The Stones Goal

Was it right to give a goal?

• Total voters
Separate from any analysis of the match and to get ahead of any 'it wasn't a goal' nonsense.

I've got to add a thread after the Micah Richards and Daniel Sturridge nonsense. It's a goal isn't it?

What Bernardo does before Stones heads the ball is irrelevant because he's onside when the corner is taken.

When Stones heads it he's completely ducked out of the way, nowhere near interfering with Sa. Obvious goal.

Regarding the officials, the linesman is right to stick his flag up from his angle, I think the referee should have overruled him on field, people are saying he did? But I'm not sure he actually did. Shouldn't need the monitor but well done to him and VAR for getting the right decision.

I'll add a poll but surely it's unanimous?
What Silva does before stones heads the ball is relevant, not regarding offside mind.

I struggle to see how there is any obstruction at all here. Sá has a fuckton of space, he's not exactly surrounded by players, he could choose to do literally anything, but decides to push Bernardo in the back who is literally just stood still which he is perfectly entitled to do.

If anything it's a foul on Bernardo.

.View attachment 135609

Silva backs into him let's not get silly here, anyhow the keeper is big enough to deal with any such minimal contact. These kinds of actions happen on every corner. It's a decision based on discretion and in this case the goal should stand.

There really isn't any need to discuss offside or pretend that Silva wasn't being obstructive because that was the exact reason he was stood there.

what id like explaining is when and how the linesman puts his flag up - we all know that overturning is much harder than leaving the decision as is

stones celebrates, runs over to the crowd. takes 15-20 seconds celebrating with the crowd, goes back on the pitch cuddles another team mate, phil comes and kisses him then stones is still gesturing to the city crowd when we hear the wolves crowd cheering and stones’ expression changes.

at no point did we the viewer see a flag.

The referee and the assistant would have had a little chat first. The linesman would have confirmed he was in an offside position and the referee then decides he thinks he’s interfering with an opponent and tells him to stick his flag up.

No idea how long that took, because I was watching it on Sky also. But usually players will have a quick glance at the linesman, see the flag’s not up and then go off to celebrate.

Doesn’t help matters of course that the commentator tells the viewers that the ref has given it and the VAR is recommending he disallows it. Don’t know what happened to them being able to listen in to the VAR.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.