The Southampton Thread!

Ducado said:
Some people seemed surprised by their drop in form, they had a very good run of fixtures at the start of the season and did well, but it was just a flash in the pan, it happens every now and again in the Prem, but it's such an unforgiving league and one that favours the teams with the biggest squads
Teams that have done this in the past dropped like a stone. Namely hull and blackpool.

super_city_si said:
Ducado said:
Some people seemed surprised by their drop in form, they had a very good run of fixtures at the start of the season and did well, but it was just a flash in the pan, it happens every now and again in the Prem, but it's such an unforgiving league and one that favours the teams with the biggest squads
Teams that have done this in the past dropped like a stone. Namely hull and blackpool.

I think that is because they were always in a false position and they have to expend a lot of energy to stay there, it's like the early leaders in the Grand National they rarely win, the horses they do win are the ones with the strength and energy to complete the course

I can't for the life of me remember which team it was, but I seem to recall in the not too distant past a team who were top at Christmas and either ended up being relegated or came very close.
No doubt someone will remember who.

stony said:
I can't for the life of me remember which team it was, but I seem to recall in the not too distant past a team who were top at Christmas and either ended up being relegated or came very close.

What position in the league were we at Xmas 1982?

stony said:

No one has done it in the PL era.

Blackpool were near the top of the table and were relegated a few years back and Hull did the same. Ipswich under George Burley finished 5th then were relegated the year after as did Blackburn who went from 2nd to relegation. Sunderland went from top to bottom aswell though I don't think they were relegated and not sure if they were actually top at Xmas.

chabal said:
stony said:

Midtable mate

Damocles said:
chabal said:
stony said:

Midtable mate

In November weren't we near the top? I seem to recall us beating Arsenal with 2 Tommy Caton headers that sent us to the top of the league or has my dementia set in early?

chabal said:
Damocles said:
chabal said:

Midtable mate

In November weren't we near the top? I seem to recall us beating Arsenal with 2 Tommy Caton headers that sent us to the top of the league or has my dementia set in early?

We did beat Arsenal around Xmas 1982 with two Caton headers from two corners. You might be thinking of 1981 where we weren't top on Christmas but we beat the scousers 3-1 on Boxing Day to go top

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzzG3Rv3oZ0[/video]

Damocles said:
stony said:

No one has done it in the PL era.

Blackpool were near the top of the table and were relegated a few years back and Hull did the same. Ipswich under George Burley finished 5th then were relegated the year after as did Blackburn who went from 2nd to relegation. Sunderland went from top to bottom aswell though I don't think they were relegated and not sure if they were actually top at Xmas.

Millwall were top of Division 1 (Championship now), on the 5th December 1995. They dropped into the bottom 3 on the last day of the season and thus got relegated. After 16 games, they had 32 points and they were relegated with 52 after 46. A second half demise to be proud of. They had Lucas Neill and Ben Thatcher as their full backs, so red cards might well have been an issue! Along with those bastions of fair play they had the oft forgotten Jason Van Blerk in the team.

Damocles said:
chabal said:
Damocles said:
Midtable mate

We did beat Arsenal around Xmas 1982 with two Caton headers from two corners. You might be thinking of 1981 where we weren't top on Christmas but we beat the scousers 3-1 on Boxing Day to go top

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzzG3Rv3oZ0[/video]

Cheers mate.

I had it in my head that in 1982/83 we managed to combine both genuine title contention and relegation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.