The Title Race - 2024/25

How many points to win the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, I know this much.
We may not be playing particularly well, but we're certainly not playing worse than we were at this stage last year. People forget. Think on this…
We really struggled to beat Sheffield United, then got a fairly comfortable series of victories. But it's noticeable that we kept shipping goals. Clean sheets were rare. We were put out of the League Cup towards the end of September by Newcastle, then beaten in short order by Wolves and Arsenal. By early October we'd been beaten twice. Furthermore, not very convincing performances which involved the shipping of goals continued until late into the autumn, because we drew against Spurs at our place, Chelsea at theirs, Liverpool and Palace at our place (in all cases, shipping goals), and were defeated for the third time before Christmas at Villa in early December. Really not a particularly scintillating autumn.
There are problems, most obviously the screening of the defence by two fine footballers who are neither of them in the first flush of youth, to put it mildly. But we are towards the end of October, and unbeaten. I think our two rivals have both got weaknesses, but the media get giddy about Arsenal, then get giddy about Liverpool, on alternate weeks, simply because they just want to see anyone beat City to the title. The headlines this morning are instructive: ‘Liverpool can go all the way’ because Micah Richards says so (yeah, thanks for that insight, Micah), but, grudgingly, there was ‘drama’ at Molineux (sub-text: City stole it). There was no drama whatsoever at Molineux, and if Chelsea had anyone apart from Palmer who can finish properly that would have been a draw at Anfield. One becomes weary of the way the media constantly puts its thumb in the pan to weigh down the scales. But it will continue… sigh.
I think this guy from Catalonia will find the solution to the defensive midfield. I also think he'll renew. And hearts will sink in Liverpool and north London when he does.

Well, I know this much.
We may not be playing particularly well, but we're certainly not playing worse than we were at this stage last year. People forget. Think on this…
We really struggled to beat Sheffield United, then got a fairly comfortable series of victories. But it's noticeable that we kept shipping goals. Clean sheets were rare. We were put out of the League Cup towards the end of September by Newcastle, then beaten in short order by Wolves and Arsenal. By early October we'd been beaten twice. Furthermore, not very convincing performances which involved the shipping of goals continued until late into the autumn, because we drew against Spurs at our place, Chelsea at theirs, Liverpool and Palace at our place (in all cases, shipping goals), and were defeated for the third time before Christmas at Villa in early December. Really not a particularly scintillating autumn.
There are problems, most obviously the screening of the defence by two fine footballers who are neither of them in the first flush of youth, to put it mildly. But we are towards the end of October, and unbeaten. I think our two rivals have both got weaknesses, but the media get giddy about Arsenal, then get giddy about Liverpool, on alternate weeks, simply because they just want to see anyone beat City to the title. The headlines this morning are instructive: ‘Liverpool can go all the way’ because Micah Richards says so (yeah, thanks for that insight, Micah), but, grudgingly, there was ‘drama’ at Molineux (sub-text: City stole it). There was no drama whatsoever at Molineux, and if Chelsea had anyone apart from Palmer who can finish properly that would have been a draw at Anfield. One becomes weary of the way the media constantly puts its thumb in the pan to weigh down the scales. But it will continue… sigh.
I think this guy from Catalonia will find the solution to the defensive midfield. I also think he'll renew. And hearts will sink in Liverpool and north London when he does.
Top post.

Well unless we stop conceding stupid goals like we are we aren't going to win the league.
2 games on the bounce (Fulham and Wolves) where we could easily have drawn.
At some point our luck will not hold against defensively solid sides.
Liverpool would destroy us on the counter. Probably Villa too.

I know what it takes mate. My point was neither City, Arsenal or Liverpool are playing well enough to make a prediction.

City and Arsenal both have key players out, Liverpool have been ok injury wise but their squad is a little light imo.
No one is really pulling up trees at the moment in terms of quality at the top I think it may be a poor season

Well unless we stop conceding stupid goals like we are we aren't going to win the league.
2 games on the bounce (Fulham and Wolves) where we could easily have drawn.
At some point our luck will not hold against defensively solid sides.
Liverpool would destroy us on the counter. Probably Villa too.
You can include Brentford in that too. We haven't played well since August. Thankfully we have got the points on the board. This tends to happen most seasons to be fair. We know when we usually kick into gear.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.