The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Just to play devils advocate, but imagine we’d said absolutely no chance to joining. Now imagine that it is kicking off next season without us in it, and all the particiapants got a massive wedge of cash, fuelling a huge transfer splurge in the summer for those involved. Would everyone be praising the owner and execs or slagging them off for missing out on the SL riches?

1. The first thing the clubs got wrong is that entry into the proposed new league should be on merit (ie qualification via league position). These teams would be what I would define as Europe’s top clubs.

2. The current format for elite football in Europe is becoming stale and boring, and requires a radical revamp. Nothing in it for me directly apart from being excited by the prospect of top quality high ntensity games with the sense of achievement that the club coming out on top would get.

3. Another missed opportunity by the clubs is the failure to explain the additional revenue that would be generated and to come up with a fair way to ensure that a percentage of this revenue would be distributed throughout the pyramid.

4. Don’t get me started on Brexit.

5. I remember all the dummy spitting that went on when the Premier League was proposed, very similar predictions of doom. Turned out to be a roaring success so it isn’t always the case that change is bad even though reluctance to change is usually very strong in the football world. A European Super League with relegation/promotion and the opportunity for clubs to take part based on merit is a proposition that is so strong that it will happen one day imo.
At least the 50+1 model keeps the German league as competitive as ever.....
Munich about to win 9 in a row. Nearest challengers Dortmund, so we will just have their players. Nearest challengers now Leipzig, so we will just have their manager..

I definitely agree with you that they botched this attempt badly. But it won't go away.

The Italian clubs are skint, the two big Spanish clubs have €2bn of debt, Spurs are in dire financial straits I suspect and the US-owned clubs want to get rid of the uncertainty and irregular financial flows that the current system brings.

They either have to bend UEFA to their will again, at a time when Ceferin has been emboldened, grown a spine and isn't taking any shit, or forego their national leagues.

The attempt last week solidified the fact that the German clubs and Spanish top 2 can't join without their fans voting for it. So no Barcelona, Bayern or Dortmund. Perez might have enough sway at Madrid to get them to back him, but even that's unlikely.

PSG and City are happy with the status quo because we're winning vs the old guard in this format and it would take a lot of incentivising to get them to join another - especially now both have seen what's to be gained by not joining.

So who is going to form this super league? The Italian big 3, United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs?

The Italian clubs are skint, the two big Spanish clubs have €2bn of debt, Spurs are in dire financial straits I suspect and the US-owned clubs want to get rid of the uncertainty and irregular financial flows that the current system brings.
After reading a lot about this recently, I have concluded that Football is not broken. Football was never broken.

Football Administration is Broken.

Completely fucked, beyond repair. And it has been broken by the handful of pricks that now want to fix Football Administration, by completely fucking up Football.

What a mess!!

Interesting how this all came about. Owners have invested their own money into football clubs since its inception but now it is seen as dirty money. Newcastle, Blackburn, City, Chelsea to name a few.

The premier league has some cheek blocking the Newcastle takeover but quite happily let the yanks purchase united and Liverpool with money they did not have.

I keep hearing football is a business. Why does that idea have to be universal? If owners want to spend their own money, who cares? But what about Leeds/Portsmouth etc. Are they any different to the yank owners now? They are ruining clubs all the same.

The main problems with football is...you guessed it DEBT. Owners should never have been allowed to buy clubs when they do not have the money needed. Player Salaries are equally a huge fucking problem. It’s time Football authorities got their heads out of the cartels backside and governed the game properly. We all know it won’t happen but don’t worry another version of FFP & the Super league will be on its way. Fucking nonsense the lot of it.

Interesting how this all came about. Owners have invested their own money into football clubs since its inception but now it is seen as dirty money. Newcastle, Blackburn, City, Chelsea to name a few.

The premier league has some cheek blocking the Newcastle takeover but quite happily let the yanks purchase united and Liverpool with money they did not have.

I keep hearing football is a business. Why does that idea have to be universal? If owners want to spend their own money, who cares? But what about Leeds/Portsmouth etc. Are they any different to the yank owners now? They are ruining clubs all the same.

The main problems with football is...you guessed it DEBT. Owners should never have been allowed to buy clubs when they do not have the money needed. Player Salaries are equally a huge fucking problem. It’s time Football authorities got their heads out of the cartels backside and governed the game properly. We all know it won’t happen but don’t worry another version of FFP & the Super league will be on its way. Fucking nonsense the lot of it.

The Newcastle takeover was stupid but the PL did make the right decision in the end.

You can't bring in the Saudi's when they're hosting a piracy platform that's costing the other 19 clubs money.

And the takeover never even attempted to create the levels of separation between Saudi government and club that we have between City and the Abu Dhabi state, even though they were told to before the bid.

Ultimately the Saudi's made their choice, and they chose to carry on BeOutQ

Last edited:
1. The first thing the clubs got wrong is that entry into the proposed new league should be on merit (ie qualification via league position). These teams would be what I would define as Europe’s top clubs.

2. The current format for elite football in Europe is becoming stale and boring, and requires a radical revamp. Nothing in it for me directly apart from being excited by the prospect of top quality high ntensity games with the sense of achievement that the club coming out on top would get.

3. Another missed opportunity by the clubs is the failure to explain the additional revenue that would be generated and to come up with a fair way to ensure that a percentage of this revenue would be distributed throughout the pyramid.

4. Don’t get me started on Brexit.

5. I remember all the dummy spitting that went on when the Premier League was proposed, very similar predictions of doom. Turned out to be a roaring success so it isn’t always the case that change is bad even though reluctance to change is usually very strong in the football world. A European Super League with relegation/promotion and the opportunity for clubs to take part based on merit is a proposition that is so strong that it will happen one day imo.
There isn't going to be, and cannot be, a pan-European league with promotion and relegation. A pan-European league will probably happen some day, and if it does it will be closed as American sports are. In my mind that is an inevitability (albeit an unfortunate if not a tragic one) and that's precisely where the ESL was leading. Why would an owner regularly finishing second in a domestic league want to risk finishing 18th in a pan-European league and be relegated? He wouldn't, ever.

Last edited:
The Newcastle takeover was stupid but the PL did make the right decision in the end.

You can't bring in the Saudi's when they're hosting a piracy platform that's costing the other 19 clubs money.
Fair point. My main concern is the Americans. Their view on sport is fundamentally different from our own which is ok until it threatens the very fabric of football in this country. Imo they view the fans as unlimited cash machines. Closed league were the peacocks of united, Liverpool, Madrid, Barca can strut around holding the rest of us in contempt all because they have a history of success.

Football goes in cycles and those clubs can’t accept the inevitable decline. Instead they chase after money almost akin to a gambler who is convinced he will win with his next roll. Only to realise that he has lost it all.

Debt regret... time to tap these cunts out of English football.

I think he made a very fair point. No they haven't taken money out but they've definitely got something out of the relationship. We know the term 'sportswashing' is intellectual nonsense but they've been given the chance to promote their country and the companies based there.

I've been told that when Abu Dhabi leaders meet other world leaders, City is often the non-political opening topic of conversation, particularly when they're talking to Vladimir Putin, with his protege owning Chelsea. We've always known what the bargain was, if we've got half a brain, but we've got an awful lot out of it as well of course so we've always trusted those running our club.

We've also known they didn't put us at the front of their thoughts, despite the trophies, with constant increases in prices, more hospitality areas and advertising boards being seen as more important than fans. So there's always been a bit of cynicism but this latest episode has been a bridge too far for many.
What are your personal feeling PB could you be pushed to far and give it all up. How have your feelings towards the club changed in the last week. Just interested if I am being to nosy to ignore.

Why do these “elite clubs” need to be the participants in the definitive continental championship tournament?

From a consumer’s perspective, does it really matter which kit these players where? Quality is quality and people will watch a high quality product, regardless of who makes it. Nobody bins a TV show or film because of the producers or actors and the same can be said for concerts and music etc. obviously people have their preferences but in the end, good is good.

All of these historically elite teams have enjoyed such a massive advantage for so long it’s fucking laughable how they managed to end up in this situation, needing money. The ESL cohort has won 41 Champion’s League trophies out of a possible 65 trophies. If you include the Dominant German clubs and PSG, the last time a non-ESL club was in the final was when Porto won it in 2004. These big clubs already dominate the game, especially outside of England.

The Champion’s League is interesting because it really does do a good job putting together a collection of late season matches between the best clubs in Europe that have very high stakes. Additionally, there are often Cinderella stories that give fans a team to root for if their team didn’t make it deep into the competition. But in the end, the stakes mean more than teams. Barcelona vs Bayern is only interesting if it means something as neither club has a long history of competition with each other. Watching them play for 3rd & 4th place, or 19th & 20th place doesn’t mean too much if it doesn’t mean anything.

These skint Spanish and Italian clubs, and Spurs can fuck off. If Madrid is poor because Perez spent all their money and their lenders money on a new stadium they can’t fill because they did a shit job managing their organization and lose, that is Madrid’s problem. They shouldn’t have a divine right to the most lucrative competition in the world. Quite frankly, they have such a leg up on everyone else it’s hilarious that they couldn’t keep the distance between themselves and the rest.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.