The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea now because of the World Cup and which teams will hit it of the start! Anyway still 24 games to go it’s going to be tight at the top I feel!

OK, we haven't played the Gunners at all. Big, big question mark, there.
We haven't played Spurs at all, but bogey team status notwithstanding, I'm sure they've flattered to deceive.
But! The two in-form teams (other than Arsenal) we've now played at their gaff. Liverpool and Newcastle United. Didn't do very well out of it, true, but it's done and dusted. Chelsea and United are virtually non-entities this year, I think. Very flakey. Yes, we've had an easier run than the Arse, but not as much as people think.
It's between us and them. Liverpool would have to do something truly monstrous to even get in the title conversation. Not going to happen. It'll be neck and neck, but I believe. I believe the more so having finally got to watch that incredible match on Saturday. Our sheer steel and cussedness, allied to the biggest collective skill set in England and probably Europe, will get us through.
As it did in 2012. As it did in 2014. As it did in 2019. As it did in 2022.
Surely we’ve learned enough over the past few seasons to know Liverpool will get every possible ‘rub of the green’ to ensure they are in contention…..will likely be a 10 point gap after today. Arsenal 5 points clear tomorrow…

Some of these posts look a bit premature now don’t they? Arsenal have had a much harder run up til now and could be 5 points ahead at the break
We play Arsenal Twice Spurs Twice and probably full strength Chelsea twice on top of Rags away and Dippers at Home and also
a decent Newcastle side. Ans we will have CL games in between plus FA CupThe only positive is that we can improve 3 times on what we are playing now has we have been in 1.5 gear except maybe that United game (first half only)

Wrote on the previous page that the predictions for an easy title win (by 10 pts or more) are fantasies.

We are still big favourites to win, Pep's the best league manager in history. Much depends on the WC though: how many (key) players will go to the semis. If Portugal and England make the semis, we'll have problems in December and January. The likes of Bernardo and Foden give us energy. Also, much depends on Walker's form. Is he still a top player? Does he show signs of declining and getting injury prone?

Nobody knows, but City are very likely to win the title. Last week, my prediction was 88 pts for us vs 84 pts for Arsenal. Let's see what happens.

The suspicion lingers that we’re perhaps fortunate to be so near the top and are only there due to a relatively easy fixture list so far.

We’re certainly not the team we were in 20/21 or 21/22 but then again at this point in those seasons had we really clicked yet ? It’s just a shame, no a crime, that at the point of the season where we normally move up through the gears we have to pause for FIFA’s money-making shitshow.

We're certainly lowering the benchmark which brings arsenal into it. No way arsenal are getting points in the high 90's but given we've now dropped 7 points from teams outside the big 6 already after just 14 games and we've yet to play anybody decent other than Liverpool at Anfield, add to that a cramped fixture list and what will inevitably be a tired and injured squad that returns from the world cup, we've got a job on our hands getting into the 90's which doesn't seem unlikely for arsenal and Liverpool who are 10 points behind now, are more than capable of getting themselves back in it, especially when they've been to the Emirates, old Trafford and spurs already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.