The Squad Depth Myth

Choosing our competitors midfield to compare to ours isn't right, if you stick to Strikers rather than midfielders, we shit on all of your mentioned teams (arsenal/chelski).
Comparing squads is exactly that, not comparing one particular position.

Kun Aguero said:
City

Pantillimon

Clichy Lescott Demichelis Richards
Milner Rodwell Garcia Navas
Dzeko Jovetic

Arsenal
Vivano
Monreal Theinvisibleman Vermaelen Jenkinson
Wilshire Flamini
Ramsey Rosicky Podolski
Bendtner

We shit all over Arsenal. Chelsea have a stronger squad than us though.

We'd have to play with 8 men and we would therefore get battered. How the fuck are Richards, Rodwell and Jovetic going to take part? Or is this a Subutteo challenge?

So, how many world-class players can a club comfortably have? If we have a squad of 18 worldies it would end in tears.

Ours is the best squad in the PL. For me that is not in question. In terms of league position tha means for me we should win the league, but as things stand we have about 33% chance, or little bit more. It's either us or Chelsea or Arsenal clearly.

Also if we wont be first thats down to the manager. As its his first season vs managers that know PL inside-out, it could be accepted that he doesnt win it if he does a great CL run, or wins an FA-Cup or something like this.

But back to the squad.

Yeah the starting team gives the most of the strength of the squad, but its the same for every team. Also it has to be said that we spent sometimes more on our fringe/squad/sub payers than some of our rivals spent on some of their starters...

Liverpool's squad's strength is 50% based on Suarez. Top top players mean a lot, just ask Harry Redknapp.:)

We have the most top players, Kompany, Silva, Yaya, Agüero, Zabaleta, Fernandinho. And if they are in good form they are top players too, like Nasri, Hart, Negredo...

The manager getting the most out of his squad also means a lot, I think Wenger this seasn is very close to getting the best out of Arsenal. I think they couldnt be lot better than they are now with the current players.

For us, Pellegrini is doing well, improving our style, pace etc, but our defending can be horrible at times, and will be punished many times, in CL especially, we leave huge paces sometimes, and some of our defenders are not up to this.
If Pellegrini could get out the most of this squad (really strong defence, midfield and attack together) we would be up there with Barca, Bayern. Right now we arent, we have problems yet but going in the right directions also some changes has to be made upgrading on certain players.
Doing it domestically and also making great CL runs (semifinals, or finals maybe), thats a big thing and really hard. We are still far from that, but maybe not that far. Getting closer.

But the current squad should be enough to win the title. Especially with the summer signings. We needed them certainly with players like Balo, Tevez, Barry leaving, also had no wide options now we have Navas.

Chelsea's squad is also great, but they have to learn a lot, a lot of youger players there, but replacing some older is a must for them, also big striker problem. Torres is only good vs City basically, and Eto is good can score some goals but he wont score 30 goals in a season anymore. Imagine them with Suarez. They would win the league easily.

But this best squad think also comes from a financial aspect, we have the highest wage bill in the league, maybe the 3rd-4th highest in the world, also the cost of the squad is very high up the list.

At once its easy with a squad like this, but also its extremely hard to manage a big squad with lot of stars, rotation, keeping them happy and also huge pressure to win trophies.

There is an issue with our defence

it seems to me that various possibilities are that.......

a) we lack strength in depth in this area of the squad

b) that the way that the whole club is set up emphasises attack over defence ("you score 4 , we'll score more") i.e.

c) that MP has not got his DMs clearly briefed in what their respective roles should be

d) that MP makes occasionally inexplicable team sheet choices (e.g. Boyota at RB, which is clearly a 'mare position for him)

Still happy overall , BTW , but if we want to win trophies, this needs sorting....

NoahCity said:
Agreed, I say that over the next two windows, I would like to see an AM/winger added, a DM (similar to Fernandinho hopefully) and a class CB. That represents the minimum for me, other moves I can see are perhaps us adding 2 players in central midfield instead of just 1 (after all, neither Rodwell or Garcia are decent so we might need to replace both) and back ups brought in in at the fullback positions as Richards is unreliable atm and Clichy has regressed (the FB is least urgent as Richards may yet overcome his injuries and Clichy is still decent and may rediscover his form).

Again we will add 4 or 5 players over the summer but its important we add in he right areas.

Its important you have the right quality and cover in the right areas and at present we are a bit short in a couple of areas.

We need to see some youth starting to make an impact from Viera's and his support team as well.

For the hear and now we will have to make do with what we have and hope some of the injured players get some meaningful game time and play to the level they are capable of.

Arsenal and Chelsea won't go away and Liverpool have few distractions with decent players to return.

As MP said 6 or 7 teams are in the hunt for 4 places.

Pants
Richards Demichelis Lescott Clichy
Garcia Rodwell
Navas Jovetic Milner
Dzeko

Fabianski
Jenkinson *NO-ONE* Vermaelen Monreal
Arteta Flamini
Ox-Chamberlain Rosicky Podolski
Bendtner

Schwarzer
Azpilicueta Luiz Kalas Bertrand
Essien Mikel
de Bruyne Mata Schurrle
Torres

Jones
Kelly Kolo Agger Cissokho
Sterling Allen *NO-ONE*
Alberto Aspas Moses

Friedel
Naughton Chiriches Kaboul Fryers
Capoue Paulinho
Lamela Holtby Sigurdsson
Defoe

Lindegaard
Smalling Ferdinand Jones Buttner
Nani Cleverley Anderson Young
Kagawa
Welbeck

I'd say ours is as good as any

Blankomania said:
I wish someone would tell the media and the pundits to stop pedalling the myth that we have the best squad deoth in the premier league. This is our second choice midfield:

Navas Garcia Rodwell Milner

Compare this to chelsea:

schurle mikel mata luiz de bruyne

arsenal:

Gnabry rosicky arteta cazorla

tottenham:

lamela capoue sandro holtby towsend

Apart from navas our midfield back ups don't come close

Milner is brilliant. What the fuck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.