The real old fans - come back.

BringBackSwales said:
didn't think the fans were the issue today

Agreed. As a club we had the wrong attitude today. As others have said it felt like an end of season party. Why did the League Cup need to be on display?

I just hope it's not another 34 years before we win owt, and I know, I know but I thought exactly that with that 1976 team!!!

Nothing is guaranteed in football and we should cherish every moment of this success we've had over the last few years, as it can cruelly be taken away in a blink of an eye.

Didsbury Dave said:
Why Always Ste said:
Already posted this in another thread but yea we won a free upgrade into the Hospitality area today and it was awful.
Hardly no atmosphere, everybody sat down (only standing to go eat more food)
The dress code, general vibe, just wasn't football for me at all.

I would genuinely refuse an offer of a free Box or any hospitality after experiencing it as you just can't put a price on Atmosphere that we somehow still get in small pockets in the stadium.

We were 2-1 down near the end and where we sat in this corporate area was near enough empty (even though we had 3mins + 5mins extra time) to play.

No support except with your credit card when buying overpriced carveries and shit.

[bigimg]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/61984000/jpg/_61984460_seats.jpg[/bigimg]

Please.

You entered a competition to win hospitality and now you're acting all surprised that it wasn't like the south stand, or wherever you sit?

You dick. These people's cash subsidise your season ticket. Just because they don't do the Poznan and headbutt opposition fans, doesn't make them less valuable to the club. The truth is the club desperately needs more people in the corporate areas.

Fair enough.
Guess we'll have to sacrifice atmosphere for the sake of increasing the Matchday revenue to please Platini.

I'm all for this safe standing, but would it really make much of a difference? it would be going where people stand anyway I'm guessing. Cant see it improving any time soon unless they have something planned for when the south stand it expanded.

awest said:
We need them back in numbers to get behind the lads when we are struggling. The new fans seem to have to wait until we are 3-0 up before getting behind the team. Surely we are not turning into the prawn sandwich brigade are we?

The ground has become swarmed with the prawn sandwich people. There is little to no atmosphere at all. There is little no chants or whatever to get behind the team as the 12th man. There have been exceptions but they're usually against the rags.

People have paid their money and can obviously do what they want but our ground is up with their amongst the quietest in the league.

argyle said:
awest said:
We need them back in numbers to get behind the lads when we are struggling. The new fans seem to have to wait until we are 3-0 up before getting behind the team. Surely we are not turning into the prawn sandwich brigade are we?

The ground has become swarmed with the prawn sandwich people. There is little to no atmosphere at all. There is little no chants or whatever to get behind the team as the 12th man. There have been exceptions but they're usually against the rags.

People have paid their money and can obviously do what they want but our ground is up with their amongst the quietest in the league.

Even if we were stood on the Kippax to watch that shit today, it would have still been shit with little atmosphere. The players have a responsibility to try and give the fans something to sing about. It's a two way street.

argyle said:
The ground has become swarmed with the prawn sandwich people.

Has it, though? I look around and see so many grey haired middle aged and elderly men. These don't appear to be glory hunters and I'm sure many have been supporting for years.

It's not like our ground is full of tourists. Wherever I look and listen it seems to be mostly people who have probably supported City most of their lives. But many sit in silence.

I think there are several reasons (it's more like a concert/event than a ritual of people proudly supporting their local team now) but one of them could be that we had a generation, people in my age group, where many chose United because we were quite rubbish. I see a lot more older people and kids/teens than to those around my age.

Unfortunately... while football is a pleasant experience for families now, the kids supporting City seem to be getting introduced to the 'Hugh Ferris, City Square and the Family Stand' version of football, not 'sing with dad on the terraces' version of football (the Family Stand encapsulates it all... almost no noise despite being full of kids with their parents), so I don't know if it'll be any better when they've all grown up.

Let's be honest, unless it's a big occasion singing and standing is now a minority interest at English football. Last week at Wembley, everyone around me was singing at some point but only because it was a grand occasion. Most of them would have been sat in the silent majority against Wigan again.

The best solution IMO is an application-based block or couple of blocks. The 1894 Group could spend the next year or two recruiting for this (as they did for their small projects in cup games) if the club guaranteed them space in the expanded ground. This is the only way to get a devoted area not diluted like the South Stand and Kippax corner are now with people who have the privilege of standing unharassed, but stand quietly with their arms crossed.

If kids looked across from the Family Stand at one or two blocks full of colour and constant noise, they might say "I want to be part of that when I'm older", instead of joining in the apathy that has spread around the ground (unless we score).

Unless it's away we just want to be sat down and be entertained, we don't want to have to work for our gratification.

Another truly hilarious thread. I just love it when we get beat, Bluemoon is like the Christmas TV times, full of repeats,
1. Pellegrini crap
2. Atmosphere crap
3. Dzeko crap
4. Early leavers are crap
5. Garcia crap
6. Demichelis crap (I agree with this one)
7. Crowd full of tourists
Etc etc etc

Having watched hundreds of games from the Kippax I know what it was like on there when we were playing crap, atmosphere was flat, you would always have a few pockets trying to get everyone going but it wasn't like a derby every game as some people are trying to say. I've also got dozens of VHS copies of games that reflect this. I completely agree the atmosphere could be better but to try and suggest that Maine Road was a constant hot bed of atmosphere is wrong. Wigan had a good following today, were loud and their team were up for a fight, sadly our team wasn't which was obvious as early as the 2nd minute and gradually the atmosphere sank. If the team comes out fighting it fuels the fans and vice versa, today was not one of those days unfortunately.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.