The Squad planning thread

We seem to have deserted the notion of an effective press this season. A front three of Mahrez, Grealish and Erling is not going to push well enough as a unit. Hence our dependency on inverted full back to bulk out the midfield.
Alvarez, Silva and Foden brings the press back as an option but not necessarily our best ball holding set of players (apart from Silva).
I do think we are struggling to find a balance that accommodates Haaland. Hopefully an effective method will emerge sooner rather than later.
Great post.

I don't think Jesus and Sterling were great possession players but we did get a good press out of them. At the moment, I think it's better for us to win the ball higher up the pitch than have teams play through us because we can't win it higher up the pitch. As good as he is, we probably need more from Haaland in that regard, but certainly the players who make up the front three alongside him need to be good at pressing. Presently that would be Palmer, Alvarez and Foden.

I particularly liked the front three of Foden, Haaland and Alvarez against Forest back in August. If we can ransack the opposition early on with our most energetic and penetrative front players then the game gets a lot easier.

Mahrez has a lovely strike on him and can get goals but lacks a bit of pace. Grealish doesn't have any statistics which would justify his selection currently. His only obvious quality does appear to be ball retention but this often means playing it safely.

Out :

Grealish
Kalvin
Bernardo since he wants out

In :

2 wingers that can dribble, pass & finish.

why 3 ?

KDB, Gundogan, Rodri, Foden & the new Argie boy.
I guess fair. I assumed you would have included Perrone in your list if he was joining the squad in your scenario.

You also didn't mention Foden moving to midfield.

Not the worst but definitely still one midfielder short IMO.

Reckon Bernardo will leave and potentially Gomez out on loan, seems to be out of favour with Pep, not sure if he was ever thought of as more than a backup. I hope we extend Gundo.

Would like Fran Garcia (LB), Frenkie (for Bernardo) and one of Leao/Kvaratskhelia in the summer

IN

1) Bellingham
2) Guerreiro (Good fullback and links up well Haaland)
3) Kvaratskheila (If Bernardo sold to Barca)
4) Oyarzabal (If Mahrez is moved on)

**5) Gvardiol (Only if Laporte or Aké sold)

+....a speedy young winger don't think it's necessary to spend £100m+ on Leao

Reckon Bernardo will leave and potentially Gomez out on loan, seems to be out of favour with Pep, not sure if he was ever thought of as more than a backup. I hope we extend Gundo.

Would like Fran Garcia (LB), Frenkie (for Bernardo) and one of Leao/Kvaratskhelia in the summer
Mind blowing that we allowed Zinchenko to leave only to replace with Gomez.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.