The Pro Road Cycling Thread

Cheers for that long reply Shands mate, much appreciated.

Great win for Kennaugh today in the national. Well worth a watch of the highlights

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/cyclist-chris-froome-is-right-in-the-eye-of-the-storm-30391816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 91816.html</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/paul-kimmage-chris-froome-in-the-eye-of-the-storm-part-2-30394950.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 94950.html</a>

Part 2 the most interesting.Plenty in there to get your teeth into, but i'll just pick out a little.

This is essential reading for anyone interested in pro cycling as it stands in 2014. Paul Kimmage is THE journalist for me, along with David Walsh, who was at the vanguard of hammering on the door of the Armstrong legend all through his 'glory years'. Whilst Walsh has moderated his views since in terms of expressing qualified support for the Team Sky way of working, Kimmage has remained as outspoken and doubtful as ever. He sometimes makes frustrating reading, but his bloody-mindedness is one of his best qualities. I've also been re-reading parts of Walsh's 7 Deadly Sins book this week, and it makes me think twice about some of the content of this article.

First thing is its not really Kimmage vs Froome, its more vs Cound and Froome. It does seem slightly irritating reading the transcript how often she jumps in and interrupts him or suggests answers for him. Why does she need to be in on the interview too?!

He certainly comes across as rather naive - is that really likely?, and its suggested he has a poor memory and gets dates mixed up - not really a good quality for someone in his position. I also wasnt convinced by his reasons for attending Vinokorov's birthday bash. Froome has that acceptance of other riders and ex-riders who are/were known dopers that seems common in pro-cycling, and that I find so hard to understand - from the outside you'd think clean riders would be furious with them and be giving them the cold should at every opportunity. But they don't.

Walsh writes about how 99 was supposed to be the Tour of Renewal after the Festina affair of 98, but then when he realised 98 had an ave speed of 39.98kph (Pantani's tour), and then Armstrong's first win in in 99 clocked 40.27, in a supposedly clean non-EPO tour. Walsh just could not believe it.
Well thats the position I'm in now - the clock doesnt lie - and Froome won last year with a tour speed of 40.54 kph. In the i/v Froome talks about how he cant explain the speeds, and certainly doesnt think he's riding as quick as Armstrong, and says now he may go up one climb fast, but not all of the climbs in a day's racing like riders did in Armstrong's era. But again, does the clock lie?

I'm a supporter of team Sky, and I'll be cheering their riders loudest out on the road on Sat and Sun, but only because if they're all still "at it", I might as well support the Brit and his team. Thing is, when youve had the rug pulled from under you that many times at a pro cycling fan, it is hard to keep the faith. And the likes of Kimmage dont help. Long may he continue.

Ta,for the links. They make for an interesting read.

Just imagine having your success and ability being constantly questioned on a regular basis. No wonder his missus often answers for him. He is probably bored of regularly having to repeat himself.

Contador has been caught cheating in the past, his performances have substantially improved in the last year and during his main conditioning programme he was not tested. Yet the Spaniard does not appear to be subject to the same scrutiny as Froome.

I am not claiming Froome is or isn't a cheat but I do feel sympathy for him having to justify himself all of the time.

Manc in London said:
Ta,for the links. They make for an interesting read.

Just imagine having your success and ability being constantly questioned on a regular basis. No wonder his missus often answers for him. He is probably bored of regularly having to repeat himself.

Contador has been caught cheating in the past, his performances have substantially improved in the last year and during his main conditioning programme he was not tested. Yet the Spaniard does not appear to be subject to the same scrutiny as Froome.

I am not claiming Froome is or isn't a cheat but I do feel sympathy for him having to justify himself all of the time.

Oh I agree 100% on Contador; I'm no apologist for him, far from it. In fact at the presentations earlier tonight the 2 receptions I was most fascinated to hear, in terms of crowd appaulse (or not) were Contador and Horner.

In terms of Froome I think the attention and questioning is simply explained by him being defending champion. If he'd finished 5th or 55th it wouldn't be the same would it?
And the fact he's the leader of team sky who have promoted anti doping creditials loudly from day 1.
And the fact the Froome in some ways 'came out of nowhere' form wise 3 years ago...

The transfer season kicks off today and the first one has been confirmed - Bouhani to Cofidis. Plenty of interesting rumours circulating (Sagan to Saxo; Roche to Sky) and this will be the telling time for whether or not Team Alonso goes ahead - a fun few weeks ahead.

Impressions time again. Dan Lloyd's Froome is very funny!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osuiS3zVO08&list=TLDOuy-nxzhpLUtpyLWtMKoBjuL-DuViyS[/video]

Shands said:
Impressions time again. Dan Lloyd's Froome is very funny!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osuiS3zVO08&list=TLDOuy-nxzhpLUtpyLWtMKoBjuL-DuViyS[/video]
Looks like they enjoyed doing that :)

My answers

1. Tommy V
2. Cav
3. Dog
4.Pantani?
5.Contador
6.?
7.Brad
8. Sagan
9. Horner
10. Lemond?

Rascal said:
Looks like they enjoyed doing that :)

My answers

1. Tommy V
2. Cav
3. Dog
4.Pantani?
5.Contador
6.?
7.Brad
8. Sagan
9. Horner
10. Lemond?

6 is Jan Ullrich and 8 i believe is David Millar for the moment below

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIW1MAvyPD4[/video]

Nervous Nedum said:
Shands said:
Pokes28 said:
That regarding the stink about Froome using an inhaler?

No, this is to do with an emergency TUE he received at the start of the Tour De Romandie. The story has kind of spun off in four separate strands.

1) Froome himself and the merits or otherwise of the TUE.
2) The UCI processes for issuing TUE's (turns out they don't have the committee in place that they're meant to have to comply with WADA - which has lead to direct criticism from WADA)
3) Tied in with two, the doctor who issues the TUE's and his possible connections in the past to doping incidents.
4) Team Sky's issues with transparency and the contradictory nature of some of their statements and actions (David Walsh wrote an article about it in The Sunday Times).

It's been quite a big story and fairly interesting reading as it's developed, though somewhat of a tangled web.

Just read Alex Dowsett has made the Movistar team for the Tour, really pleased for him and hope he goes well.

Really pleased for Dowsett, what a few weeks for him having just smashed the British 10 mile record. If only there was a prologue this year!

What was his 10 mile time?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.