The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted this in the Arsenal thread, but for context - here's the points totals for the first and second halves of the season for the top 10 points totals in the PL era:

Chelsea 05/06 - 91pts (52/39)
Rags 99/00 - 91pts (45/46)
Dippers 21/22 - 92pts (44/48)
Chelsea 16/17 - 93pts (49/44)
City 21/22 - 93pts (47/46)
Chelsea 04/05 - 95pts (46/49)
Dippers 18/19 - 97pts (51/46)
City 18/19 - 98pts (44/54)
Dippers 19/20 - 99pts (55/44)
City 17/18 - 100pts (55/45)

Tends to be a fair fluctuation in performances. Saying Arsenal "only" need 40 pts to make 90 is dismissing how difficult it can be. They've not got a squad or any prior form to suggest they'll get into the list above. Keep the faith. Momentum will change when we give them a battering on Friday.

If they somehow don't get 90 points, does that mean they don't get the title?

Thanks for that post.

Chelsea in 05/06 dropped only 5 pts in the 1st half of the season and 18 pts in the 2nd half. And they had a much better squad than this Arsenal. It doesn't mean Arsenal will be the same, only that it's far from guaranteed they won't be like that.

I'm more worried about us. Several key players from the previous two seasons are not in form or thinking about leaving. Pep should help them to perform at their best in the run-in. Otherwise, it will be difficult.

They didn't 'drop 18 points in the second half of the season'. They raced ahead and won the league in april, and tailed off after that.

Last edited:
If they somehow don't get 90 points, does that mean they don't get the title?

Mate, I'm burnt out! Got far too invested in this silly comparison and I don't know what it means. Maybe they'll get 55pts and smash our record? Maybe they'll drop off and miss out on the top 4? Who the fuck knows.

Bottom line is, I would expect us to need around the 90pt mark which we can get to if we click. I've not thrown in the towel yet!

Now that March TV games are confirmed, here's a look at how things pan out in terms of who plays first each weekend over the next couple of months. Most people would agree that in a title race, it's preferable to play first in order to (hopefully) win and put pressure on your rivals.

4th/5th February - Arsenal
11th/12th February - Arsenal
18th/19th February - Arsenal
25th/26th February - Arsenal
4th/5th March - City
11th/12th March - City
18th/19th March - Arsenal (FA Cup sixth round weekend - one or both teams may end up without a PL game)

So not as ideal as it might have been. Part of this is down to Arsenal's Europa League Thursday night commitments and if they progress in the competition, that will remain a factor. Hopefully the scheduling for April and May will be a little kinder for us but I'm not holding my breath.

Didn't know which thread to put this in, but this seems as good as any.

My two pence worth. Things feel like they're a bit off at the minute with the team, but every team has a slump every season. Not many can go a full season without hitting some sort of wall. We do it every season around this time, but then start picking up again around now.

That's in the few short years I've watched City.

Anyway all i'm saying is I reckon good times are coming just round the corner!

Come on City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.