The state of the gardens - another police incident

Anyway, what about the wag who in the 80's went to the gardens one night with a pair of hob nail boots and a tin of white paint. The next morning there were clear footprints from Queen Victoria's statue to the ladies toilets and in those days no busy body council workers came round and scrubbed it off. It stayed there for years. Brilliant.

Anyway, what about the wag who in the 80's went to the gardens one night with a pair of hob nail boots and a tin of white paint. The next morning there were clear footprints from Queen Victoria's statue to the ladies toilets and in those days no busy body council workers came round and scrubbed it off. It stayed there for years. Brilliant.
I remember those white boot prints very well. They made it look like Vicky had left her throne to go to "the throne".
Pure vandalism but whoever did it had a very good sense of humour.

Piccadilly Gardens and other areas of the city centre has always had undesirable sides to it. But it was never so much 'out in the open' as it is now, because the dregs of this fucked up society we have allowed to happen, have zero fear nor respect of the law. 'You can't touch me' is their cover all response.

That it's like this, is as much the fault of the system as it is the feral rats strutting around the place thinking they are 'gangstas' (innit). The system took away any forms of discipline in schools, siding instead with 'my poor little Johnny' and his 'parents', hiding behind him supposedly having ADHD, and not just being a little bastard ...... and they then grow into what we see today.

You really do reap what you sow.

Last edited:
You’ve got to be an absolute not right to even be in Piccadilly Gardens on a Sunday night. I mean, what the fuck. Of all the other places you could be. No doubt it was shit on shit so let them crack on wiping themselves out.

They used to have those portable outdoor urinals in the Gardens, to stop clubbers fouling the place up with abandon. What happened to them?

We have powerful cctv, very powerful, the greatest in the world. Cheers pat you useless Trump talking gimp.

How about some coppers cracking some heads?

From my experience, the CCTV in Manchester is nowhere near as good as you would want or expect it to be.

My old neighbour was the head Gardiner for Piccadilly Gardens at the height of their beauty (he left eventually as they would never promote...he was too good at that particular job). This was probably in the 80's. He showed me some polaroids of his incredible work which coincided with the opening of the new Pizza Express. They ended up having copies of these photographs blown up and used as the interior on the walls (they may still be there...I haven't been since the opening). and gave him free pizza for a year...but he didn't really like pizza. He sadly died far too young a few years ago.
Definitely managed down towards the end but the fact they had to build on it just to so they had money to pay for that wall and gardens (both knackered) is a shocker (and indeed heads should've rolled).
I don't know but I suspect this new gardens is being managed down again and eventually a large scale redevelopment will take it's place (maybe even removing the Plaza/City Tower).
You only have to look at the fantastic job they've done with St.Peter's Square down the road (and the Albert Sq once rebuilt).
From Picc Station to Oldham Street, top of Market Street/High Street to Portland St (and that horrific Brittania hotel)...all absolutely horrid and stuck in Manchester's grimy past.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.