The Smiths & Morrissey thread

As much as I love the smiths its Morrissey's solo stuff for me.. Viva Hate.. Class.

nimrod said:
Ducado said:
It is heartening that after all these years the music and messages contained still hold so much resonance even today, like it's been mentioned much of it is about real life rather than fantasy, I guess it's why many of us find observational comedy funny because we can relate to it, and I can certainley relate to a lot of it

Yeah but tbh you could say that about a ton of bands, like say The Kinks

Unlike The Kinks, The Smiths didnt enjoy any overseas success looking at theyre discography, very much an English band appealing only in theyre home country, well they did once get a No 9 in New Zealand lol

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiths_discography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiths_discography</a>

They have a huge cult following all over the world, the were never mainstream pop artists like the Kinks but I would wager that they are a far more popular band than the Kinks ever were or could have ever dreamed of being

Question for people

The Smiths and Morrisey or New Order and Joy Division, whos the best???

I am in the JD and NO corner.

Almost every Smiths song told a story, where the lyrics were sublime and told a narrative that people could relate to. The drudgery of work: "It pays my way but it corrodes my soul"

Add in the music from Johnny Marr and it was perfect combination.

The rain at the end of "Well I Wonder", the intro to "Last night I dreamt..." and countless other sounds that you wouldn't expect to hear in a song.

Amazing band.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Nightmare Walking said:
Question for people

The Smiths and Morrisey or New Order and Joy Division, whos the best???

I am in the JD and NO corner.

Who is the best based on what?

Personally never ''got'' Joy Division, but LOVE NO, great to dance too as well.
But no debate as to which I would take to Desert Island Discs!
The Smiths and Joy Division over Morrissey solo and New Order for me.

I was in the bedroom the other day drying off after a shower. I had Spotify playing 'Rank' through the stereo.
In walks my two year old as Panic was kicking in.

"Daddy, daddy what's this?" as he jumps on to the bed and starts to jump around like a, well like a two year old.

It seems my boy knows exactly how to use his ears to full effect.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.