The Smiths & Morrissey thread

Speedway is one of my favourite Morrissey songs.

The gig at Blackburn King George's Hall in 2002 was the best one I have been to.

The last one I went to was Stoke around 2011 maybe 12. Another cracker.

Worst was the MEN arena a couple of years ago when for some reason he came on at half eight and left thousands missing the first few songs oh and of course the Liverpool 2 song gig!

It is heartening that after all these years the music and messages contained still hold so much resonance even today, like it's been mentioned much of it is about real life rather than fantasy, I guess it's why many of us find observational comedy funny because we can relate to it, and I can certainley relate to a lot of it

I was at this gig

the daffs were trashed!

Enjoyed them but most around me were just bemused

The-Smiths-Coventry-Polytech-404734.jpg

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
Speedway is one of my favourite Morrissey songs.

The gig at Blackburn King George's Hall in 2002 was the best one I have been to.

The last one I went to was Stoke around 2011 maybe 12. Another cracker.

Worst was the MEN arena a couple of years ago when for some reason he came on at half eight and left thousands missing the first few songs oh and of course the Liverpool 2 song gig!

Yes Blackburn 2002 was a great gig, had seen him in Brum on the Wednesday, Bradford the Friday and Blackburn the Saturday (City had won at WBA in the day!)

Stoke was 2011 and yes excellent gig at Hanley Victoria Hall. Walked it from SOT station!
The Liverpool gig.... oh yes, there too!

Balti said:
I was at this gig

the daffs were trashed!

Enjoyed them but most around me were just bemused

The-Smiths-Coventry-Polytech-404734.jpg

Oh my fucking WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
My first Smiths gig - where the fucking hell did you get that from????

The Free Trade Hall gig was sold out that tour. City played Brighton away that day and reading the NME on the special on the way, I noticed The Smiths were playing Cov Poly that day. Had relatives in Cov and the special was stopping in Cov for the Leicester & Rugby branch to get on / off. I got off on the way back.....
Got to the Lanch (Lanchester Polytechnic) and there was 2 blokes with a table half blocking the door. I asked if any tickets were available and told it was sold out but a bloke there (bouncer pointed) was selling a ticket. I had a fiver on me... I asked him how much he wanted and the bouncer said ''face value''. I handed over a fiver, the bloke gave me the ticket and 2 quid change and I was in!
On the way out, called the relative and said I'd be there in 30 minutes wanting to crash for the night!

Edit - just looked and the poster says 3 quid 50p. I deffo only paid 3 quid ha ha ha

Ducado said:
It is heartening that after all these years the music and messages contained still hold so much resonance even today, like it's been mentioned much of it is about real life rather than fantasy, I guess it's why many of us find observational comedy funny because we can relate to it, and I can certainley relate to a lot of it

Yeah but tbh you could say that about a ton of bands, like say The Kinks

Unlike The Kinks, The Smiths didnt enjoy any overseas success looking at theyre discography, very much an English band appealing only in theyre home country, well they did once get a No 9 in New Zealand lol

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiths_discography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiths_discography</a>

Nightmare Walking said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Elbow beards said:
yep totally,when people were singing about love and beautiful woman, they were coming out with lyrics like " so you go and you stand on your own and leave on your own and you go home and you cry and want to die" it's just the realism of life that people can relate to. Life isn't a bed of roses and the smiths tapped into that like no other band,that coupled with some of the most iconic guitar riffs ever and it's no suprise their music still touches so many from different generations

Nail on head.
At the time, Wham were singing ''Club Tropicana drinks are free'' and prancing around in Speedo's around a Med pool, Duran Duran were sailing on boats in exotic places singing about ''oh Rio, Rio'' and I was on the dole living in a freezing cold bedsit in Sale....
Watching The Tube and The Smiths come on singing ''I would go out tonight but I haven't got a stitch to wear''.
I dived in head first.....

That would have been the same time New Order released Blue Monday.

Same year but 8 months apart. Blue Monday was released March 83. It never really left the charts and bounced back in after the summer of Euro discos (in September) and the fact it wasn't on the album ''Power, Corruption & Lies''.
''This Charming Man'' was released November 83

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.