The Title Race - 2021/22

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the 2-2 draw in Jan against Chelsea Liverpool have played....

Brentford H (3-0)
Palace A (3-1)dodgy pen at 2-1
Leicester H (2-0)
Burnley A (1-0)
Norwich H (3-1)
Leeds H (6-0)
West Ham H (1-0) Missed tons of chances
Brighton A (2-0)

No wonder they've won 8 on the bounce.

During that run we had...

Chelsea H
Southampton A
Brentford H
Norwich A
Spurs H
Everton A
Rags H
Palace A

I'll say this, which I'm sure we can all agree, chasing down a lead is a lot more fun than being chased down! Which is mad, because I used to hate the feeling of watching United or Liverpool knowing they'll likely win but needing them to slip up somewhere.

Since the 2-2 draw in Jan against Chelsea Liverpool have played....

Brentford H (3-0)
Palace A (3-1)dodgy pen at 2-1
Leicester H (2-0)
Burnley A (1-0)
Norwich H (3-1)
Leeds H (6-0)
West Ham H (1-0) Missed tons of chances
Brighton A (2-0)

No wonder they've won 8 on the bounce.

During that run we had...

Chelsea H
Southampton A
Brentford H
Norwich A
Spurs H
Everton A
Rags H
Palace A
Fact is they banked 24 points and gained momentum while we have stuttered. The game at the Ethihad will probably but not certainly decide who wins the title. Liverpool face a challenge during the week which if they overcome it will probably come to us only a point behind. I anticipate an avalanche of wet posteriors around here the day the dippers rock up.

You said they don't drop points when it counts. Clearly, it that were the case, they'd have a few more league titles. They've dropped points when it counted in every season bar one for 30 years.
This is false hope mate, really. As the saying in finance goes, past results are not a reliable indicator of future performance. The failing of Liverpool 5 years ago - never mind 20 years ago - are not relevant to the Liverpool of 2022. They didn't have Van Dyke 5 years ago. Klopp was relatively new in the role 5 years ago. etc

Sure they may - and probably will - drop points from here. But so - probably - will we. And we will win the league if we get our shit together, nothing more, nothing less. But the idea that we will win the league just because of some idea that they are bound to bottle it and we are not, is well, just silly.

This is false hope mate, really. As the saying in finance goes, past results are not a reliable indicator of future performance. The failing of Liverpool 5 years ago - never mind 20 years ago - are not relevant to the Liverpool of 2022. They didn't have Van Dyke 5 years ago. Klopp was relatively new in the role 5 years ago. etc

Sure they may - and probably will - drop points from here. But so - probably - will we. And we will win the league if we get our shit together, nothing more, nothing less. But the idea that we will win the league just because of some idea that they are bound to bottle it and we are not, is well, just silly.
I think you're reading something into my position that I'm not arguing. I don't think Liverpool will drop many points. They're a cracking side. But the idea that they don't drop points when it matters, which is what I was responding to, is based on what? The 8 games against mid-table opposition that they've played in January and February when 8 points behind? Based on previous seasons they do, based on this season they do, based on what?

I think you're reading something into my position that I'm not arguing. I don't think Liverpool will drop many points. They're a cracking side. But the idea that they don't drop points when it matters, which is what I was responding to, is based on what? The 8 games against mid-table opposition that they've played in January and February when 8 points behind? Based on previous seasons they do, based on this season they do, based on what?
I'm not missing it mate. You cannot say Liverpool will drop points when it matters, just because they did in (some) recent seasons. Any more than you can say Chelsea will win the league next year because they did in previous years.

And BTW, the only season previously where it's been a close run thing with the pressure full on and every game being crucial, was the 18/19 season when we got 98 points and won it by 1. They didn't drop a single point in their 9 game run-in (and fortunately, neither did we).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.