The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you call *something* when making a guess about the title race? Experience, squad depth, difficulty to maintain a form over a season count for *nothing at all*?

Which part doesn't fit my logic?

Yes, claiming a 35% chance of them not dropping 18+ points based on Arteta isn't Klopp, it is hard to maintain form, etc is basing it on nothing.

Re the second bit, in fairness I misread what you meant and edited mine, but you seem to have started the response before I did.

Well we've beaten them 10 times in a row in the league so why wouldn't we beat them home and away? We don't have to be faultless, because they'll drop points too. We've had a poor first half of the season in all honesty, but we've got a track record of putting a run together so I have to believe we can do it again. Arsenal have set a crazy pace, but I'd be astounded if they carried that through to the end of the season. They're on for 100pts. There's no way they're good enough to keep winning and amassing points at their current rate. They might not fall off a cliff, but even a couple of losses here and there, as well as losing to us and high 80s is their trajectory. If we can get 90pts I think we'll win the league.
Liverpool had 51 points at this stage, a point more than Arsenal have now, according to radio this morning, but City overhauled them. So, chins up; plenty to play for.

You're going for 19 pts dropped in 19 games? I.e. P19 W12 D2 L5? Something like that?

People take form over 19 games a bit too seriously. Big changes in form can easily happen. Arsenal dropped 18 pts in the last 13 games last season. They are much better this season, but we'll see for how long.

1-2 injuries at CB and CM may derail their season. They've fielded the likes of Saliba, Gabriel, Xhaka, Partey, Odegaard, Saka, Martinelli almost every game so far. Injuries to 2-3 of those and they will struggle big time. And injuries can happen at any moment.

If they go over 90 pts, they'll deserve the title, unless City are out of this world in the next 18 games.

Yes, claiming a 35% chance of them not dropping 18+ points based on Arteta isn't Klopp, it is hard to maintain form, etc is basing it on nothing.

Re the second bit, in fairness I misread what you meant and edited mine, but you seem to have started the response before I did.

You take their form over the first 19 games as strongly predictive of their form over the next 19 games, and I don't, for I think that form can change dramatically, and it has happened to more experienced teams than them. You don't agree, that's fine. Let's see what happens.

If we beat them home and away then the gap is 2 points, which is nothing.

They are playing well and are deservedly top but a long way to go and we will both drop points. As someone else had said, if it was the other way around we wouldn’t think it over.

A pity it wasn’t a draw yesterday. Although a win for the rags would certainly have helped us in one sense, it would have definitely been a mixed blessing.

On balance I’d rather have the rags back in their box and hope we can do it on our own than have a three horse race, with the risk that they won it.

Does anyone have the same view?

People take form over 19 games a bit too seriously. Big changes in form can easily happen. Arsenal dropped 18 pts in the last 13 games last season. They are much better this season, but we'll see for how long.

1-2 injuries at CB and CM may derail their season. They've fielded the likes of Saliba, Gabriel, Xhaka, Partey, Odegaard, Saka, Martinelli almost every game so far. Injuries to 2-3 of those and they will struggle big time. And injuries can happen at any moment.

If they go over 90 pts, they'll deserve the title, unless City are out of this world in the next 18 games.
Ok, just wondered.

Cheers.

I rather think that Arsenal are absolutely on target for 100 points this season and will win such. Even if not, 97 points plus is likely.

The title has, unfortunately sailed - it's out of our hands - even if we play better than Arsenal (which I doubt that we will) from here on in... time to focus on Champion's League and the FA Cup.
No wonder the Vietnamese kicked America’s ass

You take their form over the first 19 games as strongly predictive of their form over the next 19 games, and I don't, for I think that form can change dramatically, and it has happened to more experienced teams than them. You don't agree, that's fine. Let's see what happens.

No, I too expect them to drop points, more than they have already. I don't expect them to get 100 points thats for sure. Just not as many as you are going for.

Either way, to argue they only have a 35% chance of getting 90 points is just daft mate.

If you think Arteta is already about as good as Pep and Klopp, what do you think, how many Arsenal players would start for those City and Liverpool teams that won 95+ pts?

Maybe Saliba over Matip and Otamendi (Kompany, Stones?). Saka over Sterling? Odegaard over some Liverpool midfielder? That's it. They aren't close in terms of first team and squad as yet. They have excellent young players who may reach world-class level, but they aren't world-class now.

In contrast to City and Liverpool, Arsenal are not in the CL and will probably play mostly squad players in the EL. This may help them in the league, but by how much remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.