The Title Race - 2023/24

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's easy to say what shouldn't have happened, but context matters. And the context is that it takes super human efforts to be in with a chance for back to back trebles. That is to say, regrets about draws here and there after winning the Treble the previous season and still competing for the Treble this season are largely pointless.

Personally, I'm grateful City are still in all big competitions. Imo, anyone betting against City is likely to lose money.
I've been making bets on Liverpool to win outright for the last few months, fingers crossed, it worked the season we beat them by a point

I know many are not fans of xG (and similar statistical assessment methods now pervasive in football analysis), and it does have it’s issues, but I do think it can be a helpful metric for benchmarking once you have 30+ games played.

What is interesting about the current xG numbers for all clubs in the league, is that we have the second highest aggregate xG (behind Liverpool), but have essentially an even xG Differential (similar to Spurs), whilst Arsenal are outperforming their xG and Liverpool are underperforming their xG. For reference, last year City, Arsenal, and Spurs were the teams that over-performed their xG, whilst Liverpool also underperformed.

It will be interesting to see if Arsenal can keep that over-performance up over the final 8 games, whether Liverpool will continue to underperform, and whether we can improve our chance conversion.

IMG-1663.jpg

The xG is lower for City this season down to the robot misfiring

I give them credit when they fully deserve it not when they are still getting assistance. If PGMOL have any bottle VVD should have a similar ban to what Rodri had recieved. The only thing the Liverpool have got going for them is they don't time waste
Especially when getting into a ground without a ticket.

No fucking about there.

When you see Van Dijk doing a Maguire Heimlich Maneuver on the opposition and not being sent off, you know there's only one outcome for the league.

It's the sheer effrontery of it.
You see certain things, and well, there's a margin for interpretation. You say to yourself, “He was going genuinely for the ball, and he caught the player unfortunately in the follow-through, so no penalty”. Or, on the contrary, yes, there's got to be a penalty.
But with what Van Dijk did, there is just no interpretation, no uncertainty, no ambiguity. He's off, and that's it. I didn't complain for one second about Rod being sent off. I thought, “You stupid prick” and that was it. “Yes, you were provoked, but you know the rules, and you're responsible to the team”.
It's truly incredible that that decision simply happens in the face of the world, as if to say a big “Fuck you, we love the dippers, and they're going to do it for Jurgen, and that's it.”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.