The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Underperforming our xGA by far more than anyone and are the only team in the top 5 underperforming on their expected points.

Liverpool has almost SEVEN more points than expected, Arsenal 4 more, and Villa almost 8.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 10.30.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 10.30.50 PM.png
    366.1 KB · Views: 10
This was only the 2nd genuinely bad result we’ve had this season, the first being Wolves. No need to panic, a shitload of points still to play for, no outstanding rival and the main ones we have both carry heavy emotional baggage of disastrous / heartbreaking title run ins

I think we come back from our welcome break in the Middle East refreshed mentally and ready to get on a run again as we enter a part of the season that always sees us become stronger conditioning wise as our rivals fitness deteriorates.

It’s only natural for fans of a certain age to be gloomy about our prospects, but we should take comfort in the fact that the vast majority of fans of other clubs are absolutely petrified of City.
The chelsea result was terrible I'd say the spurs result was also a bad one.

The prerogative is getting champions league football.
We might fall short of retaining the title, due to our personal performances and several teams currently playing well, but it is essential that we finish in the top 4.

I think the Premier league title is between ourselves, Arsenal and Liverpool but any of this 3 slipping up could let Newcastle Spurs Villa etc. sneak in.
At this point we're on the periphery of the race. Not because of the gap but because we're a mess and I'm sorry but that includes Pep. If he doesn't get his shit together we have no chance. There are no free lunches in professional sports. Pep gets loads of credit for our many successes but that doesn't mean he's immune from some criticism when it's due and right now he's doing a shit job, simple as...it's not the end of the world but it is what it is.

The very exact moment where the downfall started.
we will not recover from this, maybe even in the next season he was given an insane contract and even worse the captain's armband

At this point we're on the periphery of the race. Not because of the gap but because we're a mess and I'm sorry but that includes Pep. If he doesn't get his shit together we have no chance. There are no free lunches in professional sports. Pep gets loads of credit for our many successes but that doesn't mean he's immune from some criticism when it's due and right now he's doing a shit job, simple as...it's not the end of the world but it is what it is.

Pep is only human and is allowed to be tired or to make mistakes. He wants success more than the fans. It's his job and his life. It's not like he has decided to have a rest this season or to make experiments for the sake of it. He realizes that winning 4 league titles in a row is a unique opportunity. But the players are only human, too. Our problem is that we can't stay concentrated, which may be due to mental fatigue from last season. Or complacency. Also, we were probably a bit lucky with injuries last season. Now we aren't, and we aren't lucky in that the opposition scores from random chances or mistakes. We are going through a difficult period. The reason is not that Pep or the players are not professional enough. That would be a ridiculous complaint, given what they've achieved over the last 5-6 years.

Everyone is talking about this run, but it’s just as likely that it doesn’t come this season and we just continue our inconsistent form.
Most of the teams we’ve dropped points against have either been not very good, ravaged by injuries or else in poor form. Plenty more dropped points to come I think.

You are totally right.

But I am also totally right in that we Can go on a run, as we have seen time and time again. And every time we have, it was preceded by 'inconsistent' form.

What happens next, we will see.

What is worth noting though, is that every team is capable of dropping points in consecutive games or playing inconsistently. But only we are capable of going on say a 14 game winning run.

I couldn't believe the whiney posts on here after Villla. So I put a balls out "we are the best team in the league by a mile" post. Tough run over, the wins will flow and we will march to 4 in a row against the piss poor opposition we face.

That draw feels much like the one against Everton on NYE last year. Like it might be one too many bad games.

I am used to mixed results at this stage of the season, but I don't remember us ever being so poor at seeing games out. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Palace all with goals against us in the last 10 (injury time in most) see us lose 9pts.

Is it a good sign or a bad one, as we have been ahead in all?!

We desperately need a leader to help see us comfortably see through games. Even against Luton we were frantic trying to hold on to the win.

Yes, but now we may be relying on all of Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa and perhaps Spurs to have meltdowns over the next four months or so.

And go on one of our legendary unbeaten/winning runs....

It's definitely possible but I'm not as confident as I have been in the past.

I can honestly claim, that I am no less confident, than I have been any other season.

Including when we were 12 points clear in January, only to then find ourselves within 15 minutes of losing it.

Such a weird season so far
Awful transfer window leaving us with a small squad
Then a great start
Since then we threw away some leads but played well in games
Now we just seem to have lost our mojo and teams aren’t scared

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.