The Title Race 2022/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I thought, but they had six attempts inside the six yard box.

I think that we tend to give a lower weight to attempts from corners as they tend to happen in a flash, so there's no time to think of it as a great chance. If City have a lot of possession followed by someone being given time outside the area and hitting a twenty yard shot a few feet wide feels, then all that build up and the obvious build up to the shot make it feel like a big chance.

The reality is that a lot more of those headers from a yard out result in goals, so it's not s surprise that Everton had a high xG. On another day, if you give an opponent six attempts within a few yards of the goal, theirs a good chance one or two will go in.
Again useless stat

Cause scoreline doesn't match what they think would happan
But that's because there's an element of luck/randomness etc., about it.

Gundo scored from a free kick today. Clearly most of those don't go in, but today's did.

We could have a game where one team had five free kicks from just outside the box, and the other had one. The one goes in, not because that player is brilliant, but they just hit it sweetly on the day.

Scoreline 1-0, but the other team likely played better, and if you replayed the match 100 times, with the same chances, they'd win most of them.

All it reflects is the chances a team create, which is 90% of the game - the final cream on top, is whether the player on the end of the chance has their shooting boots on.

But that's because there's an element of luck/randomness etc., about it.

Gundo scored from a free kick today. Clearly most of those don't go in, but today's did.

We could have a game where one team had five free kicks from just outside the box, and the other had one. The one goes in, not because that player is brilliant, but they just hit it sweetly on the day.

Scoreline 1-0, but the other team likely played better, and if you replayed the match 100 times, with the same chances, they'd win most of them.

All it reflects is the chances a team create, which is 90% of the game - the final cream on top, is whether the player on the end of the chance has their shooting boots on.
I still think it's a useless stat at the end of the day as teams can have a low xG and score more than the other so I doesn't reflect the game in general imo. The most important thing is that the ball goes in the back of the net so they can dress it up how they want in these stats it doesn't change a thing.

Last edited:
What's the most important stat in your mind!??????

To me the 3-0 to us is the most important stat
I feel like the xg debate goes round in circles, but no one is disputing that the final score isn't the most important stat going. But you can't tell me you've never come away from a game saying "we had so many chances to win there, how have we lost?" or "got away with one there". XG is just putting a number on those feelings. If you don't like it, ignore it. But I promise you coaching staff all find these stats useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.