The Same Old Traps

Superb post, I cant believe how some of us react sometimes, we do really feel the pressure from the media and we shouldnt.

The owners and the board know what they are doing and so does Mancini, leave them to it and dont add any fuel to negative fires.

A great post but sadly most of the 'outers' wont take the time to read it all

crystal_mais said:
I fully appreciate the job Mancini has done since he has been at the club. He has made a 40 year old man very happy and further strengthen my young children's affiliation with the club by winning the trophies. But I have said for a while I don't think he has what it takes to take us to the next level in Europe.

We need to be setting Europe alight to progress to the next stage of the clubs development. The revenue and marketing available is key to the club and future players will look at our success there.

I think RM should be given this season, but we need to be winning something. In my opinion, apart from the last 6 games of last season we have been very poor since about December (especially away from home). Teams have sussed how we play and we tend not to have a plan B. No Pace, No Width.

My loyalty is to City - if there is a better option which will improve City - I'll take it just as any manager or player would. I understand peoples attachment to the guy but lets not all forget it's City not the individual we follow.

this is the truth

Howling Wolf said:
crystal_mais said:
I fully appreciate the job Mancini has done since he has been at the club. He has made a 40 year old man very happy and further strengthen my young children's affiliation with the club by winning the trophies. But I have said for a while I don't think he has what it takes to take us to the next level in Europe.

We need to be setting Europe alight to progress to the next stage of the clubs development. The revenue and marketing available is key to the club and future players will look at our success there.

I think RM should be given this season, but we need to be winning something. In my opinion, apart from the last 6 games of last season we have been very poor since about December (especially away from home). Teams have sussed how we play and we tend not to have a plan B. No Pace, No Width.

My loyalty is to City - if there is a better option which will improve City - I'll take it just as any manager or player would. I understand peoples attachment to the guy but lets not all forget it's City not the individual we follow.

this is the truth

This is bollocks.

This is the truth:

http://transferpriceindex.com/2012/...all-time-best-managers-versus-the-mxir-model/

Mancini is a great Manager. Calm down and think.

Cobwebcat said:
Howling Wolf said:
crystal_mais said:

this is the truth

This is bollocks.

This is the truth:

http://transferpriceindex.com/2012/...all-time-best-managers-versus-the-mxir-model/

The table makes great reading but it is only looking at Premier League performance. People are questioning RM's credentials in Europe.

I have no doubt he can keep us in the top 3 in PL for seasons to come.

Marvin said:
Goo said:
I have been avoiding this board since the Ajax loss, but since returning I am not surprised one bit to see us falling into the same old traps that we always do after a loss. The media cracks the 'blame game' whip and we all march in line. It really is astonishing for a group of fans to be so conscious of the way the media works one day, and the next day to then lead the line of dissent conducted by the tabloid press.

The Mancini outer's have been out en masse since the final whistle in Amsterdam and it felt like the posts were already written in anticipation.

European football isn't something that the bank balance can govern. That just helps you on your way. The time necessary to bring a club from regular entrants to the Champions League, to regular knock out places is vast. I'm sure a few statistical boffins could come up with a few outliers, but the fact remains that throughout history, English clubs have taken a very long time to come to terms with the rigors of European football. We have a manger who has won us the FA Cup and the league title in the last two years. Remind me how long it took Ferguson to win anything at Old Trafford? Well it was 6 years. It also took him a fair chunk of time to be able to show any convincing upward trajectory in Europe. Wenger can also be used for historical reference. One of the best managers in the premier league era and still not one the Champions League. That says far more about the Champions League than Arsene Wenger, that's for sure. Finally, the last yard stick I'll use is Chelsea. The never ending changing of managers, high player turnover, and like us, millions of pounds pumped into winning the competition and they needed all the luck in the world to finally clinch it almost a decade after his project began. 6th in the league, yet champions of Europe.

Why can't that be us? Well it would start if we were seeding in pot 1. In our maiden season in the champions league we were seeded to fail. I know that imbalance of fairness can be broken from time to time, but it's still worth noting it's existence. This season we've been in pot two yet had a group that makes us look like pot 3 once again. Dortmund, Read, and Ajax are our current group and we're expected to do just as well as a team handed Cluj, Galatasaray, and Braga. Just because we don't hear Dortmund's name when the biggest clubs in Europe are mentioned (AC, Inter, Barca, Real, Bayern, etc) doesn't mean they're mugs for the taking. Last night when we were all sulking over a defeat, Dortmund were celebrating beating Real Madrid. That's a big deal when you consider Real's players, manager, and Champions League experience. Ajax nearly held the same team to a draw in Amsterdam. We're not playing poor teams by any stretch of the imagination. I firmly believe that you need three things to do well in the Champions League; Top quality players/Top quality manager/Top quality experience of playing together. We have the first two. The third is in the process of being secured.

Mancini is a great manager. Deep down we all know it, but the slow dripping of media-conjured doubt over his job makes everyone shake like a shitting dog with fear that he might not be the man. The only managers who have won the Champions League in such a short time are managers who have inherited the first and final necessities I mentioned above, and have themselves been the second requirement. Mancini is the second, but inherited none of the others. There is an argument he initially had some quality players, but mostly not CL quality. Now we have the players, the manager, and we're just waiting on that elusive experience. We need time to develop as a team, as players, and as a club. With that in mind we should all be saying "Fuck it, I can see the bigger picture here"

I've also noticed that even the new signings are getting it in the neck. Hardly any of them have even featured yet. Again if we look at the history we know it takes some players (if not most players) months to get into the rhythm of their new team, why should this lot be any different? I distinctly remember the resident flappers wishing we'd signed Van Der Vaart instead of Silva during his early days. Looking back that is sheer lunacy, and he's arguable our best player, not to mention one of the best attacking midfielders in the world! Same happened with Yaya when he first signed. Now he's widely regarded as the best midfielder in the league, and rightly so. Why should we expect Garcia to fire on all cylinders after one or two games? Sure that'd be lovely, but it's not realistic. Nastasic looks quality and young, just what we wanted instead of Savic. Sinclair is an as-good-as-version of Johnson, who is younger and seems very willing to learn. Again, exactly what we wanted from a young squad player. Maicon has vast experience, could make our first XI while also provides cover allowing Micah to move to centre back when needed, and hopefully will have a 'Vieira' effect on the younger players. Again, ticking important boxes. Finally Rodwell. A young promising player who with any luck will take over from Barry when he either moves on or hangs his boots. Last summer when he was rumored to join United, people were hailing him as the new Scholes. Be that prediction true or not, it just goes to show that he's rated very highly. Give the guys a chance. These transfers are not "baffling" or hard to understand in the slightest. They fulfill necessary roles in our team.

This club we all love is forever showing evidence that we're heading in the right direction since Mancini took over. Just because we hit a few stumbling blocks (namely in Europe) along the way is no reason to assume he's tactically inept! Short term evaluation is definitely the wrong way to go about assessing ones managerial credentials. That's been proven to us time and time again.

"There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know." - Harry S. Truman

DISCLAIMER: Before anyone decides to bite my head off, this is all my opinion of course, as always :)
I am afraid to say that Mancini is not a great manager. We won the FA Cup and League because we have great players.

The lack of tactics and a game plan in all the European matches, especially the away games has been startling. Why doesn't he ever send City out to defend away from home? We have plenty of pace on the counter eg Dzeko winner at WBA which was counter-attacking perfection. But instead we play into the hands of our opponents.

I don't want Mancini to go mid-season, that would be a mistake, but he's not getting the best out of our players in European competitions, and I don't think he has a clue why that is. And Europe is important to City, therefore it can not be ignored
So why does he get the blame when we do poorly? That doesn't make sense. Why do players get the glory when we win and the manager gets the stick when we lose? That's stupid!

crystal_mais said:
Cobwebcat said:
Howling Wolf said:
this is the truth

This is bollocks.

This is the truth:

The table makes great reading but it is only looking at Premier League performance. People are questioning RM's credentials in Europe.

I have no doubt he can keep us in the top 3 in PL for seasons to come.

There is no difference. There are good and bad teams in the Premiership and Europe. We have played very good teams in Europe but it's not like that means we would have struggled in United's group.

If there were a difference what makes people think that a good CL Manager would necessarily get us there in the first place...perhaps he won't understand Stoke?!

It's nonsense.

Mancini's managerial record in European competition is far from great and it is not looking like improving in the short-term. I have not given up on him finding a solution to that failing but I wouldn't claim high confidence that he will do so. If he makes it to next season, it will be his last shot at Europe with City if he does not make it beyond the group stage to a least the QF, if not SF.

I was sure we'd win the league for a but a brief period last season, I'm not this year. We had a hugely disappointing summer in the transfer market, not all Bobby's fault by any means but we still have a team that lacks too much pace and Bobby must surely share some of the blame for that. He has is work cut out to retain his job.

OB1 said:
Mancini's managerial record in European competition is far from great and it is not looking like improving in the short-term. I have not given up on him finding a solution to that failing but I wouldn't claim high confidence that he will do so. If he makes it to ext season, it will be his last shot at Europe with City if he does not make it beyond the group stage to a least the QF, if not SF.

I was sure we'd win the league for a but a brief period last season, I'm not this year. We had a hugely disappointing summer in the transfer market, not all Bobby's fault by any means but we still have a team that lacks too much pace and Bobby must surely share some of the blame for that. He has is work cut out to retain his job.

Strongly disagree. Europe is not some mythical place where every team plays better football its just that there are about 10 teams in Europe that are about our level and we keep drawing them.

Fabulous thread / post .

One crap tactically inept performance in Amsterdam and they are all out slagging the Champions of England off ffs !

How many times has taggart fucked up in 20 odd years at Utd ??? loads and loads is the answer costing Utd trophies and titles ...... it happens , everyone give Bobby Manc and the lads a break , its a long long season. Back to back premier league titles how fantastic would that be ! Barcelona , Madrid we aint ...... YET !

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Nicely written, articulate, but please credit fellow blues across all sections of our support, with the brains to think for themselves.

Certainly, that it may represent whatever majority.

Opinions are generally formulated well before the media get the chance to kick City when they are down.

They are formed on the field of play, there for all to see, backed up by a set of poor results in a particular competition, which has been the current topic for debate.

I don't consider Bobby a bad manager, but I certainly don't believe him to be a great one, as many seem to have already bracketed him.

I saw them same old arguments from those who could see that Hughes was delaying the inevitable, that he simply wasn't good enough for the next step.

People would cry, but you never get anywhere with sacking managers, he got us to the Carling Cup semi-final, etc.

Well, we certainly got somewhere by sacking him, an upgrade was available which helped our wealth to realise an FA Cup and Premier League title.

It's a little close-minded to suggest that Bobby is the full stop to this great story.

He's simply a chapter, a momentous one, but I think we are far from being a best-seller under his tenure.

He thrives on creative tension, an autocratic style, but even Ferguson has had to accept the realities of the modern game and adapt.

Simply my opinion, nothing more, but from what I have seen so far, there is a very strong likelihood we will end this season with nothing.

The Barcelonisation of our club, behind the scenes, I can't help but feel and even hope this whole 'project' set up for Pep Guardiola to become our manager one day.

Thanks for the feedback. You're right, I should have dedicated some more space to praising the loyalty the "reasonable" blues. My mistake.

Opinions, as you say, are often formed from the pitch through to the stands, but that's not enough evidence to support a case for sacking a manager in my opinion. Not when we've been performing in other areas. We need to take into account what goes on behind the scenes just as much as what happens on the pitch. Something that's not accessible to us. The board could have taken another year with Mancini and put his contract extension on the back burner until next summer to see how things went this year. I feel there is a lot of goings on, and things that have been said for a while now that we don't know about. European plans (long term plans at that) which the Sheik and Khaldoon are satisfied with, hence his summer contract extension. As you're considered by others, and generally by myself to be ITK, then perhaps you know more on the goings on behind the scenes than others, but almost everyone else doesn't have that privileged and bases many many assumptions on sheer conjecture.

The parallel with Hughes is slightly unfair as well, as Hughes was failing on all fronts, not just a perceived or suspected failure on one front. I find that one of Roberto's strengths one day, becomes his weakness the next according to certain sections of fans. A couple of examples of this;

Blaming himself for bad performances: I've read countless times that this is a trait Mourinho holds, and is considered perfect in the modern game as it relieves pressure from the players. When Bobby tries it, it's suddenly defeatist and "proves" he's clueless.

Playing cards close to his chest: We love it when things are going right and he reveals fuck all the the media (like our final games after Arsenal away last season). We love it when we're winning. When he does it after a loss, it suddenly fuels the "clueless" fire.

There are plenty more examples of this throughout his tenure, and the quick changing of minds about the benefits of a personality trait serves to benefit no one.

Didsbury Dave said:
To me the mindless, non-questioning support of the manager comes from those without huge football knowledge. Which is why they are constantly getting wound up by other opinions, including those of respected figures in the game.

Nothing will happen until the summer of course. I feel he may need to win the league to stay in tenure, though.

If "blind faith" was my MO, then I'd take up religion. My posts are not based on unquestionable following of Mancini at all, in fact that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm analytical by nature and I seek the truth based on evidence and reason. As much as I hate to draw comparisons to that lot, United are the benchmark for consistent success in the modern English game right now. When you compare the early tenures of Ferguson and Mancini, they're very similar. In fact Mancini's is better! Not just Ferguson, but other managers, almost always produce much higher standards of football than thought possible when they're given a long period of time to develop that standard.

We talk a lot on hear about Mancini's attitude and relationship with his players. To quote an earlier post of yours, you said he was "stubborn, strong and single minded." Well that is exactly the same as Ferguson. Both even become quite paternalistic with certain players (i.e Ronaldo, Beckham, Balotelli.) The only difference between the two managers (concerning these traits) is that, no one at united thinks they can beat Ferguson to get their own way so never try. He's been at the club so long he is utterly untouchable. That goes for the media as well, not just the club staff. Our club needs that faith in our manager, and the knowledge that if they want to play for our club, it's Mancini's way or the highway and not kick up a stink when things get tough blaming anyone but yourself. If in the long term Mancini fails to deliver any significant progress then we can reassess the information then. My point being that it feels foolish to make up your mind so early!

As for this obsession with having a plan B, United hardly have a plan B. In their last champions league game Ferguson spoke of a tactical revolution, employing a diamond midfield formation. It went totally to shit and they conceded 2 goals before he decided to go back to predictable old United with their wing play and hoof it in the box and hope for the best. We know diamond formations can work else where and we know Ferguson isn't a bad manager. From that we can deduce that time is needed to install a new system on a team (reference 3-5-2 at City) and that the "right" manager for any particular club isn't infallible. You don't see the media on Ferguson's back, or bullshit "no-quote" stories about how there is a back room rift because of new systems.

Not that you've mentioned it, but the back room player revolt story that is circulating the papers is such dross. The amount of players who came out saying how happy they were he signed a contract extension in the summer I find it impossible to believe they suddenly all want him gone.

To everyone else who's posted in this thread, thanks for the feedback!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.