The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Two weeks back you probably saw rather a lot of this image. Safe to say there was a fair bit of panic about the stat.

View attachment 102880

Well here's how each season under Pep ranks after 19 games.

UNDER GUARDIOLAPOINTSPOSITIONPOINTS OFF 1STEND POSITION (Pts)
2016-17395th103rd (78)
2017-18551st-N/A-1st (100)
2018-19443rd71st (98)
2019-20383rd142nd (81)
2020-21411st-N/A1st (86)
2021-22471st-N/A-1st (93)
2022-23392nd51st (89)
2023-24403rd2??

IIRC, Arsenal had 50 pts after 19 games in 22/23. That's why many thought they were likely to win 95+ pts. We must have had 42-43 pts at that stage of last season.

Edit: yup, Arsenal were on 50 pts, and City on 42 pts after 19 games. We are only 2 pts worse off compared to last season despite not having KDB and Stones and being seriously unlucky in some games. We are doing well.

Last edited:
It’s around this time we usually start banging nails into the red shirts coffins, and I don’t expect it to be any different this time

Despite generally being confident that City will use the winter to put together a run of wins and in doing so increase the pressure on everyone else - there is still a bit of me that knows we cant get away with it every year. At some point we will not be good enough to maintain the standards we have become used to and someone else will take advantage. So, I'm wary of the over confidence that seems to be creeping on here - just because we have done it before doesn't mean that we can do it again. Yet, this is a wonderful group of players - even though some are learning Pep's ways, and some are even learning the ways of the Premier League - I can see enough to suggest they can put a good run together - will it be enough, I don't know - but as ever it will be fun & interesting to watch!

Despite generally being confident that City will use the winter to put together a run of wins and in doing so increase the pressure on everyone else - there is still a bit of me that knows we cant get away with it every year. At some point we will not be good enough to maintain the standards we have become used to and someone else will take advantage. So, I'm wary of the over confidence that seems to be creeping on here - just because we have done it before doesn't mean that we can do it again. Yet, this is a wonderful group of players - even though some are learning Pep's ways, and some are even learning the ways of the Premier League - I can see enough to suggest they can put a good run together - will it be enough, I don't know - but as ever it will be fun & interesting to watch!
I don't see the Dippers dropping any points at all. They annoy me, like a pungent smell that never disappears.

I think much of what you say is fair comment and past performance is certainly no guarantee of future success, but I think what many were baffled by, and thought was grossly unfair, myself included, is the way that some of our supporters were willing to completely write off our chances this season, in turn ignoring our previous track record altogether, like it counted for absolutely nothing, which imo is far worse as a football supporte, than placing too much faith in it.

They allowed their own personal neuroses and insecurities to overcome logic and experience and felt the need to then share that with everyone. It seemed in some quarters they would rather call it correctly early on (presumably so they could say I told you so) rather than sensibly waiting to see what emerged in the new year, when we have always been stronger under Guardiola, 2017/18 apart.

I personally felt that their lack of faith and patience to this manager, and a complete absence of any benefit of doubt being given to him, after all he has achieved for this club, and the joy he has brought us all, was both ungrateful and disrespectful.

Still think this is wide open, and I don’t feel we are as strong as in previous seasons, but this is, as much as it was earlier this month, still very much on.

Is anyone still suggesting it’s not? Because unless you are still suggesting that, then the only conclusion that can be drawn is what you previously said was hasty, ill-judged, irrational and plainly wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.