David Millar auto-biography? If not, you should give it a go, it is pretty cool. He gives some insight on several riders and his relationship with them. Basically trashes Wiggins a bit for not being a team player when he was being courted to join Sky a few years ago. His interactions with Cav are great.

I've always like Millar and the book is a very honest telling of his cycling life (granted from his point of view). The one guy you can tell he would do anything for is Brailsford. Considering everything that he risked to be a good friend to Millar during his lowest of lows during the drug scandal, he comes across as the most honest and forthright kind of guy.

As for the TdS, it has really been pretty boring considering the number of superstars involved. A few good crashes but that is about it. Nobody has put any pressure on Tony Martin. Though I've not watched the TT. I can't imagine anybody will surpass him.

The TdF could be great. I respect Sky, but I'm tired of them controlling the entire race. I loved the end of the Dauphine when the scraped up Froome couldn't hold off Contador and then he couldn't hold off Talanskiy. Was really a classic finish to one of the great races.

I've read it, although it was a few years ago now. It is a very frank account of doping in cycling, and the lengths that some of the teams were going to just to even finish the Tour de France never mind win the thing shocked me. Tyler Hamilton's book was also quite a good read and is along similar lines.

As for the TdS, I haven't been this uninterested in a race all season if I'm honest. Not sure whether it has actually been a boring race or whether it just seems like it compared to what we had at the Dauphine. And agreed about the final stage, was definitely that will be remembered for years to come.

As expected, Martin couldn't hang in the mountains on the TdS. The race ended up being pretty uneventful. One thing really shocked me on that last mountain climb was when they said they were going to crest over 14,000 feet. I didn't know any of the European mountains were that high up. I know the big climbs in the TdF and the Giro normally don't go up much past 10,000 feet and those are rare. I've always felt hat is part of why the European riders haven't ever done well in the USA Pro Cycling Challenge as they pass 12K a few times. So I was shocked to hear that 14K number. I haven't looked to see if it was correct but I went back to make sure I heard it right.

So with EBH, Henao, Stannard and (presumably) Wiggins out of contention the bulk of the Sky nine is pretty much picking itself now. Froome, Porte, Thomas and Nieve are nailed on, presumably Kennaugh too though his fitness will be a worry. After that Lopez and Kiriyenka seem very likely, which just leaves your workers for the early parts of the stages - Pate and Eisel perhaps?

Take it we'll be having the usual TDF thread?

Anyone been following this TUE story? The UCI hasn't covered itself in glory again it seems.

Pokes28 said:
That regarding the stink about Froome using an inhaler?

No, this is to do with an emergency TUE he received at the start of the Tour De Romandie. The story has kind of spun off in four separate strands.

1) Froome himself and the merits or otherwise of the TUE.
2) The UCI processes for issuing TUE's (turns out they don't have the committee in place that they're meant to have to comply with WADA - which has lead to direct criticism from WADA)
3) Tied in with two, the doctor who issues the TUE's and his possible connections in the past to doping incidents.
4) Team Sky's issues with transparency and the contradictory nature of some of their statements and actions (David Walsh wrote an article about it in The Sunday Times).

It's been quite a big story and fairly interesting reading as it's developed, though somewhat of a tangled web.

Just read Alex Dowsett has made the Movistar team for the Tour, really pleased for him and hope he goes well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.