The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
what I meant to say is sometimes the team that plays the best football does not win the title, results win the title and an ugly win gets you the same as a fantastic win
Over 38 games, the best team always wins the league. Leicester were the best team in 2016. Their system was more effective than anyone else's.

I don't mean style. But scoring more goals than other teams most often and/or losing the fewest games.

Zinchenkos face at the full time whistle said it all. He looked absolutely gutted.
if the reaction of my arsenal mate, seasonticket holder, is anything to go by, then the fans are feeling the same way.

we agreed a few weeks ago that some run-in banter was okay.
after their game i sent him a gif of yoda dancing with a beer in his hand.
he just replied, "Thats it the titles yours again."

you shouldn't kick a man when he's down so i didn't pick him up on his grammar, but his mood suggests that today wounded them heavily.

Not true, the best team does not always win the league. We are the best team in the league but we not win it. Sometimes teams have good runs that are long ones. That’s what Leicester did. They were Champions, they deserved It, but they were not the league’s best team.
Indeed. It’s far more nuanced than simply ‘the best team always wins the league’.

There are times when the best team have injuries and suspensions at key times that another team have at less key times and fewer key players, or not at all. In even finer detail to that there are times where certain players are injured or suspended and you face a certain team in the fixture list without them that those players would have done well against.

Some seasons, you can have a run of fixtures where the teams you face are bang in form and have all their players fit yet when your rival plays them they’re in their worst form of the season, have a load of players out and the points gained each are a bit skewed. Or one team facing a team who’ve had an easy fixture seven days before and they’re bang at it against you, but when your rivals play them they’ve just come off a tough CL away game or an FA Cup replay that went to extra time and they’re knackered.

Sometimes things like a stupid Winter World Cup that nobody wanted can have a big effect, more players involved in international games, players coming back injured or too fat from internationals, while another team doesn’t have as many involved so their season is affected less.

Even things like the weather make a difference. One team could play Everton in storm when there’s a mud bath of a pitch and it’s a total leveller, whereas your rivals play them in nice spring sunshine.

That’s why one season is never a good barometer to judge a team.

The team who wins the league deserves to win it but it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re the best team.

One plus for City is that we could have two games a week now until the end of the season. It gets the rhythm and momentum going for the run-in. No time to ponder and worry about the next game too much because the next game comes so quickly, you are forced to be ‘on it’ all the time.

Whereas Arsenal do have time to worry about each game. They only have one midweek game left.
Yip that’s my take on it,you can see the benefits of both but i would lean more on ( injuries aside ) playing 2 games a week as you say keeps rhythm and momentum going,we seen what happened when we wrapped the league up and rested players in games before the champions league final we lost momentum although pep didn’t help with his tinkering unfortunately..

I detected Arsenal‘s vulnerability today, yep I know Anfield is a cauldron but if we can beat Arsenal and equal their results, the title is ours, it is back in our hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.