The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The old truism about last minute winners being something champions do has always struck me as a bit of a cliché that hides as much as it reveals. It's equally likely something runners-up do because realistically those sorts of performances will catch up with you eventually.
Absolutely - I remember when we had four 2-1 wins in a row, with late winners, in three of them, including that last minute Sterling goal at Southampton. But that run was in the middle of an 18 game winning streak in the league, and a run where the only defeat in 33 games was a dead rubber in the CL.

Those Arsenal games against Villa and Bournemouth were injury time winners in far too open games, and they came shortly after a run of three defeats and a draw. Arsenal have now won 7 of their last 15 games in all competitions, suggesting they're symptoms of faltering form, not a team in great form that can dig out a win when needed.

Arsenal are starting to look a bit like Arsenal of old - unplayable when they are on form and everything is going for them. However, when it's not going for them they buckle and blow it.

Against Liverpool, they were superb in the first half then Xhaka lost it with TAA over nothing. It then got Liverpool fired up and they should've beat them 5-2 easily. Today, West Ham deserved the point. Saka missing the penalty is what the pressure does.

I think they are still a great side on the whole, Saka, Odegaard, Martinelli and Jesus are great players but their underbelly is soft. Get into them, niggle them, get a goal against the run of play and the 'old' Arsenal comes back and they crumble!

Ultimately, the way we're playing now not even a VERY good Bayern Munich side can live with us. I suspect Real will go too. We're the best football in the world right now and in our team Ederson, Walker, Dias, Stones, Ake, Rodri, Mahrez, Foden, KdB, Bernardo etc all know that they can go on and win every single game this season. That creates huge pressure on Arsenal.

I can't wait for the game at the Etihad, I think it will be fantastic game.
It will be if we win it :)

If we take Arsenal's form over the last couple of months, they have been running downhill for a while?

City took them to the cleaners, Arsenal bounced back with injury-time winners against United and two struggling teams in Villa and Bournemouth.

They were extremely fortunate against Palace and Leeds at home, prior to the recent capitulations at Liverpool and West Ham.
I think the games after they don't get a great result are telling.

After they lost to us in the cup, they lost to Everton and drew to Brentford. After they lost to us in the league, they fluked a win at Villa and then scraped past an almightily bad Leicester side. After they screwed up against Liverpool, they screwed up again against West Ham.

I don't think they handle bad results particularly well, especially when their next game is tough. In my opinion, that makes it extra important that we beat them at the Etihad. If we beat them, they'll probably react poorly away at Newcastle, and that, in turn, might give them trouble with Brighton.

Probably too much to hope that they drop points again V Southampton. Although you never know.

But even with Bayern and Sheff Utd first, I’m already looking forward to our next league game.

One of the very few disadvantages about being so good is you get so many games where a comfortable win is almost expected.

But this one is feeling a bit like United in 2012 or Liverpool in 2019. Love night games anyway. But this could be an extra special one we remember for a long time. Hopefully for good reasons.

Two players who especially won’t be happy with their “points gained”
Jesus and zinchenko. Two linchpins for Arsenal who both know first hand how good city are at chasing down rivals
I bet Jesus, Zinchenko, and Arteta all know they are in a world of hurt now. They know the City engine is chugging down the tracks towards them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.