The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what I'm most amazed by is that this has been, by our standards, a pretty iffy season. And yet here we are. It's been far from vintage. Even the first half yesterday, we were calm, fairly controlled, but we weren't what I'd call “good City”. We are capable of winning matches, and indeed titles, without being at our best. We may not win this one, but even to have pushed an Arsenal team playing at their absolute maximum is pretty amazing.
I'm nearly certain that we'll play better next season, through the season.
In a normal season, we would probably be 8-10 points clear now even though we didn’t start playing particularly well until recently. Arsenal have massively outperformed their usual standard.

In a normal season, we would probably be 8-10 points clear now even though we didn’t start playing particularly well until recently. Arsenal have massively outperformed their usual standard.

I don't know if I'd say they've outperformed. I think they've genuinely gone up a level. And they're here to stay, at least in competition for top four places, and possibly competing for the title for several seasons to come. Arteta's done a good job, no question about it.

And, less popular, benching Rico who's a great talent but not up there with Stones.

Stones' current role is another tactical hit by Pep. I shouldn't say that before the games with Bayern, but we've been really good since the experiment with Rico in big games was over after Spurs, maybe because Stones has been great in Rico's role and makes the system work. Genius stuff by Pep. Bayern will be a big test for this new system, but it has been fantastic so far. We look as good as ever under Pep.

Arsenal will drop points in a game or games in which they are strong favourites to win. We are likely to drop points too, for the games with Bayern and hopefully Real/Chelsea may tire key players like Rodri, Haaland, KDB...Generally, it's always possible to drop points. I expect that both us and Arsenal won't win 90 pts. 88-89 pts and champions on GD :)
Btw about the stones role. Yesterday he seemed to struggle a bit? I don't know if it was due to the high pressing + them committing a lot of bodies in the centre or perhaps mental fatigue since this new position requires you to take into consideration so many things even pep said as much that it's not easy for him. I guess it's one of those things where with time you get more and more comfortable with it.

They have enough problems of their own , doubt they would give us a second thought.

They can reasonably aim for Europa League. Not great, I know, for the Bestest Team in The History of the Game, but still worth their while. Liverpool and their fans hate Arsenal too, by the way. They haven't forgotten 1989, I believe. That, too, is part of their ’istree.

(I still think they'll lose, by the way, because their defence, and especially Van Dijk, has turned to absolute shite. They've got nothing much in midfield but then, they never did have).

It feels like the whole season is on a knife edge and it rests with this game at Anfield today. The bookies currently have Arsenal 10/11 on and us 1/1 but at the final whistle today there is going to be a big swing one way or the other. Come on Liverpool!!

Any thoughts on whether the dippers “should be brave” as Klopp puts it or approach the game more conservatively?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.