The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
I think the potential of Newcastle is overstated. No way that area is competing for top players against Manchester and London (and by extension Madrid, Barcelona, etc). Even we struggle sometimes on this front. FFP will limit their ability to compensate with wages, which probably limits them to being a solid Europa league club at best.
Indeed. Kevin Keegan struggled to persuade some players to join Newcastle because of their location. He signed Rob Lee from Charlton. Earlier Lee had turned down a move to Middlesbrough on the grounds that they were too far from London.

Keegan said “I told him Newcastle was nearer to London and he believed me!” It is certainly quicker by rail and possibly by road.

what a load of bollox.

if I make an allegation that you are a murderer then you wouldn’t have anything to be cleared of. So technically you are a murderer.

we were cleared of FFP.

Just because some bitter sods make an allegation doesn’t mean its true, we would all be in a lot of trouble if that were the case.
I don't think your post reads quite as you intended it to.

ESL Mark II. Believe me, this is what City want. If the money is there, they'll take it. That even overrides getting into bed with the clubs that have been trying to destroy us because we've won the financial arms race.

That's the ultimate betrayal here.
Then is it a case of hate the game, not the player?

I think the potential of Newcastle is overstated. No way that area is competing for top players against Manchester and London (and by extension Madrid, Barcelona, etc). Even we struggle sometimes on this front. FFP will limit their ability to compensate with wages, which probably limits them to being a solid Europa league club at best.
Live in Newcastle for 30 plus years it’s a hidden gem

I think they are sponsored by Qatar Airways and usually go to Qatar for their training camps.
In that case, there are two other UAE funded clubs in Super League besides City : Real Madrid and Arsenal.

Both sponsored by Emirates and got funds for stadium by UAE.

Bayern don't get enough money from Qatar to be swayed in favour or against the Super League. It is a 15-20 M sponsoring against a 300 M project.

They chose not to accept because they felt it wouldn't work and expected the backlash. Note that Dortmund refused too. German clubs couldn't get away with that with their football culture.

PSG wouldn't be able to pull it off in France either. Remember that for political gain, Hollande had introduced an high tax for high income even for French clubs. It cost PSG a bit of money. The government and the football federation would have buried PSG alive. PSG don't own the stadium and there would be call for the municipality to put pressure on that topic.

Anyway, it is very nice from the cartel clubs to have left their position of power in european bodies. Hope it backfires in the future and they lose influence.

Last edited:
City have been nothing more than a pawn. Uefa v Cartel to determine who holds the corrupt power in football. The clubs good name has been dragged through the mud.

We really are alone in this fight.
Which can make things difficult...but also means we can act with freedom and expedience.
Khaldoon and co. have known this for a long time and they are both sharp and confident enough to not let it worry us.

The problem with a percentage cap is that it benefits those with the highest revenue. Which is probably one of the factors that caused us to withdraw from the ESL as they had proposed a 55% cap on wages and net spending so if we were getting less money than United or Liverpool, then we're at an immediate disadvantage.

Whereas in the NFL for example, there's a fixed cap. Think it's $182.5m this coming season. But the NFL do revenue differently as they negotiate not just TV deals but kit deals and major commercial deals. These get shared equally among the 32 teams. There's other revenue streams, including their own local commercial deals, tickets, the food & drink concessions, parking and other things that they can keep for themselves. So there's still a financial discrepancy between the top and lowest earning teams but that doesn't matter as they all have to abide by the same absolute cap.

As a result, Dallas Cowboys are the highest earners by a mile and, without the cap would win the Superbowl every year. But because of the cap, they've not won it for 25 years. So I've come round to the idea of a similar system here, with central kit and commercial deals negotiated by the PL and a fixed cap.

I'd also abolish the current method of transfer fees but have clubs pay off the contract of a player they want to sign. But that payment is included in the cap (although it can be spread out over the life of the contract).

Then we really will have financial fair play.
Sensible ideas, and it’ll be surprising to many that it comes from US sport... of course, over there these rules ensure the owners can keep the lion’s share of the profits. It’d be good if we could find a way for the excess profits such a scheme would generate to find their way into grass routes and school sports, as well as the rest of the football pyramid.

Fans of the big clubs (now including us!) would need to get used to finishing bottom every now and then. We’ve got recent memories of how that is, but I wonder what utd and Liverpool fans would make of it? The only problem is - why would the big clubs agree to it? Could such as system ever be introduced in leagues with promotion and relegation? I doubt it, sadly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.