The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes - you're right, if everything else goes exactly as you've got it planned in your head then it makes no difference.

If, something impossible to imagine happens, (like West Ham coming back from 2-0 against Arsenal, or Forest managing one shot on target, and still drawing with City) then it can make a difference ;)
Hooray.

If we get past Sheffield United, Real Madrid and get ahead of Arsenal in the league, I suspect they will all start begging for an Arsenal win to stop any risk to their treble.

Well they have an opportunity to stop the treble themselves if they can get past Brighton.

I had thought this early doors that we'd win the title with a game to spare and lift it post our game against Chelsea at home ... even when we were well behind Arsenal and they were high flying and we weren't playing as well as we are now, I still thought that ... and I know that now that game is coming with possibly two games to spare and not one but I still have this feeling ... that'll be the day!

That's a hell of a claim, gdm. There's many on here would agree with it. You're not saying the PL: you're saying English football.
If we were to win this year, that would make it seven titles in just over a decade — eleven years.
I am. And I’m referring to the last six years, in which we will have won five titles, subject the caveat of us winning 14 on the spin again. I think half a decade to half a dozen years is a better indicator of a group of players, than a decade, as that is their general lifespan. None of our players from our title win in 2014 are in our current squad, and therefore it cannot be regarded as anything other than a wholly separate group of players, as much as united’s team of the mid 90s was different from that of 2008, Giggs apart.

Winning titles under extreme pressure is the ultimate mark of a great squad - and if we win this title in similar style to 2019 and 2022, then that will be an unmatched record of mental resolve in English football and mark this group of players as the very best imo.

No way. Southampton? And at the Emirates? No way. I'm actually hoping for a victory limited to a two or three goal margin. Anything more will make serious inroads into our goal difference advantage, and they'll come to us flying again.

Won't happen, but I would just love a frustrating as fuck 0-0. Parked bus, time wasting, near misses, crowd nerves, the lot. The kind of shit we have had to endure against teams in title chases.

Right, now we're getting somewhere.
If both of us win every game then we still have to BEAT them to win the league right? The same as it was before they drew yesterday.

It is not the same though. For that game, with that one assumption, it arguably is. But over 8 games and the situation overall, it is a big difference.

Last edited:
It would be incredible to repeat that feat again. I think if we did, and thereby won the league, it would have to cement this squad over the last six years as the greatest ever in English football.
We would definitely be in the conversation.

If we do win it, we would be only the 5th club ever to win three titles in a row, add to that the 100 point season, the domestic treble winning season and 5 out of 6 titles and i think the argument can made that we would be the greatest.

A long way to go, but whatever happens we don't look like we're going away any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.