The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
From what I am hearing, Covid just accelerated the plans and JP Morgan have been threatening to call in markers for some of the debts these clubs hold, primarily the American clubs and Real.

They are worried about when they will be getting their money back in a post-Covid climate, aside the clubs in question not being able to compete on the pitch, hence a closed shop proposal.

JP Morgan would pump in the start up but the likes of United, Liverpool and Arsenal would need to immediately hand back a decent wedge to pay down a tranche of the debt pile.

JP Morgan effectively pay themselves back and retain a major holding in the new Super League in perpetuity, with no fear of their bitches ever being displaced.

Guess where a certain Woodward used to work...

Absolutely crooked.
As an American who studies the housing market closely and lived through the crisis of 2008, this looks suspiciously like TARP -- the program by which the Treasury and Fed put capital injections into banks in the form of preferred stock with a coupon in order to bail out certain banks on the verge of collapse. In that case, the stronger banks received capital injections whether they needed them or not, because if they refused, the market would devour the banks that did accept and needed the injections. So the stronger banks provided "cover" for the weaker ones, just as the better capitalized clubs provided cover for Real Madrid and (I assume) Juve and Barcelona.

The injections were duly repaid and structured as non-voting preferred stock. In this case, though, are we sure that JP Morgan had an equity stake, at the outset or through a convertible note? If it's just straight debt, then this simply looked like a debt consolidation loan, not unlike those ads you see for "fix your credit" companies we see regularly over here. I understand the security was the future broadcast rights, and JPM are no dummies normally (i.e. they aren't Deutsche Bank), so I figure there was some kicker to them if the league performed well.

And do we know who holds the ESL members' debt? I know it was at one point a lot of hedge funds at Utd some time ago, and if I recall right, Roman has equity and debt investments at Chelsea.

Either way I agree completely with you and @domalino that this really comes down to Real Madrid being in deep financial trouble, and they trying to lean on stronger clubs (financially or via their brands) to get a slice of a newly made up synthetic pie. Greed in the case of those other clubs; desperation in the case of RM.

No punishment for the Spanish clubs says Tebas.

There’s a shock. Just like the Premier League, I don’t see how La Liga can punish the clubs. They didn’t threaten to leave their domestic leagues. The only body who could choose to try and punish are UEFA. The Premier League and La Liga would get laughed out of court.

I think this graph explains the whole superleague very succinctly.

Premier League money is a massive problem for everyone else in Europe.

View attachment 14850
Those leagues need to take a step back to take 2 steps forward.

They need to create some sort of parity financially so their leagues become something that people will watch.

It's that or a rule needs to be brought in that allows the lower finishing clubs to compete but Tebas for example has shown no desire to allow the Sevilla's, Bilbao's and Villarreal's of this world to compete.

It simply has to. It is the players who will have to suffer but the bubble has burst.
I'd suggest it should lead to a revamp of FFP where we look at leverage cash flow coverage of debt service levels, which is what we should have always been looking at (but didn't for obvious reasons -- and won't happen this time for obvious reasons).

NY Times take on it (yes it's Tariq & Rory Smith...)

As ever, the client journalists Smith and Panja have done their usual biased hack job: downplaying the key role of the American redshirt owners and banks in the birth of the very project itself, exaggerating the influence of figures such as Rashford and Henderson within their favoured redshirt clubs in the resistance tothe ESL and deliberately downplaying City’s importance in belatedly bringing the whole shitshow down.

20 fuckin scruffy no marks with nowt better to do turn up at the rags training ground with their usual shite bedsheet banners and it’s lead story on Sky Sports website, you couldn’t make these cunts up!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.