"The Sancho Narrative" vs patience

Didn't Sancho go on strike to force the move? He didn't turn up for pre-season training and refused to come back to City. We offered him a decent new contract but as he moved abroad Dortmund didn't have to pay the full fee - it was the development fee and so he got a bigger contract. His agent then put out the narrative that he was moving to play first team football whereas an equal true narragtive could be that he moved for more money.

I'm not 100% sure of the above so please correct me if I'm wrong.
It’s harsh to say he moved for money and not first team football. We weren’t giving him first team football - and I’m not saying we should have been - but he’s now getting that at Dortmund. I can’t say I wouldn’t have pushed for the same move if I were him in his situation. He maybe could’ve manoeuvred it in a better way but it’s working out extremely well for him and he has had a fantastic breakthrough season, I don’t think anyone can argue that?

If you look back at players who played a lot in their youth you’ll find that a good percentage burn out young. Off the top of my head I would say Owen & Rooney are two such examples from being boy wonders at 19 & their best days behind them at 24. Hate to mention it but Taggart eased Giggs, daft David, Scholes etc into his team in the way in which Pep is doing with Phil. Sorry that Jadon & Brahim went but I think they may regret it in the future.

Not just the great kids who burnt out fast (Owen etc) think of all the kids who at 18 or 19 were going to be world beaters but never developed sufficiently. Good enough to have a decent career but not at the top table.

Game time is needed, but playing 90min week in week out doesn't leave you time to develop, doesn't make you hungry to play, desperate to proove, or make you appreciate what you have when you get it.

When I was Mr Sancho's age, learning my trade at Royles in Irlam, I was earning £5 4s 6d a week.

Had I been on the thousands a week Jadon was offered, I might have stayed rather than moving to J Cockshoots in Belle Vue.

As an earlier poster wrote, mentality plays a huge part in a young prospects development... I strong suspect that, in this respect, Mr Foden is a long way ahead of Mr Sancho from City's point of view.

JJ

Pep has said that midfield players develop later than wide players because of the extra tactical requirements. Wide players can be given their head to a much greater extent.I suspect that if Sancho had stayed at City he might have played more minutes than Foden last year because he would have been a great bench option.

Pep's largely correct about midfield players taking longer to develop. There are obvious exceptions such as Fabregas. But most midfield players are 19+ when they come through. Foden has played more first team football than Scholes, Beckham, Busquets and Gerrard at the same age. If you compare him to another small midfielder, Bernardo Silva, Bernado played one senior match for Benfica when he was 19 but didnt become a regular first team player until he moved to Monacco when 20.

Its also illuminatiing to compare his development with Inesta, to whom he has been compared. Iniesta made 9 appearences for Barcelona as an 18 year old, 17 as a 19 year old and 46 as 20 year old (although the majority were off the bench). Inesta had benefited from playing 54 B team games as a 16-18 year old which must have helped his development.

Last night the commentators said Foden isnt getting enough time on the pitch. In the studio there were comments from Lineker about foden getting game time. Then post match interview the interviewer actually asks Foden himself does he get enough time.

Clearly someone somewhere is setting up a narrative to go for. Someone in charge is directing all the crew working that match on what the stories are that they have to work on.

What a croc of shite, we win 7-0 and they are concentrating on scandal.
Pundits on all channels and radio have been saying this for a while,they seem desperate to get him away from us,i don't trust that they are thinking about his wellbeing,he shat on the idea by signing for 6yrs and everytime he is interviewed he tells them how happy he is

If you’re not likely to be played for any respectable time, better to try your hand elsewhere.

Sancho did exactly the right thing for himself. What has he got to lose? If the current deal doesn’t work out, and he stays on this trajectory, he’ll make a further big and lucrative move.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.