The Tottenham Thread 12/13

Manc in London said:
Hopefully Arsenal miss out not only this year, but for a few years after that. For too long we have heard that they are a remarkably 'well run' club. Well let's see how well run they are when they don't have the 'guaranteed' millions from the CL.

Plus anything that has the potential to give Piers Morgan an aneurysm is fine with me.

Matty said:
There's only 4 Champion's League spots available (assuming United or Arsenal don't "do a Chelsea" and fluke the Champion's League) from the league and it'd be a complete shock if City and United didn't take 2 of them, probably the top 2 as well. That leaves 2 spots available, and I think you can legitimately argue that Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton are the only sides in with a shot at them. Chelsea may well have lost last night to QPR, and Benitez is nothing more than a stop gap manager, but I still think Chelsea are the favourites for 1 of those spots, I can't see them not finishing in the top 4 for a second season. So that's 1 spot between 3 sides. You'd have Arsenal as the favourites for that spot too, yes they're not at their strongest at present, but they've not failed to qualify for the Champion's League this millenium whereas Spurs and Everton have 1 champion's league qualifying campaign each since it was renamed back in the early 1990's. Can Spurs qualify? Yes, they would have last season if it weren't for Chelsea's heroics/blind good fortune. Will they? I think they'll just fall short, with a 5th place finish.
They'll both do well to get to the q/f.

Ronnie the Rep said:
Can't stand Bale. His statement last week about "if there's contact I go down, it's a foul" is disgusting. Last I heard football is a mans game that involves contact. If idiots like him thrive then the game as we know it is dead

Hope he never comes near us

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ1pEn0bgDQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ1pEn0bgDQ</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3tyjyi0ESk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3tyjyi0ESk</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ByK9grLLc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ByK9grLLc</a>

Glass houses.

Bilboblue said:
LedleyKing said:
His pace, strength, technical ability, and 9 league goals help ease the pain of all the diving shite.
As long as he keeps playing at this level and we keep getting results he can dive every game for all I care
. Would prefer he didn't, but it is what it is.

And that is what is wrong with modern football.

Even Chelsea fans booed Drogba (a minority I concede) when he dived to win a penalty against us at The Bridge.

I fucking hate cheats, with a passion. And yes, even if it was/is one of ours.

One could also say that clubs like City and Chelsea buying their way to success in just a few years, brushing aside clubs like spurs/everton in the process who are progressing on their own merit, are whats wrong with modern football

DeezNuts said:
Bilboblue said:
LedleyKing said:
His pace, strength, technical ability, and 9 league goals help ease the pain of all the diving shite. . Would prefer he didn't, but it is what it is.

Even Chelsea fans booed Drogba (a minority I concede) when he dived to win a penalty against us at The Bridge.

One could also say that clubs like City and Chelsea buying their way to success in just a few years, brushing aside clubs like spurs/everton in the process who are progressing on their own merit, are whats wrong with modern football
So; Spurs haven't bought any of their first choice XI then?

Re: The Tottenham Thr aead 12/13

jimharri said:
DeezNuts said:
Bilboblue said:

So; Spurs haven't bought any of their first choice XI then?

They didn't need a billionaire backer to come up with their funds, you know exactly what i mean. Spurs transfer funds are generated through their own means.

Spurs spent around 50m this summer but they actually made a profit of around 10 million with the sales of Modric and VDV. They cannot afford to spend outside of thier means and their business model of buying youth, generating them, and them making a profit has reaped rewards where you now see them as an established top 4/5 team.

Many clubs can spend outside of their means but it will catch up to them eg: Leeds, Portsmouth, Rangers...

For example take a look at Chelsea, they were on the cusp of going into administration spending massively without having any means of generating income to pay for it, before they had their arses saved by Abramovich and are now a title challenging side. Had that not happened they surely would've gone in the same direction of Leeds. This in turn negates all the good work clubs like Spurs do to maintain a challenge within the league. So, what i mean is, it is what is wrong with modern football these days. What is the message that is being sent out? Not one of hard work and determination. Not that diligence and patience will one day pay off and reap benefits. The message being sent out is that unless you have a wealthy investor come in and spend half a billion on the team, all the hard work will have been in vain.

That is a macrocosm of much that is wrong with football these days. Many of you say a cheat is a disgrace to football, well isn't spending a fortune on a football team and rocketing your way to success in a few short years, while clubs with business models that strive to bring them the same success within admirable means, cheating as well?

Bilboblue said:
LedleyKing said:
His pace, strength, technical ability, and 9 league goals help ease the pain of all the diving shite.
As long as he keeps playing at this level and we keep getting results he can dive every game for all I care
. Would prefer he didn't, but it is what it is.

So you'd be against signing Bale I take it?

Like I said, I'd prefer he weren't so theatrical when he went over (which is what I think has ultimately been the reason for his bookings). But I think there has been contact on more than one of the occasions where he ended up being booked and that there is some validity to the argument that, due to his speed, minimal contact can send him over...moreso than other players.

LedleyKing said:
Bilboblue said:
LedleyKing said:
His pace, strength, technical ability, and 9 league goals help ease the pain of all the diving shite. . Would prefer he didn't, but it is what it is.

So you'd be against signing Bale I take it?

Like I said, I'd prefer he weren't so theatrical when he went over (which is what I think has ultimately been the reason for his bookings). But I think there has been contact on more than one of the occasions where he ended up being booked and that there is some validity to the argument that, due to his speed, minimal contact can send him over...moreso than other players.
Nonsense!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.