The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The issues are 100% the left back nonsense we've allowed to get worse and worse for years to the point it's impacted our RB and CB options.

the Keeper has never been a great shot stopper but we've generally been solid enough at the back to make that not an issue, now teams just lump the ball down whatever wing we are doing some experimental fullback bullshit and we concede a chance.

We've had Cancelo, Ake, Laporte, Lewis, Gomez, Foden and Bernardo Silva playing there nominally this season if that doesn't tell you they don't have a clue how to fix it nothing will.

When we play a solid CB out there and try and have the RB pushing into midfield and we get countered down the right rather than left.

We've had our best all round CB (Stones) either playing RB or getting injured being constantly dragged out wide to cover a fullback who's been trying to play holding midfield.

The 2 years of false 9 and extra midfield cover it gave you generally covered for the shiteness at left back as it bunged up the middle of the pitch and reduced the opportunity to counter.

I don't see how it gets resolved before summer, only way I can think is Ake left back Walker RB Stones CB but pushing into midfield when we have the ball

100% spot on.

This season feels a bit too much like 19/20, honestly. It's been very stop-start. We've won a couple games, people have started to hype us up, then we shudder to a halt with dropped points. Some fans say "We always drop points at some time or another, but wait, we'll see a reaction from the team." Then we win a couple games, we get hyped up again, and then drop points again. Repeat cycle. Very frustrating, and not at all the sign of a title-winning side.

The issues are 100% the left back nonsense we've allowed to get worse and worse for years to the point it's impacted our RB and CB options.

the Keeper has never been a great shot stopper but we've generally been solid enough at the back to make that not an issue, now teams just lump the ball down whatever wing we are doing some experimental fullback bullshit and we concede a chance.

We've had Cancelo, Ake, Laporte, Lewis, Gomez, Foden and Bernardo Silva playing there nominally this season if that doesn't tell you they don't have a clue how to fix it nothing will.

When we play a solid CB out there and try and have the RB pushing into midfield and we get countered down the right rather than left.

We've had our best all round CB (Stones) either playing RB or getting injured being constantly dragged out wide to cover a fullback who's been trying to play holding midfield.

The 2 years of false 9 and extra midfield cover it gave you generally covered for the shiteness at left back as it bunged up the middle of the pitch and reduced the opportunity to counter.

I don't see how it gets resolved before summer, only way I can think is Ake left back Walker RB Stones CB but pushing into midfield when we have the ball

Bang on the money!

I've said on another thread that the false 9 system was working perfectly for us. Signing Haaland forced Pep to accommodate him as a first choice in the team.

For all his goals, signing Haaland has done little more than disrupted a successful system, and blocked opportunities for Alvarez, a player far more suited to the false 9 system.

The sad fact is that we've been miles off our usual / expected levels of performance all over the pitch since we signed Haaland. The alarm bells started ringing for me when we allowed the rags to score three in the derby. Although we scored 6 that day, there was something not quite right imo.

Personally, I think Haaland was signed by Txiki with an eye on future profits on sale rather than actually strengthening the team.

Personally, I think Haaland was signed by Txiki with an eye on future profits on sale rather than actually strengthening the team.
That was part of the reasoning as he will make the club a fortune not only when he's sold but also marketing wise while he's here.

But i can't believe Pep wasn't involved in the decision and didn't give his blessing, it's his team after all.

Everyone including Pep could see we needed someone to finish the chances we were creating and after we didn't get Kane he was the obvious choice, especially for that price.

Erling is still young and needs to get used to the physicality of the league and he needs time to be a better all round footballer to play in a Pep side.
Both will come and I truly believe he'll be the best striker in the World in a couple of years.

The other problem though is that the team is still unbalanced.

Not getting an left back in the summer was a big mistake. We obviously put all our eggs in the Cucarella basket and after that fell through we've being trying to make do ever since.
One or even two fullbacks (if Cancelo doesn't return) is the priority signing in the summer as I really think having overlapping fullbacks next season will be how Pep will want to play.

Bang on the money!

I've said on another thread that the false 9 system was working perfectly for us. Signing Haaland forced Pep to accommodate him as a first choice in the team.

For all his goals, signing Haaland has done little more than disrupted a successful system, and blocked opportunities for Alvarez, a player far more suited to the false 9 system.

The sad fact is that we've been miles off our usual / expected levels of performance all over the pitch since we signed Haaland. The alarm bells started ringing for me when we allowed the rags to score three in the derby. Although we scored 6 that day, there was something not quite right imo.

Perhaps it takes time to rebuild a side around a player like Haaland. We did have a successful system, but it did let us down from time to time. The reality is that we're close to the pacesetters in the league, beat them in the FA Cup and sailed through our CL group with consummate ease. We need to sign players in the summer who know how to service Haaland as we move away from a false 9 system. Let's also give Haaland time - he's 22 and in his first year. If it was anyone else, people would be saying "it takes time to learn the Pep system, he's still developing, etc.". He will improve and so will our ability to service him.

This season feels a bit too much like 19/20, honestly. It's been very stop-start. We've won a couple games, people have started to hype us up, then we shudder to a halt with dropped points. Some fans say "We always drop points at some time or another, but wait, we'll see a reaction from the team." Then we win a couple games, we get hyped up again, and then drop points again. Repeat cycle. Very frustrating, and not at all the sign of a title-winning side.
Aye when we drop points people go we will take it out on the next team we play and then go on a big run, we beat the next team we play then tend to drop points again. No consistency and that's why we won't win the league. Scum or arsenal will.

We'll be favourites in every league game we play until the end of the season. Arsenal won't be in at least 2 depending on how Liverpool's resurgence plays out.

Odds mean nowt but until we are really behind the 8 ball, it's not over.

If we can scrape out a title win this season it'll be some achievement given how lacklustre we've been in a lot of games this season, and with integrating a big new signing
In general our squad has become weaker since the summer with Cancelo, Sterling, Jesus and Zinchenko leaving and being replaced by Haaland and Ajanki just really (Gomez and Phillips have offered nothing to be included)

If we can manage to get over the line it'll be a bonus title win all things considered.
I expect a big spend in the summer to strengthen some areas of the squad and refresh it in general, and hopefully Haaland will be fully integrated next season and normal service can resume

Perhaps it takes time to rebuild a side around a player like Haaland. We did have a successful system, but it did let us down from time to time. The reality is that we're close to the pacesetters in the league, beat them in the FA Cup and sailed through our CL group with consummate ease. We need to sign players in the summer who know how to service Haaland as we move away from a false 9 system. Let's also give Haaland time - he's 22 and in his first year. If it was anyone else, people would be saying "it takes time to learn the Pep system, he's still developing, etc.". He will improve and so will our ability to service him.

It's not a matter of Haaland improving, it's getting the other players in the squad to break out / let
go of the system that's been very successful for the last two seasons to fit him in.

It reminds me of the Rodney Marsh signing. Fabulous player, loved by everyone, but his introduction had a negative effect on the team that probably cost us the title.

If we win nothing this season, Haaland may end up being remembered as a luxury signing that we didn't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.