The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My feeling is that we won't win all three games before CWC. Hope I'm wrong but think things will get worse before they improve, maybe most of us will get pessimistic about the season. Can see both Arsenal and Liverpool being 6-8 pts clear, with City having a game in hand.

At some point it will seem that the title is beyond us, and then it will be up for grabs again.

This is what I posted after Spurs and Villa.

As things stand, we might be 12 pts off Liverpool before Everton away with 2 games in hand. IF we win at Everton, we can win the league again. IF we drop points, this is likely to be a transition season in the league. We'll need then a United-style (2012) collapse from both Liverpool and Arsenal. Not impossible to happen but unlikely.

If we do miss out due to us being late getting up to speed then so beit. Just make sure we give it a good go in the final stretch (or at least win the FA Cup or a longer shot the Champions League)

We aren't dropping points because we are late getting up to speed. We are dropping points because we ran out of momentum.

We started the season storming, wining more opening games than ever before. We became complacent, coinciding with some basic plain bad luck seeing margins go against us.

Agree though, if we miss out because of it, we miss out. As long as we get back to our top the rest of it.

Obviously too early to write us off - we could suddenly put a run together, as we’ve done often enough in the past few seasons. And the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal aren’t looking great at all - both been pretty lucky to pick up as many points as they have, and both look like they could still drop plenty between now and the end of the season.

That said, it does feel a bit different with us this season. Players look mentally shot - throwing away leads late on is a horrible habit - and we’ve got obvious problems with the lack of viable options in the centre of midfield.

If Stones can get back properly fit and play most games, we might still be in with a chance. If not, it will be a struggle and top 3/4 might be the best we can do.

worst season in Pep Guardiola era

Thus far. And 20/21 being on there should give us a bit of hope. Had we held on yesterday then it would have been our fifth best start out of eight.

But something seems to be wrong at the moment. There are still passages of good play in all of our games (except Villa), but we seem loose and casual. We're mentally and perhaps physically below where we need to be. January is such a big month - it's not loaded with fixtures so there is chance to recover and work on things, but perhaps above all we need to bring in a new face or two. I also fear that counting on KDB to save us may be a forlorn hope by the time he's hitting his straps. He could be key to our CL hopes, however.

I don't see anything from the optimists apart from blind faith that everything will suddenly come good and our rivals will all implode.

In reality our lack of squad depth has been exposed and we're now discovering that Alvarez isn't quite as prolific when regularly starting games. Completely different last season when he was coming on as sub and the game was opening up.

We're badly missing Gundogan but it's not that easy to find an exact replacement

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.