The Stoke towel situation

It's entirely up to the ref to hurry Delap along. Towels are available for both sides as pointed out above. One ref last season outlawed the use of them after a dispute with Birmingham when a ball-girl refused one of their players one .

The long throw is a weapon that is well within the rules. I agree that Delap is allowed too much time although he often susses a ref out early on to see the reaction to the time he takes. v Liverpool for instance he was hurried a few times. Dean Windass of Hull when warming up did try to stand in front of him- let's be honest though Dean Windass blocks most of the touchline.

I noticed Chelsea and Spurs have both adapted a similar throw into their armoury recently as well as Blackburn. Wenger of course said it should be outlawed

I wouldnt call it time wasting at all as whilst he is drying the ball our defenders are coming up from the back to get into position, its a set piece, just like a corner or free kick and these also take time for players to get into position

I wouldnt call it time wasting at all as whilst hes drying the ball our defenders are coming up from the back to get in position, its a set piece, just like corners and free kicks

Does this mean Stoke are throwing in the towel already? The Stoke lot seem alright, I think Pulis is just playing to your strengths and each season you are playing better football so can't complain about that. Allardyce on the other hand.

As for this spuds fan, the forum is generally a bit of banter, no need to take it too seriously and write all these boring posts about how you work with all the teams etc. Im not sure Cech's head guard would make much difference ifhe was clattered into, I would wear a proper helmet myself. But you're the expert.

a question to the stoke fans on here...is delap worthy of a place without the throw-ins? he doesnt seem to give you much apart from that and you have better footballers on the bench..tuncay has always look a danger.

We should do the same. Get Kolarov or Boateng to use the towel. Send in Balotelli, VK and Yaya with a few hanging on the edge of the box to fire it back in if needed.

When they get a thrown in, get Carlos ready to hit them on the counter attack. We get a goal like that off their first throw, may think again about using it.

But yeah, it should be cracked down on. Bad sportsmanship rather than mid-games imo, certainly not in the spirit of the game, but ultimately it's the referee's fault for allowing it week after week.

blue cigar said:
a question to the stoke fans on here...is delap worthy of a place without the throw-ins? he doesnt seem to give you much apart from that and you have better footballers on the bench..tuncay has always look a danger.

i was thinking this too.

Given the height in our team this season, i'm not sure that having delap in the stoke team isnt a benefit to us. Our height nullifys his throw ins, whilst delaps footballing prowess disadvantages stoke.

Having said that he'll probably go on a mazy run and belt one in now

BLUEMATT23 said:
I know some may say what's the difference in DE-Lap drying it with his shirt but the towel option to me takes more time out of the game & this is intentionally done to play on the minds of the opposition.
Body sweaty, shirt wet, towel would be a better option.

i noticed when watching blackburn and villa that pedersen was drying the ball with a towel at every opportunity, he has a huge throw! but they should be booked as players are for taking too long with free kicks

Always enjoy a trip to Stoke, has an edge about the place that you dont get at a lot of premier grounds these days. The footy might not be pretty sometimes but its a good day out regardless. Some of the best away days ever have been at Stoke, in terms of the atmosphere..Trevor Francis debut, The Fancy Dress Christmas do, the Relegation game...all down in folklore in my book.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.