The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Difficult to call whether it's to our advantage or not that Arsenal have gone out. Actually, it all depends on the mentality of that specific team. It could be argued that they now only have one thing to concentrate on, and so they'll get it. On the contrary, it could be argued that it puts extra pressure on them to get that one thing, and they'll tighten up.
My general belief has always been that winning creates the habit of winning, and that there's a crossover in the feelgood factor between competitions. I've never deviated in that. That's why I don't at all like seeing City “binning off” competitions — if that's what they do.
Separate issue, but I also don't like this rather mediocre United side that's being bigged up by the sycophantic media get a clear run at any kind of trophy. Not that there aren't some still rather useful teams left in the Europa League. And we at least can stop them in the F.A. Cup — if we can get past Burnley.

fucking Arsenal have all the time to relax given they play the Friday 21st before the City-Arsenal game, while we have a CL second leg that week and Brighton away on Sunday. joke...

That's one way of looking at it. The other way it that they all have all the time in the world to sit and stew. And watch us play our beautiful football. And worry that they're going to fall at the final hurdle of an admittedly terrific season.

I always thought its what we do! Teams make it a lot more a harder for us and our possession game does that where as Arsenal make it more of a end to end more direct when they attack rarely pass back when on a break to build again!

I have been of the belief when City have been in a similar position it can really deflate us.

They will have been believing in the hype. They got outplayed in the 2nd half by a team 4th in their own lge.

Its just very unfortunate that the play a team in abject form this weekend. (Just sacked Viera)

so it is CL QF second leg n a Tuesday or Wednesday (18th or 19th of April), then 3 days later Brighton away then 3 days later Arsenal home.

that 3 games will make or break our season. I hope at least we get the CL draw so we can finish the tie in Etihad and not with an away game.

Brighton away especially tricky, with the way they play and confidence they have from De Zerbi, high tempo game too.

fucking Arsenal have all the time to relax given they play the Friday 21st before the City-Arsenal game, while we have a CL second leg that week and Brighton away on Sunday. joke...
Brighton game may be off as it's FA Cup semi final weekend. They are at home to Grimsby and we have Burnley. Surely one of us at least will make the semi

That's one way of looking at it. The other way it that they all have all the time in the world to sit and stew. And watch us play our beautiful football. And worry that they're going to fall at the final hurdle of an admittedly terrific season.

Certainly when it comes to City I feel like we're much better when we play regularly and are in a rhythm. That game is irrelevant until a few days before it whereas for Arsenal, like you say, it's a focus for a long time and can therefore build up the nerves. They would benefit from being in the Europa in my opinion. They're a team that has been mentally weak before. Last season they were nailed on for 4th but absolutely bottled it, to Spurs of all teams. So they'll start creaking when each game has that added pressure with no distraction. They might still get the job done, but we shall see. This could galvanise them and be used as a tool not to feel that disappointment again. For the majority of their squad this is their first time competing for anything significant though, pressure will tell. It's not like Leicester where they really didn't expect to win. Those Arsenal fans expect now, the media will be all over them if they slip up. Can they handle it?

I have been of the belief when City have been in a similar position it can really deflate us.

They will have been believing in the hype. They got outplayed in the 2nd half by a team 4th in their own lge.

Its just very unfortunate that the play a team in abject form this weekend. (Just sacked Viera)

Again, teams can react in very weird ways to the sacking of a manager. I know nothing about the internal affairs of Palace, but if he'd lost the dressing room, they could suddenly up their game. In any case, they're now playing for their places.
Look, I'm whistling in the dark really. I continue to think that this is one of the home bankers of the season, whatever the circumstances, because the Arse are just a lot better all over the pitch than Palace.

watch them win now haha

Arsenal will drop points - but for us to stand a chance of the league as well as going deep in the 2 cup competitions they’ll need to drop points now, and the next game too. I don’t think there’s enough time left in the season for us to get our noses far enough in front to rotate what @petrusha has clearly explained to be quite a lot smaller a squad than in our treble* year. And Arsenal’s form won’t drop off a cliff either. Arsenal might win the league with a game to spare; cannot see us 3 points clear going down to Brentford.

The stars have to be aligned to get a Yernited Treble. Not this year for us, I think. Thank god I’m not an entitled so-and-so who thinks my club have a god-given right to win stuff every year.

*the club’s daft obsession with calling us the “fourmidables” has diluted its achievement of winning the domestic treble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.